DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2010
Banned

Default any one mount a digital camera on OpenBSD and download images from it yet?

I've got a USB Nikon Coolpix digital camera. When i try and mount the usb flash the usual way it doesn't work. Is there something missing?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2010
Banned

There are plenty of people who use their digital cameras with OpenBSD, some work better than others.. some don't work at all.

Posting the attach messages and explaining in more detail the "usual" way you used to mount the device, perhaps we might be able to assist.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie View Post
When i try and mount the usb flash the usual way it doesn't work.
I don't know what you mean by "usual" way.

My Coolpix sports a SDHC card which I simply take out & mount as an MS-DOS filesystem either by inserting into a built-in MMC reader or through an external MMC reader attachable through USB.

I assume the cable which can be attached directly to the camera will do something similar, but I don't know because I don't use that cable.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
There are plenty of people who use their digital cameras with OpenBSD, some work better than others.. some don't work at all.
I have very strongly to refute your post All, absolutely all, digital cameras work perfectly with OpenBSD.

Most people attach digital cameras via USB adapters. In such cases digital cameras are most often seen as external SCSI HDD as long as they are in umass storage devices mode (most cameras are by default in that mode). If not you can play little bit with options (like on older Sony cameras, new once are already in umass). You download pictures by mounting camera

Code:
mount_msdos /dev/sd0i /mnt
and using standard Unix commands cp and mv.
I am assuming that you have only one SCSI HDD which might be false in the light of new commits as most good SATA HDD are now seen as SCSI. Pictures are usually on partition i as any generic MSDOS file system.

If you camera is not seen as umass storage for some reason you may get very inexpensive USB card reader. Those are always seen as SCSI HDD.

You can also use your imagination. For example my kids lost USB connector for my new Sony camera. Instead of waisting money for the new one I observed that my wife's printer HP Photosmart C5250 has four built in digital cameras card readers including the one for the Sony adapter for their memory stick duo pro. I pull out the flash drive from my camera, put adapter on (just like when I go to Walmart to make my pictures) and plug into printer. I can immediately see on Xconsola new SCSI HDD.

Note that libphoto2 library is ported to OpenBSD. I think at this point of that project as useless. You can indeed use liphoto2 library and some of front interfaces (gphoto2 for example) just to attach your camera to OpenBSD and download the pictures but it is unnecessary. For instance by default Sony cameras used to be in PTP mode. You will need libphoto2 to see such camera on OpenBSD but if you just change options to umass it is just SCSI HDD.

I hope that the thread is now closed

Last edited by Oko; 9th September 2010 at 11:46 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2010
Banned

I try not making assumptions about the working status of all devices, but I know for a fact that not all cameras work on OpenBSD.

There are some cheaper cameras that lack support for USB mass storage mode, there are some that aren't quite USB compliant and fail to attach at all, even as ugen(4), and while rare.. some exist that aren't supported by libusb+libgphoto(1/2).

It's safe to say that many devices will indeed work, and as you outlined, are easily accessible.. but it's always possible that you'll run into a device that doesn't work properly with OpenBSD.

All USB disk enclosures should theoretically work on OpenBSD as well, but, I've came across a few that are a little flaky and problematic.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post

All USB disk enclosures should theoretically work on OpenBSD as well, but, I've came across a few that are a little flaky and problematic.
I believe you. But for few extra bucks you might get the one that are properly recognized. So theoretically all digital cameras work.

As of the rest of your comment it is absolutely true but my understanding of the original question was if you can get somehow a digital camera to work with OpenBSD. I still claim that I can get it to work but the solution might not be as pretty as the original poster was seeking. For all I know the guy might have complained that a POP-up window didn't show up when he plugged his camera into OpenBSD asking him if he wants to download the picture. I could probably manage even something close to that with most but not all camera as you suggested.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2010
Arp Constable

I think there might by some confusion generated by the choice of wording in some of the above posts.
Quote:
I have very strongly to refute your post All, absolutely all, digital cameras work perfectly with OpenBSD.
I think it is true that all digital storage cards with the proper interface can be accessed. Libgphoto2 actually contains vendor IDs and I have run into the issue that occurs when a very new camera does not have a vendor ID in libgphoto2. To have the camera recognized one either needs to upgrade to a newer libgphoto2 or manually enter the vendor ID to get the camera (not the digital storage card) to work.

