DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd January 2009
Shell Scout

Question Mount Network Drive

Hello all,

I feel rather silly asking this question however I do not seem to be finding the answer I'm looking for via google/man. Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong "name" or just in the wrong place.

All I'm trying to do is map/mount a Windows network share from OpenBSD. I would prefer not to have to use NFS or anything other than standard Windows sharing as that is what is already configured and running.

Authentication is required (via Active Directory) and hard coded/mounted at boot.

Could someone please direct me to the syntax and/or show me an example?

Thanks!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd January 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexter View Post
I would prefer not to have to use NFS...
Unless you have an NFS client installed on Windows, NFS is not an option.
Quote:
...or anything other than standard Windows sharing as that is what is already configured and running.
Then you need to configure Samba.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd January 2009
More noise than signal

There are two tools:

sharity-light -- allows "mounting" of remote Windows filesystems using Microsoft Networking.

samba -- a more complete set of client and server tools for Microsoft Networking, but there is no "mounting" capability for OpenBSD clients, which are limited to using the smbclient tool for file transfers, instead.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd January 2009
Shell Scout

Hmm thanks for the info.

I've installed sharity but for some reason I do not seem to be able to authenticate.

Code:
./shlight //ip-address/sharename /local/dir -W domain-name -U username -C
Password: (I enter my password)
error connecting to server: [13] Permission denied

Am I doing something wrong? Also note I have verified that I can ping the domainname as well as the fileserver.

Thanks
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th January 2009
More noise than signal

Sharity-light may not be able to use AD. According to http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity-light/index.html it is getting no further development (except bugfixes), and the commercial Sharity 3 product only supports AD when used with Kerberos, per http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity/features.html
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th January 2009
More noise than signal

Oh, and the commercial sharity product for OpenBSD is both out-of-date (4.2 was the last release it was built for) and lacking Kerberos integration.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th January 2009
Shell Scout

Sorry for the late response.

Hmm... I guess Sharity is not of much use for me then. For Samba to work do I need to do any configuration? I do not need to share out any files just access a share. Syntax?

Thanks!
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th January 2009
More noise than signal

Samba has a complex configuration file, which is supported by GUI.

Documentation is available from the samba-docs package, and additional help may be available at the www.samba.org project website.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th January 2009
Shell Scout

Hi jggimi,

I was doing some reading after I posted that comment and I did come across "SWAT" which I presume would be what you are referring to as the GUI?

I still have not been able to determine how to set this up in order to connect to a share. Which are the same results the first time I investigated samba. All I see are options to serve files. I'm not interested in sharing files from OpenBSD; just interested in connecting to a Windows share.

Perhaps you could advise some more?

Thanks!
Old 30th January 2009
Banned

OpenBSD doesn't support Windows shares(SMB) natively.. in fact, the only network file system supported is NFS.

Sharity-Light is actually a type of "translation proxy", it utilizes the NFS support available.. allowing the Windows share to be mounted traditionally.

Samba on OpenBSD is mostly intended for people wanting to share files with Windows clients.. as a server, the client functionality is provided through a few command line utilities. (The share isn't actually mounted.)

Sorry for the disappointment.. FreeBSD/Linux support that by using FUSE(Filesystem in Userspace), but personally.. I don't think that should be ported to OpenBSD.
Old 30th January 2009
Shell Scout

So wait are you saying this just isn't possible?

If I installed NFS support on Windows would OpenBSD be able to authenticate with the AD user credentials?

Surely there has to be a way to access a Windows file server (share) from OpenBSD.

Thanks for your help.
Old 30th January 2009
Banned

AFAIK Windows only has a NFS client.. not a server, how would that help you?

As I said, the Samba port *does* have client utilities.. but you cannot mount shares in the traditional fashion, it behaves more like an ftp client.

Again, sorry.. but perhaps you should consider using something other than SMB+AD?
Old 31st January 2009
Shell Scout

Hello BSDfan666,

Windows Server 2003 most certainly does support NFS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...p/default.mspx

Code:
File and Print Services: Microsoft Services for the network file system (NFS) in Windows Server 2003 R2 includes everything you need to share files between UNIX and Windows systems, manage file security from Windows using Active Directory accounts, and manage file and print services across Windows and UNIX platforms. The following components are included:
•	

Mapping server
•	

NFS AdminUI
•	

NFS client
•	

NFS server
•	

Portmap
•	

Server for NFS authentication
•	

RpcXdr
Anyway I was hoping not to have to setup additional file services to do this.

Quote:

Again, sorry.. but perhaps you should consider using something other than SMB+AD?
Would you have any suggestions? I'm open to alternatives. Authenticating against active directory users would be required.

Thanks again for your help on this.
Old 31st January 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
AFAIK Windows only has a NFS client.. not a server...
According to information published by Microsoft, Windows Services for Unix does provide a NFS server for use on Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324086

However, the OP asks about AD support, & I did not confirm either way. My recommendation would be to post a query on misc@ if this is crucial functionality.
Old 31st January 2009
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Sorry for the disappointment.. FreeBSD/Linux support that by using FUSE(Filesystem in Userspace), but personally.. I don't think that should be ported to OpenBSD.
The FreeBSD kernel supports smbfs directly, and FreeBSD ships with mount_smbfs. FUSE is not involved in any way.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 31st January 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
The FreeBSD kernel supports smbfs directly, and FreeBSD ships with mount_smbfs. FUSE is not involved in any way.
I meant in relation to Samba, when used on FreeBSD/Linux.. SMBFS is mounted via FUSE.
Old 31st January 2009
Risen from the ashes

No, it's not. SMB mounts are done directly in the kernel. Same as on Linux. FUSE is not used. mount_smbfs(8) has been part of FreeBSD since 4.5-RELEASE.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 1st February 2009
More noise than signal

On OpenBSD, Samba is installed from a package, then smbclient(1) is used to reach SMB/CIFS servers. Reading that man page, I note that -k is used to authenticate with kerberos for Active Directory.

Kerberos V setup is described in OpenBSD FAQ 10.
Old 4th February 2009
Shell Scout

Hello all,

Thanks for all your input. Interesting. I guess my only route is to provide NFS support on my windows server in order to have a filesystem browsable network share. I don't think I really want to switch to FreeBSD unless I absolutely have to.

It would be nice to see OpenBSD support SMB directly though. Maybe someday there will be. Is there any reason for not supporting it or has no one got around to it is all.

Thanks for your help!
Old 6th February 2009
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexter View Post
Is there any reason for not supporting it or has no one got around to it is all.
I think it's because Samba works fine, and perhaps there hasn't been a burning need by developers to create and "OpenBSD version". I reference this from Marc Balmer this past March as an example-

Quote:
SMB works nicely with Mac OS X. It what I use to in my lab. NFS is
also a choice. SMB is very easy to setup.
from
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120517259625632&w=2