DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 22nd November 2015
Fdisk Soldier

There is a Polish proverb: the dogs bark, but the caravan goes on!
Old 22nd November 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygope View Post
but if you google "NetBSD review", first appearance is a blog article whose title is "NetBSD: Designed to fail", and you cannot find any review about 7.0 release. Even looking in distrowatch it seems that nobody has made a serious review since 5.x.
So what? You "googled" and found one of the results is some insignificant troll's blog - a troll who also posted unfounded crap about OpenBSD.

"Distrowatch" is a Linux distribution review site, no one who uses any *BSD seriously cares about that site, in fact most serious Linux users don't care about that site...
Old 22nd November 2015
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
So what? You "googled" and found one of the results is some insignificant troll's blog - a troll who also posted unfounded crap about OpenBSD.
So what? You only found one review and it is old and negative. And nothing else.
But you think that encourage anybody to try netbsd. Good for you.

Quote:
"Distrowatch" is a Linux distribution review site, no one who uses any *BSD seriously cares about that site, in fact most serious Linux users don't care about that site...
So you have done a survey.
Old 22nd November 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Ok folks, with all the stuff going on in the world, do we really need to get so angry about this?

I think Distrowatch is aimed more at the less experienced, and it's fine.

As for pygope's point, it doesn't matter that the review was by a troll, the point was that it was the only review out there.

Now let's all look at a cute kitten picture and feel better.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images.../_nIu8KHX.jpeg

(Said kitten seems to be reacting to a comment criticizing their favorite operating system)
Old 22nd November 2015
Marveled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Ok folks, with all the stuff going on in the world, do we really need to get so angry about this?

(...)

Now let's all look at a cute kitten picture and feel better.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images.../_nIu8KHX.jpeg

(Said kitten seems to be reacting to a comment criticizing their favorite operating system)
+1 for your comment & +1 for the adorable kitty
Old 23rd November 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygope View Post
So you have done a survey.
Not necessary. In this context "serious users" means Linux users who have at least an intermediate knowledge of the system they use. They do not care about DistroWatch, because as scottro mentioned, the site's purpose is to provide cursory information about, and links to, the various distributions. In other words, beginners who do not yet know that GUIs are not distribution-specific.

Quote:
So what? You only found one review and it is old and negative. And nothing else.
But you think that encourage anybody to try netbsd. Good for you.
In that context your finding is significant and worrisome, but is meaningless without knowing the search terms you used. That is not an insult. It simply means no one can confirm or refute your findings without knowing the details of what you searched for. Perhaps elaborate?
Old 23rd November 2015
Spam Deminer

I searched for reviews of all four of the major BSD derived operating systems and in the first page of results found nothing much except out of date reviews for old 4.x releases of OpenBSD and FreeBSD 9.0, typical blogs focusing on comparisons with Linux and the odd phoronix article almost entirely focused mainly on the X.org graphics stack, mesa and drm.

Clearly they're all crap and we should switch to Linux.
Old 23rd November 2015
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerdos_daemonis View Post
Not necessary. In this context "serious users" means Linux users who have at least an intermediate knowledge of the system they use. They do not care about DistroWatch, because as scottro mentioned, the site's purpose is to provide cursory information about, and links to, the various distributions. In other words, beginners who do not yet know that GUIs are not distribution-specific.
My first contact with Linux was back around 1999 (Red Hat 5.0). And Linux became my OS of choice for daily use at home since 2002 or 2003 (Slackware 9). So I think I can consider myself a "serious user". I use Linux and I use it "seriously", still visiting distrowatch from time to time to look for new distros, out of curiosity.

My first contact with NetBSD was in 2006? (NetBSD 5.1 was recently out). I tried the 3 main different BSD flavors, and I felt more comfortable with NetBSD, so I gave it a try, and I was delighted with it.

Unfortunately, because some changes in my hardware, NetBSD was useless for me. So I had to left it.

Still I have tried 6.0, 6.1 with in that moment a current kernel to support my wireless dongle (run). Until now with the arrival of 7.0 which I can again use NetBSD on a daily basis, according to my requirements.

Quote:
In that context your finding is significant and worrisome, but is meaningless without knowing the search terms you used. That is not an insult. It simply means no one can confirm or refute your findings without knowing the details of what you searched for. Perhaps elaborate?
Just type "NetBSD review" in any search engine. Apparently nobody cares. Nobody mention NetBSD even critically.
And like we say "It is much better that people speak bad of you, that they don't speak at all".

In osnews, the new of the arrival of NetBSD 7.0 only deserved 2 comments.
At least in linuxquestions (oh crap! another linux forum), the new deserved a few more comments, even a couple of them try it and they said NetBSD was great.

That's make me happy?
Of course not. Like I said in a previous post in this thread, I like NetBSD, that's the reason I have tried any new release.