From the change log of libgphoto2-2.4.10
Quote:
Added new IDS: Kodak Z950 Sony DSC-S370 Nikon CoolPix 7600, L110 Panasonic FZ38, DMC-GF1 (only download support), Canon PowerShot D10, SX120 IS Fuji FinePix F60fd, F70 EXR, S1800, S5800 Pentax Optio W90
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2010
Too dumb for a smartphone

Last December I shopped for a cheap (<$100) digital camera, and in this price range at least, my impression was that the trend was very much toward PTP. I wanted one that could be mounted as USB mass storage, of course, which really narrowed down the possibilities. In the end, I made a bit of a mistake: sorting through so many features I lost track of the mass storage feature and didn't confirm it in the camera I ended up buying (Fujifilm). It turned out the camera was PTP-only (can't be switched to mass storage). So I have to live with gphoto2.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2010
Banned

thank you. thank you. thank you everybody for your help. i'm using OpenBSD as my only OS these days. i love it so much. i can't believe using a computer could ever be this much fun or perfect.

@id0p -- i used gphoto2 and it is sooooooo easy. thank you.
Old 10th September 2010
Banned

Default as a show of thanks, i'm uploading pics of the my own artwork i'm scanning in.

these sketches are free for anyone to use. you can color them in using gimp or inkscape and use them for yourself. thanks everybody.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belle-lady1.jpg (241.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg kungfu-lady1.jpg (238.9 KB, 81 views)
Old 10th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie View Post
i used gphoto2 and it is sooooooo easy
It does the job, and I imagine it's better than using the vendor-supplied software on Windows, if that's even an option. A couple things I don't like about gphoto2 are:

1) If you don't use the --shell mode, then it initializes the camera before each command. This can take a long time, like a minute or more, and you have to do it at least twice, once to get a listing of files and then to download your range of new ones.

2) If you do use the --shell mode, the initialization only happens once, but the shell is fairly primitive so you can't download files by range or pattern. So it only seems good for getting a very small number of files. (Maybe there's a newer version where this has been improved?)
Old 10th September 2010
Banned

I keep it simple and just do: gphoto2 --get-all-files
and I use the camera to delete the files and decide which ones i keep.
it's quick, efficient, and I know I haven't left any files behind.
Old 11th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post

2) If you do use the --shell mode, the initialization only happens once, but the shell is fairly primitive so you can't download files by range or pattern. So it only seems good for getting a very small number of files.
That is just not true. Shell is actually quite OK. If I recall correctly you should read
Code:
gphoto2 --help
to learn about numerous options. I used gphoto2 the last time almost three years ago
Old 11th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
That is just not true. Shell is actually quite OK. If I recall correctly you should read
Code:
gphoto2 --help
to learn about numerous options.
Well, the behaviour I described was for the following version (from Slackware 12.2):
Code:
gphoto2         2.4.3          gcc, popt(m), exif, no cdk, aa, jpeg, readline
libgphoto2      2.4.3          gcc, ltdl, EXIF
libgphoto2_port 0.8.0          gcc, ltdl, USB, serial without locking
The --help output for that version doesn't say anything about the shell, other than that it can be invoked with --shell.

