DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2010
Port Guard

Default C++ & C Ide Suite for Freebsd?

i was doing intensevely development on windows environment using Visual Studio,is there any kind full ide suite for freebsd?specifically for c++ & c,how about eclipse?is there any better than eclipse?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2010
VPN Cryptographer

Codeblocks
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2010
Arp Constable

You have several decent IDEs to choose from, you probably should test them out.

Code::Blocks

Focused on C++ development but works fine for C, supports numerous compilers, including GNU, Microsoft, Borland, and Intel offerings. It's also a cross platform IDE written in WxWidgets (use the 2.8 Unicode port) and has a plugin oriented architecture. Best to build Code::Blocks from the subversion trunk rather then using the devel/codeblocks port; they rarely make a "Release" but the project is maintained decently enough. Installing from trunk is easy, you only need two options for ./configure to work properly on FreeBSD. I use this IDE for maintaining a game project of mine, called Stargella. The build system is quite nice, but not as good as Visual Studio.

Eclipse

Written in Java and focused on writing apps in Java, it also supports numerous other languages through add ons, such as the C Development Tools (CDT). It's a professional strength IDE but the FreeBSD port is not always well maintained. The current version in ports is Eclipse 3.4.2; generally java/eclipse runs 1 or 2 versions behind Eclipse's stable releases; this can make it a triffle difficult to maintain packages downloaded through the IDE.

CodeLite

A small light weight IDE, flexible and C/C++ oriented; written in C++/WxWidgets. It may be better suited for more technically inclined users (i.e. you know how your build tools work).

KDevelop

A heavy weight IDE focused on KDE development, that also supports many languages. It could be considered similar to Eclipse and Visual Studio, I guess. The Qt4/KDE4 version is still in development, so the IDE is still Qt3/KDE3 based.

Anjunta

GNOMEs C/C++ IDE, and GTK+ based. I've never used it but would think it meshes well with Glade 2 or Glade 3.

QtCreator

A very nice C++ IDE by the people behind Qt, and it integrates well with tools like assistant and designer. It was very good last time I used it, and focused on C++/Qt4 development, which is a very good frame work (Qt). This is a cross platform IDE.

There is also Geany, but like Anjuta, I've never used it. There are also other IDEs available in ports and by manual installation/porting that are usable on FreeBSD, but Visual Studio ofc isn't one of them.

Footnote: I can't speak for features of the IDEs editing components compared to Visual Studio, because whether I use RXVT, Visual Studio, or Code::Blocks for a project, I always write my code in Vi IMproved; and usually dispense with traditional IDEs all together.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th February 2010
Port Guard

thanks,wow never knew codeblocks on freebsd! ,which gui framework you recommended for bsd?in term good api documentation,reliability,stability?,stargella?you have any alpha video documentation?i am interested on game dev also but oh well my c++ skill just not that high,currently i am struggling getting xorg & ethernet up and running lol,i never knew this notebook not yet fully supported on freebsd 8 : http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=68398
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th February 2010
Arp Constable

The most often used are Qt and GTK+ / co (gtkmm / *mm for C++ OO bindings), WxWidgets and FLTK (toolkit only) are also around. Take a look their online docs. For more "Full" framework then mass of cooperative libraries, look at Qt and WxWidgets. When it comes to quality of software documentation, Qt, Vim, and OpenBSDs manuals are the best I've seen, but only Qt is a framework \o/.

Stargella is a game meant to be in the same spirit as Galaga/Galaxian, and share as much of the code base with a tactical shooter, and a mech combat game that are each 'next up'. While it originally began as a C++/OGRE project, however portability requirements have caused me to code from scratch using plain C and OpenGL. Since it's never left my LAN, all the documentation is here too lol.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th February 2010
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
The most often used are Qt and GTK+ / co (gtkmm / *mm for C++ OO bindings), WxWidgets and FLTK (toolkit only) are also around. Take a look their online docs. For more "Full" framework then mass of cooperative libraries, look at Qt and WxWidgets. When it comes to quality of software documentation, Qt, Vim, and OpenBSDs manuals are the best I've seen, but only Qt is a framework \o/.

Stargella is a game meant to be in the same spirit as Galaga/Galaxian, and share as much of the code base with a tactical shooter, and a mech combat game that are each 'next up'. While it originally began as a C++/OGRE project, however portability requirements have caused me to code from scratch using plain C and OpenGL. Since it's never left my LAN, all the documentation is here too lol.
QT would be runnable both on gnome and kde?

I guess there is no sdl on bsd?i saw you were posted your linking problem here,and from the path i see your game have clien-server based?it means it gonna support multiplayer??
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th February 2010
Arp Constable

Assuming no one rolls it back (etc), I've also taken the liberty of updating Wikipedia's page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...Es#C.2FC.2B.2B for ones that run on FreeBSD (minus jvm/clr ones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellar View Post
QT would be runnable both on gnome and kde?
Qt will generally run everywhere, you can look at the platforms support here. As far as Qt is concerned, Gnome/KDE is just another window manager; in fact, KDE has been built using Qt since the beginning.

