DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd March 2018
Fdisk Soldier

Default How to debug a port

Thunar (the Xfce's file manager) have been dumping .core files and I am willing to investigate.
Note: I set my /etc/mk.conf so that my ports tree is read-only. Everything produced by the tree goes in /var/ports

I have several, a lot, of questions:
1. I need a binary build with debug symbols so that I can use it with [cmd]gdb[/cmd] and the .core file, but can I use a .core file produced by a binary without debug symbols ?
2. How to make a binary with debug symbols. I tried # cd /usr/ports/x11/xfce4/thunar && make DEBUG_FLAGS=-g ?
3. By doing # make install I am sure /usr/local/bin/thunar binary will be replaced ?
4. I don't want to install the new binary. I just want to use it for the debugging part: % gdb /var/ports/obj/ ... /.libs/thunar thunar.core. Is this reasonnable? By the way, thunar seems to be a shared library.
5. How to properly clean the ports tree ? # make clean && make clean=depends && make clean=dist && pkg_delete -a is ok ?

Thank you.

Tags
debug, ports