DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2008
New User

Default Boot freeBSD from USB drive?

Thanks to Carpetsmoker for telling me about this great place.
To begin my apologies if this is not meant to be in here. I was unsure where this would fit.

What I am trying to do is dual boot my computer with freeBSD and Windows. I want the Windows boot loader to be there for it all to work as standard and only to boot into freeBSD when my usbkey is in the computer. I can do the partitioning and all that however I am stumbling at this bit of getting it to boot freeBSD from a usb-key, I don't want my filesystem on the usb key I only want it to boot from a USB key. I have looked into boot0config but donot see how I can do it.
I tried the following after copying /boot /mnt/usb(/dev/da0):
fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 /dev/da0

I also tried this:

mount /dev/da0s1 /mnt/usb
mkdir /mnt/usb/boot
cd /boot
cp -Rpv * /mnt/usb/boot
boot0cfg -B -s 1 -t -v 182 /dev/da0

So now when I select FreeBSD when I boot by usb I get some BTX Error and the screen scrolls so fast that I cannot make out what is being meant however it does look like numbers. Any ideas?

I would be really grateful if anyone can guide me in this.

Thanks allot.

Last edited by s25; 12th June 2008 at 08:39 PM.