DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2017
New User

Default Boot problems

So I Installed netBSD on an old pentium 1 laptop I had laying around with 32MB ram. The problem is when it goes to boot it hangs on boot: and then I don't know what to type. If I do boot hd0a:netbsd the text turns green but eventually it hangs after attempting to load. I used to use a boot command that seemed to work but now I don't remember what it is.

I also installed FreeBSD on another pc onto the HDD since the installer would not work on this old pc. But when I put it back in it also hangs on boot:

Something must be up with how this old pc uses mbr with hdd? I am not sure. I am using CF to IDE converter if that makes a different. I am also fairly new with BSD but have had more linux experience.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2017
Arp Constable

Depending on the version of FreeBSD, you may have a mix of gpt/mbr boot sectors. There are a number of utilities to zero out the boot sectors or it can be done manually with dd(1). Be aware that many hard drives backup gpt from the first 2 sectors to the last sectors of the drive.

Search for "zero out gpt" and look at http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/index.html
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2017
New User

so after running the installer and booting from cd it asks me for my init path. Not sure why as this should have been installed. Also it says it can't find dev/console. I know it has problems installing console. Every time when I tell it to use BIOS the installer errors and wont let me and I have to choose use default for the installer not to stop. How do I fix init and get it to use console?