But your point is that I should look for and upgrade to a newer version. I will try to do that, and thank you for the suggestion that it should work better once I do.
Old 11th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp
2) If you do use the --shell mode, the initialization only happens once, but the shell is fairly primitive so you can't download files by range or pattern. So it only seems good for getting a very small number of files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko
That is just not true. Shell is actually quite OK.
I have installed the latest versions libgphoto2-2.4.10.1 and gphoto2-2.4.10 from source. The behavior of the new version in regards to getting files via the gphoto2 shell is the same as I noted above. Specifically, the get command still only appears to support getting a single file at a time. For example,

Code:
gphoto2: {/usr/local/src/tmp} /store_00010001/DCIM/101_FUJI> ls
...<snip>...
DSCF1617.JPG        DSCF1618.JPG        DSCF1619.JPG        DSCF1620.JPG
DSCF1621.JPG        DSCF1622.JPG        DSCF1623.JPG        DSCF1624.JPG
DSCF1625.JPG        DSCF1626.JPG        DSCF1627.JPG        DSCF1628.JPG
DSCF1629.JPG        DSCF1630.JPG        DSCF1631.JPG        DSCF1632.JPG
DSCF1633.JPG        DSCF1634.JPG        DSCF1635.JPG        DSCF1636.JPG
DSCF1637.JPG        DSCF1638.JPG        DSCF1639.JPG        DSCF1640.JPG
DSCF1641.JPG        DSCF1642.JPG        DSCF1643.JPG        DSCF1644.JPG
DSCF1645.JPG        DSCF1646.JPG        DSCF1647.JPG        DSCF1648.JPG
DSCF1649.JPG        DSCF1650.JPG        DSCF1651.JPG        DSCF1652.JPG
DSCF1653.JPG        DSCF1654.JPG        DSCF1655.JPG        DSCF1657.JPG
DSCF1658.JPG        DSCF1659.JPG        DSCF1660.JPG        DSCF1661.JPG
DSCF1662.JPG        DSCF1663.JPG        DSCF1664.JPG        DSCF1665.JPG
DSCF1666.JPG        DSCF1667.JPG        DSCF1668.JPG        DSCF1669.JPG
DSCF1670.JPG
gphoto2: {/usr/local/src/tmp} /store_00010001/DCIM/101_FUJI> get DSCF1624.JPG
Downloading 'DSCF1624.JPG' from folder '/store_00010001/DCIM/101_FUJI'...
Saving file as DSCF1624.JPG
gphoto2: {/usr/local/src/tmp} /store_00010001/DCIM/101_FUJI> get DSCF162?.JPG
*** Error (-108: 'File not found') ***
So a single file is ok, a wildcard is not supported.

Moreover the man-page and in-shell help use the singular form when describing the get command:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphoto2 man
get
Download the file to the current directory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphoto2 shell help
get Download a file
I didn't find any further description of the shell in the gphoto.org documentation. If there is a syntax to get files from within the shell by range or pattern, it would be interesting to know what it is.

Last edited by IdOp; 11th September 2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
So a single file is ok, a wildcard is not supported.
I have not used gphoto2 for more than three years but I remember vividly being able to download the range of the files with the option for files to remain on the camera or to be moved to the hard disk.

Code:
gphoto2 --get-file RANGE
It also supports commands like list the files and about 30 other commands. The commands are described in gphto2 --help (double dash -- for options ). These features were present more than three years ago when I used gphoto2 last time. Have you bothered to read their documentation?

http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/ref-gphoto2-cli.html

Last edited by Oko; 12th September 2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I have not used gphoto2 for more than three years but I remember vividly being able to download the range of the files with the option for files to remain on the camera or to be moved to the hard disk.

Code:
gphoto2 --get-file RANGE
It also supports commands like list the files and about 30 other commands. The commands are described in gphto2 --help (double dash -- for options ). These features were present more than three years ago when I used gphoto2 last time. Have you bothered to read their documentation?

http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/ref-gphoto2-cli.html
None of this has anything to do with the gphoto2 --shell. You obviously have not read any of my posts in this thread in any but the most cursory fashion. Thus, I see no point in continuing this discussion.
Old 12th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
None of this has anything to do with the gphoto2 --shell.
You are right!!!
Old 12th September 2010

Glad we got that one sorted out!