DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2015
Spam Deminer

Default NetBSD 7.0 installation

I have an Acer Aspire One D270-1865 netbook. In the past I've installed NetBSD 6.x, and have currently installed FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OpenIndiana, and Solaris 11.3 beta to the internal drive and external USB drives.

However, after going through the installation of NetBSD 7.0 which is successful, when I reboot it says "no active partition" and of course just sits there.

Any ideas?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2015
Spam Deminer

http://wiki.netbsd.org/how_netbsd_boots_on_x86/

Check the section on stage 0 of the bootstrap.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2015
Spam Deminer

I thought of the partition just after I posted and then found the link. Read fdisk. Installed.

What I don't understand: If I now install FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OmniOS, SmartOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris 11.3, my old OpenSolaris, then all of them will whack whatever is there and allow me to boot to them. Why doesn't NetBSD do the same? On one disk I used I had a GPT partition from FreeBSD and another had SmartOS installed. I'd think NetBSD would just whack what is there too.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2015
Spam Deminer

I'm not sure on that one, but I tend to zero out the mbr on any disk before installing the OS. I installed 7.0 on an Asus netbook yesterday from a USB img and had no issues.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2015
Arp Constable

Newer versions of FreeBSD use a GPT bootloader and parts can remain. I do not fully understand it but GPT bootloaders use the first 2 sectors while the older MBR bootloaders just used the initial sector. Apparently, left over sector 2 can corrupt the older MBR bootload process.

I have had good success using gdisk on gparted and following these instructions.