DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2008
Port Guard

Question Few questions about server(openSSH, apache ,) and no-ip.com

Hello,
I decided to try to run my own server on freebsd for myself. Just for test and maybe for my own use in future we will see. But I have few questions. For my website I will use Apache v 1.3. Or maybe I should choose the newest version? I have a book how to configure 1.3v so I think I can make it. But I have a little problems with openSSH. First I have to install it. But it is a version for FreeBSD? I have found openSSH portable but to use it I must run it with linux compatibility. And those programs openSLL and Zlib but I will to compile them as a linux programs too? So even if I run them they will be working? And to have ssh and ftp openSSH is a good choice? I am beginner so if U have any clues or sth or mayby U know software which will be batter and easier to use? And one more question I have dynamic IP but I found solution of this problem. I found site no-ip and dyndns. But which of them is easier to use and free for not commercial use. And if it will be runing on FreeBSD with no poblems it would be great
Regards
Artur

Last edited by latorion; 2nd August 2008 at 09:00 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
But I have a little problems with openSSH. First I have to install it. But it is a version for FreeBSD?
OpenSSH is included with the FreeBSD operating system, you don't need to install it:

Code:
% ssh -V
OpenSSH_4.5p1 FreeBSD-20061110, OpenSSL 0.9.7e-p1 25 Oct 2004
Quote:
For my website I will use Apache v 1.3. Or maybe I should choose the newest version? I have a book how to configure 1.3v so I think I can make it.
Apache 1.3 will work, while this branch is still supported by Apache, it is aging.
Apache 2.2 is the current stable version and recommended by Apache.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2008
Port Guard

Ok thx. So now I know I don't have to install openSSH and which version of Apache should I choose. But I am wondering maybe XAMPP would be easier to configure for begginer then Apache?. And I have one more question cause I have a dynamic IP so I have registered on no-ip.com and add my host. I have my domain my_name.no-ip.info and now I want to install software(this program which is available on it's site). But here is a problem? When I am downloading it it is said that is version for Linux/BSD/unix ok great. I have found in FAQ how to install it but only for linux. Here is the description
Code:
http://www.no-ip.com/support/guides/update_clients/setting_up_linux_update_client.html
So if I install this program using this instruction everything will work well? Or I must run this program with linux capability and then it should work?
Artur
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2008
Local

Actually, it appears you can install the noip client program from ports.

/usr/ports/dns/noip

Please read Chapter 4 of the handbook if you're not familiar with how to install packages/ports.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
which version of Apache should I choose. But I am wondering maybe XAMPP would be easier to configure for begginer then Apache?
I have no experience with XAMPP, but it doesn't look like it will make things easier in the long run, installing apache, MySQL etc. as a port or package is rather straightforward, and configuring a basic setup isn't much harder either.

As for version, just use Apache 2.2 (www/apache22).
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2008
Port Guard

Ok so I have installed Apache 22 using pkg_add but I have problems with no-ip. I have installed it from ports but when I'm trying to configure this I was asked for my mail and password and than I get this error
Code:
Read from dynupdate.no-ip.com failed (connection reset by peer)
I don't have ports forwarding done yet but here is the problem? And If i do ports forwarding I will be able to run my server of course after I configure Apache?
Thx for help
Artur

Edit: ok know its running but I have still little problem with port forwarding. I have Linksys WAG54GS and I know how to forward but I'm not shore which protocol i should choose TCP or UDP or mayby bouth? I want to to forwarding for apache sftp and ssh. Thx

Last edited by latorion; 3rd August 2008 at 10:07 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by latorion
I'm not shore which protocol i should choose TCP or UDP or mayby bouth? I want to to forwarding for apache sftp and ssh. Thx
Definitely tcp.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2008
Port Guard

THX a lot now server is almost working. SSH and FTP is working. But I have a little problem with Apache cause when I try to see my website I have been automatically tried to log on my router? Maybe sb now what is now not working?
Artur
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by latorion View Post
THX a lot now server is almost working. SSH and FTP is working. But I have a little problem with Apache cause when I try to see my website I have been automatically tried to log on my router? Maybe sb now what is now not working?
Artur
You need to disable "remote management" feature in your router (make sure port 80 is properly forwarded to the web server as well)
Old 6th August 2008
Risen from the ashes

Don't have to disable it, just move it to a different port. That is, if the router supports that. Most should.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 11th August 2008
Port Guard

I have done it but it still don't work. But I will tell U what going on when I will have mouse because logging from Free to XP is not comfortable. So when I will have working mouse I will try to configure Apache. Thx for helping
Artur