That's make me sad?
Yes a little, I'd rather read that NetBSD is the best thing in computer since the invention of the keyboard.
Old 23rd November 2015
Spam Deminer

I cannot use my search engines of choice, Ixquick and DuckDuckGo, because they are blocked in my location, but I entered "netbsd 7.0 review" as a search term into Yandex and the first hit was an editor's review for something called Linux Softpedia. The article's conclusion is
Quote:
In conclusion, NetBSD provides users with a very fast and stable UNIX-like operating system that supports a plethora of architectures and can be deployed on server machines without much hassle. Applications can be installed through the comprehensive NetBSD Packages Collection.
Looks fairly positive to me. I did not look at any of the other hits on Yandex or WebCrawler, although there were a few. So things are not as bleak as they appear.
Old 29th November 2015
Fdisk Soldier

sndio has been ported to NetBSD and landed in pkgsrc/wip/sndio.
New User

Wink

Just installed. Thank you guys!

Nothing compiles like NetBSD.

Pssst, don't tell them ...
Old 30th November 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Heh, and after all that, Distrowatch has a brief, generally positive write-up, on NetBSD.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20151130#netbsd
Old 30th November 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Since we are leaving this electronic trace it is worth mentioning that before ALSA Linux was also using OSS but they decided they can do "much better".
Wasn't it due to software licence incomparability, since it has reverted but by that time the Linux community had adopted ALSA?
Old 30th November 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossala View Post
Wasn't it due to software licence incomparability, since it has reverted but by that time the Linux community had adopted ALSA?
The author of OSS had a longish write up which I read close to 10 years ago. You might be still able to find it somewhere on the net. The story is not simple and it was not "just licensing" issue.
Old 27th January 2016
Fdisk Soldier

Default PulseAudio

New PulseAudio is out:

Quote:
PulseAudio 8.0 release notes
Changes at a glance

Automatic routing more likely to change profile
OS X and NetBSD support improvements
Systemd journal logging for clients
New LFE balance programming interface
Module-dbus-protocol improvements
More flexible configuration file handling
pulsecore-8.0.so moved to a private directory
New script for measuring memory consumption
Various bug fixes and small improvements
https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Sof...dio/Notes/8.0/
Snoozing

Default Audio Drivers

I think the audio drivers might be in need of some polish. I recently purchased a USB-2.0 USB audio dongle for use with NetBSD. This dongle works perfectly with Linux. On NetBSD, audiocfg list displays the correct USB audio device, the correct devices show up in /dev for USB audio, and I can do the old cat trick:

Code:
cat ocean.noise > /dev/audio
It plays anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds of the the noise file (real loudly since the default mixer is full-on), and then hangs the system. I get an interrupt related failure message in the terminal right before it freezes. I suppose it's the uaudio driver, but there's nothing special about my dongle (I don't think so anyway). For now I'm using that dongle on Linux. There's almost no info on the web for this topic. :-(
Old 23rd May 2016
Shell Scout

There's some fresh news on progress with the NetBSD audio system in Hubertf's blog:

So far, NetBSD's audio device can only be opened once. If more than one application wants to play sound, the first one wins. This is suboptimal if you want to (say) play some MP3s but also get some occasional noise from your webbrowser.

Now, Nathanial Sloss has made a stab at this, providing several implementation choices. Challenges in the task are that sounds with different quality (sampling rate, mono/stereo etc.) need to be brought to one common quality before mixing and passing on to the actual audio hardware. Further fun is added by the delay this process adds. See*the discussion on tech-kern*for all the gory details!

http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/bx/blosx...0520_1837.html
Old 24th May 2016
Snoozing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBSD View Post
There's some fresh news on progress with the NetBSD audio system in Hubertf's blog:

So far, NetBSD's audio device can only be opened once. If more than one application wants to play sound, the first one wins. This is suboptimal if you want to (say) play some MP3s but also get some occasional noise from your webbrowser.

Now, Nathanial Sloss has made a stab at this, providing several implementation choices. Challenges in the task are that sounds with different quality (sampling rate, mono/stereo etc.) need to be brought to one common quality before mixing and passing on to the actual audio hardware. Further fun is added by the delay this process adds. See*the discussion on tech-kern*for all the gory details!

http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/bx/blosx...0520_1837.html
Thanks for that information! Yes, I've read Hubert's blog pages for NetBSD info in the past, and IMO it's one of a few good sources for that kind of help. The article won't fix the driver bug I seem to have landed on, but it's still all good, and having a more flexible, robust audio system on NetBSD would be very nice.

AFAIK NetBSD USB audio still does not have type II or type III USB audio formats, nor asynchronous modes, but that shouldn't keep me from catting out sounds. So, it does seem driver related. I'm not really a driver guy, but I've been thinking about hooking up the debugger for it. Maybe I could catch something obvious. Anyway, thanx for the good info.
Old 24th May 2016
Snoozing

I suppose I should add that I'm using the NetBSD ARM port (specifically, Odroid C1+) for this particular audio project ...
Old 1st October 2018
New User

A truly fascinating thread with some real surprises --thank you.
But it's nearly 2019, three years after the OP; NetBSD exists still and I'm quite happy with it as a workaday OS. AFAIK, no Code of Conduct dramas, no 'init dramas' ... just a very nice solid system (and to my mind the only probable heir to BSD-lite's 4.4's crown and sceptre). Can easily use it on the pi bramble too.

Apologies for the necro, if people here object to such things.

o7