DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Default MBR manager to let choose between windows and netbsd

I already had in the past troubles using the standart MBR manager coming with netbsd, and I ain't enough of a poweruser to config GRUB on my own, so I am wondering how I will make a dual boot between a preinstalled windows, and netbsd 7.
I have enough free space saved.

And most of all, I fear that if I install right away NBSD, I'll lost right away access to windows by changing the MBR.
Do you think what works here https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/d...ndows-7.14222/ will work for NBSD ?
I got depressed when I saw such a tool existed(easyBSD) but for FreeBSD. You think it would work the same ? Installing netbsd in the free space, without touching the boot record, then using easybsd as it was freebsd ?

Last edited by spermwhale_warrior; 26th October 2015 at 03:57 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2015
Port Guard

NetBSD installation CD (or usb) allows you not to install the boot manager, if you don't want it. But you have to be cautious. It has happened to me that I didn't want to install it but inadvertently I install it but even mis-configured.
In the installation process, while choosing the partition where to install NetBSD to, be careful no to choose options default: and name:
After you click ok the installation program warn you that not a valid boot manager is configured and if you want to install it . Of course choose NO.

Maybe, but I don't know if installing the default netbsd boot manager could you be allowed to boot windows also, I know for sure that I can boot a linux os in other partition but I don't know if that works for Windows.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2015
standard-bearer

It really depends what do you want besides NetBSD. There was a long time you could use GAG after installation to configure your installed oses and it worked great. Now I have Windows 7 and NetBSD on one hdd, i'm not sure if i use the windows boot manager for selection, but i saw never a problem with this configuration. You can also update your oses without modifying the mbr. So try the way with the windows boot manager and use easybcd.
I have another laptop with windows 10, where i will try to install NetBSD after a windows installation.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2015
Too dumb for a smartphone

Just as another data point, my laptop has WIn7, Slackware, NetBSD and OpenBSD. So I use LILO for them all, but, to get to any of the non-Linux OS's it just chain loads their boot partition. I don't see why NetBSD's boot selector couldn't likewise load Windows similarly, but admittedly I haven't tried that combination.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2015
Fdisk Soldier

So the simplest(if it works, that is !), would be to install right away NBSD, then install GAG, and let's pray that it will recognized ?

Ok, I'll report results.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st November 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Arrow

I once had Windows, NetBSD and Slackware installed on the same disk, with LILO as the boot loader.

Nowadays, to keep things simple, I bought a second HDD and configured the BIOS to use the first disk. When I want to boot the second disk, I use the BIOS loader (same principle: default option in N seconds or/plus selection via F11/arrows for other disks). ... The problems with MBRs are now just a distant memory.

PS: Since I recently found out about the "Return of the Jibbed", I'm thinking about keeping the OSs on external flash drives, but that's work in progress...
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th November 2015
standard-bearer

Ok, i tried a developer snapshot(7.99.21) like always and i'm stuck because of a problem in sysinst. The NetBSD Bootloader can start Windows 10 without problems but during the installation i got the known problem "Old BPB too bug, use -f (may invalidate file system)". So I cannot start NetBSD but Windows 10 works.
There are some comments on the mailing lists for this problem: here.

Last edited by darktrym; 19th November 2015 at 08:17 PM.