DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th December 2008
Port Guard

Default Bootonly CD Fails

This afternoon, I downloaded a "bootonly" ISO data set from an ftp site. After burning to a CD, the root directory contains a boot directory, and two files, boot.catalog and and cdrom.inf.

The cdrom.inf file identifies the version: CD_VERSION = 7.1-RC2

The attempted boot from the CD ROM results with the following messages:

CD Loader 1.2

Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER . . .file not found
Looking up /boot/loader . . .file not found

Boot failed

In fact, the file /boot/loader does exist on the CD. (252KB dated 12/23/2008 @ 6:30 AM)

I've searched the forum for similar, but no hits. Since this is a CD ROM disk, then I can't modify anything on the disk per the original "de-ISO" operation (burned with Nero on an Windoze box). Suggestions please
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th December 2008
Administrator

Before I burn an ISO image to disk I always check whether the checksum matches. See ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/re...1/CHECKSUM.MD5
Most Unixes or Unix-look-alikes have a program md5 to check the checksum. For Windows you will have to download such an utility.

You could retry the download from another mirror and burn another disk. Make sure you choose"burn ISO image" from Nero.
But what is so difficult about burning a disk with FreeBSD's burncd? "A whistle of a cent" as a Dutch idiom says

See the announcement of RC2 and the other posts from people having problems with booting the CD's on older PC's
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...er/047203.html

Last edited by J65nko; 29th December 2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Added freebsd-stable posts about similar issues