DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd January 2024
Administrator

Default Will AI Just Waste Everyone's Time?

From https://slashdot.org/story/24/01/01/...everyones-time:
Quote:
This March, news broke that the latest artificial intelligence models could pass the LSAT, SAT, and AP exams. It sparked another round of A.I. panic. The machines, it seemed, were already at peak human ability. Around that time, I conducted my own, more modest test. I asked a couple of A.I. programs to "write a six-word story about baby shoes," riffing on the famous (if apocryphal) Hemingway story. They failed but not in the way I expected. Bard gave me five words, and ChatGPT produced eight. I tried again, specifying "exactly six words," and received eight and then four words. What did it mean that A.I. could best top-tier lawyers yet fail preschool math?
[snip]
A.I. is simultaneously impressive and pretty dumb.
[snip]
A.I. costs lots of money, and once investors stop subsidizing its use, A.I. or at least quality A.I. may prove cost-prohibitive for most tasks....
[snip]
"A.I. can write book reviews no one reads of A.I. novels no one buys, generate playlists no one listens to of A.I. songs no one hears, and create A.I. images no one looks at for websites no one visits.

"This seems to be the future A.I. promises. Endless content generated by robots, enjoyed by no one, clogging up everything, and wasting everyone's time."
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd January 2024
White-Furred Supervillain

Quote:
"This seems to be the future A.I. promises. Endless content generated by robots, enjoyed by no one, clogging up everything, and wasting everyone's time."
So far I had no luck with AI. The few times I tried I only got trash as answers. I'll not waste my time using it. How AI can waste my time against my will sure is a different dimension.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd January 2024
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

My brother is a programmer and he uses the OpenAI API at work, it's quite useful for him.

I'm getting irritated by the support threads over at the Arch forums that include "advice" from ChatGPT though, it really does spout a lot of nonsense sometimes.

Anyway, the incoming lawsuit from the New York Times[1] has the potential to bankrupt Microsoft if the alleged copyright infringements are punished for every Bing search so it's not all bad
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd January 2024
Arp Constable

I think the AI spin that it will advance mankind is alot of hooey. Microsoft is involved because of AI's potential to monopolize reality and cash in.