DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2011
UNIX lover

Default Choosing between portability and innovation

Quote:
But maybe the biggest problem these cases hint at is that Linux development is being done at such a fast pace that other operating systems just can't keep up. Linux distributions and Linux-centric developers are used to the "release early, release often" mantra, including swapping out key components and breaking APIs each release. The BSD world doesn't work that way, and this makes working together on a modern cross-platform open source desktop increasingly difficult. The innovation of Linux inevitably comes at a price: Linux is the de facto Unix platform now, and hence more and more programs will not be portable to other operating systems.
via lwn
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Unhappy

In other words, Linux is becoming Lindows. I guess software review sites must create a new option ... Linux/Windows/Mac and BSD ... or at least UNIX-like.

Quote:
In fact, the way I see things the Linux API has been taking the role of the POSIX API and Linux is the focal point of all Free Software development. Due to that I can only recommend developers to try to hack with only Linux in mind and experience the freedom and the opportunities this offers you. So, get yourself a copy of The Linux Programming Interface, ignore everything it says about POSIX compatibility and hack away your amazing Linux software. It's quite relieving!

Last edited by classicmanpro; 10th March 2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Completeness.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2011
Banned

That's a terrible perspective on development, really for shame.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2011
VPN Cryptographer

Agree!
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2011
Arp Constable

Actually, I agree with him.

As to Lindows, Linux is just the bigger fish, that's the way of all things in the world. You'll find that the standardization of unix interfaces were influenced more by the bigger fish of the day, then actual unix philosophy in any shape or form. Linux is the new POSIX, only the standard never gets fully written down and changes as rapidly as the code bases involved. The real problem is so many projects are either unmaintained or as good as it.

Why I agree with him, it's less headache if you are not trying to be portable. Plus you are more portable if more systems are alike, and many people are (increasingly) too incompetent to coup with otherwise. I've spent enough effort on being portable to know better than trust The Average Person to get it right, because the average person even gets simple wrong.

Personally, I think there should be ONE and exactly ONE operating system, that it should be unix like, and that it should be hacakable to whatever you want. Getting that many people to agree on anything, would be like trying to build the death star for 90 cents a tonne.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th March 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Ecosystem diversity is what makes our world beautify. Linux on the desktop is inconsequential just like BSDs. In U.S. it is very difficult nowadays to find any Linux desktop installation even at the major research Universities which are traditionally strongholds of Unix. Most of top notch U.S. research universities use OS X these days. Linux has nothing to offer on the desktop neither to a casual computer user nor to a serious user with a well developed taste for computing. Discussion about udev or HAL is pointless. Neither of those things have any importance on a typical BSD user. Less so about X-Org.

The major strong hold of Linux is as a platform for a High Performance Computing. Unfortunately due to the combination of cannibalism and market forces Unix looks dead. It is so bad that even such a wide spread applications like MATLAB do not anymore support technically inferior platform Linux in favor of Solaris. But HPC is a niche market and if couple crazy dudes decide to port CUDA and Open64 to NetBSD we will have different conversation.

Linux has a large market share on the embedded but so does BSD and based on technical and business (BSD license) merits should have even more. The same goes for network appliances. Small server market is dominated by virtualization craze. Large one could be easily scoped by Solaris if Oracle decides to do so.

So what were we talking about? Xfce?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th March 2011
Administrator

... about portability:
http://memegenerator.net/Lennart-Poe...ll-do-ya-mean-

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th March 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
In other words, Linux is becoming Lindows.
Actually, Windows has always done its best to remain backward compatible. Usually bug-for-bug.

This is different from Linux where one component is being deprecated in favor of another before you have the time to know it's even there.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th March 2011
UNIX lover

Quote:
Brute forcing software design through several revisions of code or several forked projects detracts from the collaboration effort and I would question whether or not true innovation is being made, or if it's just code churn.

How often does OSX, Windows, etc dramatically change system interfaces or how components interact with one another, and how do end-users receive the changes? I know based on my experience that people absolutely loathed the Windows 2000 -> XP and XP -> Vista/7 transitions and those only happened every 3-5 or so years. Freedesktop and other associated projects (Gnome, KDE, LXDE, XFCE) pulls this stuff every release, which is either biannually or annually!
Garrett Cooper (the guy from FreeBSD)