DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2009
Spam Deminer

Default laptop buy - some advice needed

Hello,
this summer I shall finally be able to buy myself a new laptop (or, better said, a laptop, since I have none).
I was thinking about buying a ThinkPad, because reading around in various forums it seems that unix is best supported there and it seems to be very reliable hardware.
Just today I have seen what seems a very good bargain on line (remember I live in Beijing), it is a X200s with a Celeron M at 1.2mhz, a bus at 800mhz and 2G of ddr3 ram at 1066mhz (if I'm not going wrong, 1066mhz ram is useless since the bus is only 800, so it might be more wise to upgrade to 4G of 800mhz ram)
I was thinking at the beginning to look for a dual core, so, first question: would a machine like that be too slow? If it was only to surf the web or watch a movie I think it would be no problem, but I have another little problem. I live in China and at least 80% (99%?) of sites here work only, I repeat ONLY with MS IE, for example, to access my bank account I must open my windows box and use IE, using Firefox or Opera for windows does not work either. So what's the problem? I could simply double boot, but I would like to avoid that if possible. So, would I be able to run Wine through Linux binary emulation? Would Wine allow me to run small programs for windows (for example, the typical cdrom that comes with a dictionary you bought, but that works only on windows)? Would that work with Skype to? Or would it be easier to run windows inside qemu? Would this Celeron M be enough for that?
Of course, I could think about installing a different OS, but I did try FreeBSD before on a different machine, and had all kind of problems, and the same with Linux Fedora which I dualboot on my windows box and when I happen to use it, it pops on me plenty of "bug report" windows just using a terminal. Probably I could solve that building my own distribution, but I really don't have time for that now, and OpenBSD really works perfect out of the box.
Last question: will suspend and hibernate work fine? I quite need to leave all my terminals open and come back to them later.

lots of questions...