DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th December 2008
Port Guard

Default Silly questions about Mac OS X?

Hi all,

Near two weeks ago I bought my first Apple. One of the new Macbooks Only one thing.... Applications.

A decent PDF viewer like the one in KDE?
A decent image viewer like gwenview or eye of gnome? And no. I dont want to use that cute slider or whatever name you use in English. My native language is Spanish, so sorry if I don't write clear enough or correctly.

And thank God it became available a new version of Songbird so I can use it and ignore that iTunes crap.

regards to all,
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th December 2008
Banned

I don't use OS X, but.. surely you could have found these applications by searching the net.

The second result on Google was this.
http://www.object-craft.com.au/proje...pdfviewer.html

And who would have thought:
"Spanish localization." is a new feature in the latest version.

Others stuff:
http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...osh&product=10
http://www.hexcat.com/viewit/
http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocoviewx/

This was all easy to find.. it probably took you longer to post here about it.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th December 2008
Port Guard

I really looked but as it seems obvious I didn't do it correctly
Thank you very much for your help. I will try this apps.
About Mac OS X... I really am NOT impressed... it is.. cute... and that is all... I miss the ports of FBSD or gentoo or something like apt... I feel like in a mix of Linux/BSD/Windows OS...

Regards
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th December 2008
Banned

Have you considered using http://www.macports.org/ or http://www.finkproject.org/ ?

Also, I think it may be possible to use pkgsrc on OS X..

http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_use_pkgsrc_on_Mac_OS_X
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html

Good luck.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th December 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutosun View Post
About Mac OS X... I really am NOT impressed... it is.. cute... and that is all... I miss the ports of FBSD or gentoo or something like apt... I feel like in a mix of Linux/BSD/Windows OS...

Regards

pkgsrc of NetBSD does work on OS X
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th December 2008
Uber Geek

If you are having THAT many problems with OS X - why bother using it ?

wipe it off and put something else on it

Forum Netiquette
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th December 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutosun View Post

Regards
It seems like you haven't done any research, but just taken a leap to asking questions.

1. Preview is a very good all-in-one viewer that's included in OS X. It is the default. It is the one I use.
2. Finder has very good image viewing capabilities. Preview can be used as well. Gwenview and Preview are about feature equivalent.
3. Macports is available for OS X. This definitely couldn't have been difficult to find. You will find all of the KDE applications, Gnome applications, and other open source applications you are used to as ports in it. It's very easy to setup and use. Where native binaries are available, it pulls and installs the DMG. This is what I use because I, like you, like BSD Ports because they make management so easy. Your other options are Fink and pkgsrc. Fink isn't very quickly updated, but it's pretty much APT for OS X. pkgsrc will require a lot of work. I tried migrating over three or four months ago, but too many applications will not build cleanly on OS X for one reason or another, through it. So, I don't recommend it. MacPorts is the easiest option.
4. OS X is a BSD operating system. It doesn't feel any different than my FreeBSD+Xfce+Compiz-Fusion install on my desktop.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Uber Geek

Quote:
4. OS X is a BSD operating system. It doesn't feel any different than my FreeBSD+Xfce+Compiz-Fusion install on my desktop.
err .... no it's not ... It may be certified UNIX but it most certainly is NOT a BSD OS!

Forum Netiquette
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Administrator

You mean a Mach kernel and FreeBSD userland is not a BSD OS?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey_james View Post
err .... no it's not ... It may be certified UNIX but it most certainly is NOT a BSD OS!
It kinda is.. quite a bit of the system is based on BSD, heck, Mach was an intent at turning BSD into a microkernel.

It's definitely a derivative.. commercial, but it should be able to retain the title of BSD.
Old 30th December 2008
Arp Constable

Their kernel, XNU or X is Not Unix aptly named, since many unix systems traditionally had a monolithic kernel for some reason or other (simpilicity, performance, etc). XNU was made for NeXTSTEP and based on the Mach micro and 4.3BSD monolithic kernels, creating what they seem to deem a hybrid kernel these days - if the word has any true meaning.

If you do a grep -rni in FreeBSDs /usr/src/sys for 'Carnegie Mellon' you will actually find quite a bit of results; no clue how much code sharing or borrowing is involved, but at some point in history BSD adopted some virtual memory code from Mach. If the rest is just contributions or a lot of Mach stuff ported to FreeBSD, I don't know and don't really care much as a user. Likewise, when Apple set to work on XNU, they looked to newer versions of both Mach and BSD. XNU integrates parts of FreeBSD into itself, probably for performance or ease of porting. The original Mach microkernel itself, being intended as a replacement for the BSD UNIX kernel - and based conceptually on an earilier non-unix based system developed at Carnegie Mellon. I think it would be fair to call OS X both BSD and not BSD from the kernel side.

The user side, Darwin contains many things from many places; including FreeBSD and GNU. OS X and the modern BSDs are very different in places, for one thing we use the ELF Executable and Linking Format, I've read a lot of FreeBSDs implementation of ELF - good fun. The native binaries for OS X, should be Mach-O - which is *not* an elf lol. I think of the user side as another Linux distro -> mix mash of parts, but with XNU in place of Linux ^_^.

Mach wasn't trying to change BSDs kernel per say, it was trying to replace it in the long run; I guess one could say, XNU tries to mate with it instead. But Darwin user side shares the same [self censored] reputation and behavior that most Linux distro does.

OK, so I have a thing for history.... and enjoy intricate details lol

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 30th December 2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 30th December 2008
Risen from the ashes

Networking, signals, and VM are from FreeBSD. Inter-process communication, drivers, I/O and such are from Mach. The userland was originally a mix of FreeBSD and NetBSD, but is now mostly FreeBSD with GNU bits. Everything between the kernel and the GUI looks and acts like a cross between FreeBSD and NeXT with some GNU dressing on top. Everything in the GUI is definitely not BSD, being mostly (all?) Apple/NeXT stuff.

One can definitely include MacOS X (or at least Darwin) in the BSD family. It most certainly is not a part of the Linux family, nor the GNU family. And it most certainly is (certifiably provable, in fact) a member of the UNIX(tm) family.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 31st December 2008
UNIX lover

There you can read something about it from Robert Watson:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...st/003674.html

Quote:
I'd be a bit cautious about saying XNU is a Mach kernel. XNU is not a
microkernel, but it contains a lot more Mach code than FreeBSD does.
However, XNU contains massive amounts of FreeBSD code, including countless IPC
models, security parts, VFS, network stack, distributed file systems, etc.
Saying that "Mac OS X is just FreeBSD with an Apple GUI" is certainly false on
face value, but it's not correct to say that the kernel isn't in significant
part FreeBSD-derived.
and

http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Li.../msg00072.html