Under unix systems, there is no real 'native' GUI look/feel like there is on Windows/Macs, it just merely that Xlib, Motif, Tk, GTK+, and Qt are the accepted norms for what a GUI app will like. (the first two, being archaic compared to the last) Most apps are GTK+ or Qt; like wise WxWidgets typically uses GTK+ as a backend for X11, although it used to use Motif 'back in the day'.

Some IDEs integrate with certain toolkits better then others, e.g. Anjuta -> GTK+, Code::Blocks -> WxWidgets, QtCreator -> Qt4; but all the IDEs are basically agnostic to it, as long as you explain to them, "This is how to build the damn program, chop chop!".

Quote:
I guess there is no sdl on bsd?i saw you were posted your linking problem here,and from the path i see your game have clien-server based?it means it gonna support multiplayer??
SDL is functional enough on BSD, along with several common libraries that mesh with it (e.g. SDL_image). Because of issues with most popular third party software for making games, FreeBSD is IMHO not a good platform for games, but hey I want to be able to play my games on my BSD laptop too xD.

Stargella is planned as principally 2D mouse driven game, the shooter as 3D one, and the mech games fate is still undecided whether it will look more like an old NES game or a full cockpit and battlefield simulation; but each game project is meant to be using the same core 'engine' code base so to speak. My current code does use SDL, but in much the same way that the red book uses GLUT: abstracting the task of making an application window and handling input devices. When the rendering code is functional, it'll need to be usable for both 2D and 3D games, one method or another of implementing that, which basically necessitates using OpenGL.

The main problem with SDL, is that its graphics stuff is a tad useless for serious 3D work . Once you want to go beyond stuff like SDL_BlitSurface, the library is useless IMHO save what what it nets you in portability. It does however make it easier to use OpenGL, a keyboard, and a mouse, without having to write even more code.

I do think however, that discussing Stargella/etc and their design architecture, is a bit unrelated to your C/C++ IDEs issue. But hey, it's your thread... lol

#8   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th February 2010
Port Guard

i guess i am gonna go with QT ,so sdl no near for tessalation work?i don't either opengl have tessalation support?i guess no choice for reiventing the wheel,have you take a look at c4 engine?the 'framework' seem run well on both windows and macos,as macos based on freebsd,do you think it will need less/more/much for converting the code?i don't know the macos and freebsd differencies inside and out.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th February 2010
Arp Constable

Without touching OpenGL directly by hand, SDLs own graphics stuff is more or less a case of here be a bitmap, blit bitmap on screen here. For OpenGL and tessellation, I would say check here. OpenGL is several layers "Higher" then what I personally expected, but still refuses to hold your hand.

Qt also provides an OpenGL module, although I've never used it.

Quote:
have you take a look at c4 engine?the 'framework' seem run well on both windows and macos,as macos based on freebsd,do you think it will need less/more/much for converting the code?i don't know the macos and freebsd differencies inside and out.
OS X and FreeBSD have very many differences, one most notably being, that average OS X users are not likely to know what X11R7 refers to, nor actually care. How it would effect something like the C4 engine, is purely dependent upon the engines code base: they don't seem to provide enough documentation for one to judge that easily. Looking at the website, unless the author has quiet a bit of NIH syndrome, coupled with being as anally portable as ISO C*, C4 is not likely to be useful on FreeBSD without abuse to make it work, or conservative use of it's features to minimise portability pain.

It should however, be well worth the licensing cost to outfit a team of coders at a start up.

* The ISO C standard (and afaik C++'s as well), is so darn portable, it would be fair to say that it doesn't even assume the operating system supports directories!

Old 6th May 2011
New User

Quote:
* The ISO C standard (and afaik C++'s as well), is so darn portable, it would be fair to say that it doesn't even assume the operating system supports directories!
that's really true!

Last edited by michaelgmaloy; 30th January 2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 27th May 2011
Port Guard

I second using Qt. It's one of the best C++ environments I've used so far. Has a whole range of different modules supporting many things you may or not may need, such as threads, OpenGL (also checkout the upcoming Qt/3D), image manipulation, cross platform/DE (looks should be 'native' on Windows, KDE, Gnome etc) and of course many 'regular' GUI classes.

Together with Qt creator I think it's really nice
Old 27th May 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
i was doing intensevely development on windows environment using Visual Studio,is there any kind full ide suite for freebsd?specifically for c++ & c,how about eclipse?is there any better than eclipse?
Dont discount Netbeans. If you feel like installing diablo-JDK, netbeans is a pretty darn good IDE for C/C++. Ive used it and I found it very good at looking through classes and suggesting members/methods/etc.