DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2010
New User

Default OBSD 4.1/NAT port redirection/interception across 7 Class C's

I've been having quite a bit of issues trying to set this up. Basically i have an openbsd box that filters all inbound/outbound traffic for 7 class c's. I'm implementing ASSP for spam filtering since the previous admin where i work thought it would be a great idea to have all 2000+ ips listen on port 25 for smtp connections. We receive 400-800 simultaneous smtp connections per second. I would like to tunnel these to a dual quad 8gb box i have set up for filtering, however i cant seem to get reverse traffic working. I have no clue if this is even possible, but any information would help.

INTERNET -> DMZ -> OBSD -> xxx.xxx.1-7.xxx

Ideally i would like all connections on 25/587 to redirect to xxx.xxx.3.1

so smtp -> ANY -> xxx.xxx.3.1
Code:
table <colo> const { xxx.xxx.1/24, xxx.xxx.2/24, xxx.xxx.3/24, xxx.xxx.4/24, xxx.xxx.5/24, xxx.xxx.6/24, xxx.xxx.7/24}

nat on $ext_if from <colo> -> ($ext_if)

rdr on $ext_if proto tcp from any to <colo> port 25 -> xxx.xxx.3.1 port 26
when i set it up this way the reverse route doesn't seem to complete

pfctl -s state gives the following

all tcp xxx.xxx.3.1:26 <- xxx.xxx.1.1:25 <- HOMEIP:61516 CLOSED:SYN_SENT
all tcp HOMEIP:61516 -> xxx.xxx.3.1:26 SYN_SENT:CLOSED

I'm guessing i need a route-to for each of the subnets/gateways?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2010
New User

also should note that any of the ips bound on xxx.xxx.3.1 server the redirection works, so if xxx.xxx.2.25 is bound on the same server as xxx.xxx.3.1 then running a telnet to xxx.xxx.xxx..2.25 on port 25 redirects to xxx.xxx.3.1 on port 26 as it should, so i'm guessing it has something to do with the subnets/gateways/nat
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2010
More noise than signal

Adding route-to may work, but NATting xxx.xxx.3.1 may work better.

NOTE: There have been many significant structural, performance, and rules syntax changes to PF since 4.1, and you may want to consider replacing or upgrading to a supported release. 4.8 is expected to release next week, on 1 November. Your OS, 4.1, had support dropped on 1 May 2008.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2010
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Adding route-to may work, but NATting xxx.xxx.3.1 may work better.

NOTE: There have been many significant structural, performance, and rules syntax changes to PF since 4.1, and you may want to consider replacing or upgrading to a supported release. 4.8 is expected to release next week, on 1 November. Your OS, 4.1, had support dropped on 1 May 2008.
could you be a bit more specific? possibly give an example pf rule to accomplish what i'm looking for?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2010
More noise than signal

Not really, because I've never used a route-to or reply-to, and PF has changed significantly in this area. The redirection you are using, though, implies NAT, in one direction; NAT provides the translation in the other direction. But I can't tell from your fragment what your network topology really is. It appears you are operating a NAT router for <colo> subnets, and providing a single network interface outbound.

What I meant was to also NAT your xxx.xxx.3.1 spam filter platform, with something like this:
Code:
nat on $ext_if from {<colo> xxx.xxx.3.1} -> ($ext_if)
In that way, an inbound packet from the external interface would see a response from this same address, and xxx.xxx.3.1 would never be used in any outbound packet.

But I am confused by your three rules, because I do not understand your topology. I'm also no expert. If your <colo> subnets are NATted through a single IP address going out, your last rule may never match, unless there are addresses in <colo> which are in MX records somewhere, and routing tables go through your router to get there. But then NAT could not be used, so that SMTP sessions behave as expected.