DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2011
Linux/ Unix User

Default Making your own Distro

Hey,
I am really interested in making my own distro, but i am kinda stuck where too look and start.

I do know i am wanting to use a BSD or Unix Kernel and not a Linux one, not that i have anything against linux just i think it would be more of a challenge and something different.

Can anyone give me some guide of where to start or even just point me in the direction, like website links, books, etc.. that would be a good starting point.

Thanks
SL6-A2000
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2011
Banned

For BSD, third party distributions aren't encouraged or documented.. if you really want to do it, you'll need to learn how the particular BSD your basing your project on is built and make the changes you need yourself.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2011
Arp Constable

Usually a successful distribution meets a previously un-meet need or implements a new feature. Really successful distributions provide new features.
I know you said you wanted to use BSD but If you are just starting out and looking to learn you might want to try Linux from Scratch. LFS is essentially a book with cut n' paste steps that walks you through building a distribution from source code. LFS is mainly an educational tool and many of the concepts of making a build environment with compiler should carry over. I am not sure anything exists like LFS for the BSD's

LFS

Last edited by shep; 22nd August 2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2011
Linux/ Unix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
For BSD, third party distributions aren't encouraged or documented.. if you really want to do it, you'll need to learn how the particular BSD your basing your project on is built and make the changes you need yourself.
Is that because the main existing 3 (Open, Net, & Free) are relatively open and can pretty much cover any requirements?

I am more interested in doing it for the learning experience & the satisfaction.

@shep: Thanks i will look into it.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2011
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL6-A2000 View Post
Is that because the main existing 3 (Open, Net, & Free) are relatively open and can pretty much cover any requirements?
I think a lot of it has to do with the development ideology behind the BSD's vs. Linux. Linux is, by definition, designed for building "frankenOS's", where you pick one piece here, one piece there, etc... until the whole matches your requirements. The BSD's, on the other hand, are more consistent, so rebuilding OpenBSD gives you...OpenBSD. Yeah, there are spinoffs, but most of those are package configurations on top of a (mostly) stock core.

And I'll second the mention for LFS. What that will give you is a vanilla Linux system that you can customize to whatever you want.