DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Default How to connect Free VPN with OpenBSD

I find free VPN and I use OpenBSD 4.2 and I want connect to Free VPN , How I can connect to VPN .
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
More noise than signal

I have never heard of "free VPN." The VPN technologies usable with OpenBSD are:
  • IPSec
  • SSH tunneling
  • OpenVPN
  • PPTP (via poptop package)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I have never heard of "free VPN." The VPN technologies usable with OpenBSD are:
  • IPSec
  • SSH tunneling
  • OpenVPN
  • PPTP (via poptop package)
Ok thanks
SO how I can connect to VPN server in OpenBSD ??
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
One solution:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=462
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
More noise than signal

Quote:
Which VPN? The only thing you've described so far is "free". All of the technologies I mentioned above are free. All of them are different. One or more might meet your needs. But we don't know what your needs are, other than to not pay a license fee to someone.

Until you specify your context, no one can provide direction. The example Ocicat pointed to (that ai-danno wrote), happened to be server-to-server using IPSec.

What do you need to do?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Which VPN? The only thing you've described so far is "free". All of the technologies I mentioned above are free. All of them are different. One or more might meet your needs. But we don't know what your needs are, other than to not pay a license fee to someone.

Until you specify your context, no one can provide direction. The example Ocicat pointed to (that ai-danno wrote), happened to be server-to-server using IPSec.

What do you need to do?

My friend give me user name and password and host name and say I can connect to VPN server with this user name and password and host name
so I have three thing

1- user name
2- password
3- Host name

I want connect to VPN server with these information this is my first experience with VPN
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
More noise than signal

Quote:
My friend give me user name and ....
Guess who you should be asking?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Guess who you should be asking?
and my friend say me how I can connect to VPN in windows
he dose not information about OpenBSD
he help me to connect the VPN with Windows
so I want learn How I can connect with OpenBSD.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Administrator

Quote:
so I want learn How I can connect with OpenBSD.
Until you can provide information as to what is the underlying technology used, no one will be able to help you.
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Until you can provide information as to what is the underlying technology used, no one will be able to help you.
What information you need ???
Old 29th May 2008
More noise than signal

You seemed to have missed my earliest point, which I will restate once again:
VPN describes functionality. VPN is not a product. VPN is not even one technology. The four examples I provided each use entirely different technologies to provide VPN functionality.
VPN stands for "Virtual Private Networking." These allow private networking -- as if you were on a local network -- over public networks, such as the Internet. Each end of a VPN connection must use the same technology: OpenVPN to OpenVPN, IPSec to IPSec, SSH to SSH, etc. These all provide similar functionality, but they are entirely different from each other.

There are several VPN technologies that can be used with Windows. Three of the four technologies I mentioned above -- IPSec, PPTP, and OpenVPN -- can be used with Windows. Which one is your friend running? Only your friend can tell you. If your friend is running a Windows service, then he knows (or can find) the name of the service. If your friend is running a Windows executable, then he knows (or can find) the name of the .exe.

Last edited by jggimi; 29th May 2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: clarifyied definition
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

my friend give me this information

Username : freevpn
Password : freevpn
host :freevpn1.homeunix.com
Old 29th May 2008
More noise than signal

mfaridi: please edit your post and remove userid/pw and domain name. You should never publish private information here that you do not want spammers and script kiddies to see. And in this case, this is private information that you do not own.

There is no product by the name of "freevpn" that I can find with Google. I found reference to that domain name, but they were obviously not in English.

If you have questions about using this service, whatever it might be, whether it is actually a Virtual Private Network or just something that happens to use the same three letters .... contact your friend. We cannot help you.
Old 29th May 2008
Banned

@mfaridi, What's wrong with you? Why would you post that here? you're putting your friends network at risk...
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Thanks all Guys ,
I edited user name and password before and they are not true
but Host is correct and I put it only for give you some information. and you can help me.
Old 29th May 2008
More noise than signal

Did you read what I wrote about this "service"?

A userid/pw and domain name are insufficient information, unless this service, whatever it is, is designed to be run from a browser.

You seem to lack a basic understanding of TCP/IP networking. If that is so, perhaps this extremely brief and absolutely incomplete overview will be helpful.
You may be aware that the Domain Name System, DNS, converts domain names to IP addresses. An IP address is used to route packets of information from one computer to another.

There are many many types of packets. You can see a list of many of these in /etc/protocols. Among the two most commonly used protocols are TCP and UDP. They are, however, only two of many. They are used for all sorts of general communication. The major difference between these two common protocols is that UDP is stateless -- a UDP packet can be sent and never acknowledged. TCP, though establishes state -- a connection is established and packets are acknowledged back and forth.

Unlike the many other protocols, UDP and TCP both use the concept of "ports". A service on a server listens for incoming packets on a particular TCP or UDP port. Some ports are standard, such as 53 for DNS, 80 for HTTP, 21 for FTP, and so on. These numbers may be familiar to you.

But this is at a lower level than applications. For example, UDP port 53 is used by DNS servers, and TCP port 80 is used by web servers, but the data in the packets is entirely different. The protocols are widely used because they just specify how to send raw data. The applications at each end must know what that data is. For example, with VPNs, both SSH and OpenVPN can use TCP for transferring packets. But they have independent protocols and are in no way compatible. So, even knowing a port number or IP protocol is not enough information to connect to a service.
When you provide nothing but a domain name and userid/pw, as you did above, you tell us nothing about a networking service. Unless that service happens to be a web server, you leave it to us to research your friend's facilities. None of us want to do that, and, as I'm typing this from inside a corporate firewall, I cannot. I would be unwilling to do so even if I had a clear Internet connection.

You must contact your friend and find out:
  1. What is this service?
  2. What IP protocol is used?
  3. If TCP/UDP is/are the IP protocol(s) involved, what ports are used?
  4. What is the higher level protocol?
Do your homework.

Last edited by jggimi; 29th May 2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 7th February 2009
New User

Quote:
my friend give me this information
Username : freevpn
Password : freevpn
host :freevpn1.homeunix.com
Considering amount of parameters and their nature it is easy to suggest that these are parameters to connect PPTP VPN server.
In order to confirm that, while using SymVPN on my mobile phone Nokia N95 (S60 Symbian based S60 3rd phone), I was able to successfully connect this host with other Username and Password. That means that these credentials are in fact for accessing the PPTP VPN account. Therefore, when your friend were telling you about using this account information in Windows to connect VPN server, he was talking about PPTP VPN client that could be used from Windows computer to access this PPTP VPN Server. PPTP VPN client is included in Windows XP, Vista, 2003 and probably in other versions of Windows.

"Free VPN" in this case means the you can use this account information for free to connect this PPTP VPN Server.
For how long? No one knows unless you will ask the owner of that host.

Last edited by virano; 7th February 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 9th February 2009
Spam Deminer

mfaridi, ask your friend what kind of VPN he has... then report that back here.
More noise than signal

I asked him to do that back in May, danno.
Old 9th February 2009
Spam Deminer

It's true. You did. My bad... or rather, Mfaridi's bad for not answering the request back then.