DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2012
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas
Default howto provide webserver access from internet

Hi Folks
I have been reading PF material from OpenBSD docs, and the "Book of PF second edition"
I am currently writing pf for "machines on my internal network", they currently do not provide any internet services. (connected to the internet via ip provider using DHCP). I am progressing in writing effective pf for each machine and getting good feedback with systat & pfctl commands. I am using a switch to connect my networks various machines connected to an "off the shelf router" to my ip provider.
I want to replace the router with a small openbsd box with extra nic cards to connect to my non-dmz network, a new dmz webserver, and of course the ip provider.
QUESTION?
can i provide dmz webservices to the internet using my ip providers dhcp connection
if so, is this accomplished by registerning a "domain name" with a service like dyn dns?
- or -
do i need a static ip from my ip provider?
-or -
can pf do this with some kind of nat ext_if?
slightly confused.

thanks in advance

frcc
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcc View Post
can i provide dmz webservices to the internet using my ip providers dhcp connection
Yes. Your question is really, "Can name resolution to the same registered name be made with rotating IP addresses obtained through DHCP?" The answer is still yes. Dynamic host name services like DynDNS are required to keep the mapping synchronized.

The alternative is to lease static IP's from an ISP. Static IP addresses frequently come with a higher charge & require business-level accounts. IP addresses obtained through DHCP do not require business-level accounts.
Quote:
can pf do this with some kind of nat ext_if?
slightly confused.
I think your confusion stems from mixing IP address issues (level 3 on the OSI network model...) with DNS name resolution which is done at a higher level in the OSI model. pf(4) is involved with both given its need to deal with IP addresses & ports specific to DNS traffic (ports 53 on both UDP & TCP...).

Last edited by ocicat; 19th June 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: corrected wrong manpage category
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2012
More noise than signal

Default Additional Dynamic IP Address Considerations

You mention the purpose is "webserver".
  • Please be aware that your ISP may block common inbound ports such as 80 or 443.
  • Whether blocked or not, your ISP may have an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) which prohibits operating servers of any type from a residence on a dynamic IP address.
  • If you ever consider adding other services, dynamic IP addresses are often filtered from acceptable addresses for interconnections. The best of the examples is SMTP -- Email. Many servers will not transfer Email to servers residing on dynamic address ranges.

Last edited by jggimi; 19th June 2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: typo
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2012
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

thankyou all
it appears that both dynamic and static address pose certain advantages and disadvantages.
desired web/network services, cost, security, maintenance etc, need to be thought about.
Your answers do answer the initial question....!
frcc

Last edited by frcc; 20th June 2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: clarification