DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th March 2016
New User

Default nfs file transfer hanging

File permissions
OpenBSD
Permissions Owner User Group
drwxrwxrwx 1024 _ldap

Debian
Permissions Owner User Group
drwxrwxrwx nobody users

After 80-90 mb have been transferred the machine hangs and the gui (KDE) is no longer responsive. To get the laptop to function again I need to do a hard reset. I find it weird that Owner and User Group are not the same. And where is _ldap coming from?

dmesg gives me
nfs server 10.0.0.8:/volume1: not responding

The nfs is a Synology Diskstation and the client is a Lenovo T500 via a wired connection. I messed around with the setting on the Synology web interface and /etc/fstab on the laptop but nothing changed the hanging of the laptop

I originally tried 5.8 but I had major issues with KDE GUi and moved onto 5.9
I am assuming I have missed something somewhere.
I did not configure the nfs server
The other machines on the LAN all run Debian nfs4 and I have had zero issues with the connection to the Synology
Any help would be appreciated
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2016
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

I can only answer one of your questions, based on the information provided. The "_ldap" userid is used by the ldapd daemon, which your OpenBSD system is (or was) apparently using. See the ldapd(8) man page.

I can only guess that "1024" is the uid number of a user that is longer defined in /etc/passwd.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoinsbay View Post
After 80-90 mb have been transferred the machine hangs and the gui (KDE) is no longer responsive. To get the laptop to function again I need to do a hard reset.
From the following:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/k...al_network_NFS

...it appears that Synology is working with NFS version 4 by default. OpenBSD supports version 3 in its base installation. What version Synology supports appears to be configurable, so you may wish to research this further.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st March 2016
New User

jggimi Thank you

Quote:
I can only guess that "1024" is the uid number of a user that is longer defined in /etc/passwd.
Actually 1024 is not listed.

Quote:
OpenBSD system is (or was)
Still is as of the moment, by tonight it will probably change for reasons below.

I apologize for not showing /etc/fstab I tried several combinations with ro giving the worst response. I did not try the "soft" setting. After some more reading it seems that ext4 is what is stopping things. All systems here use ext4. I had bad luck with xfs, and btrfs So I took the easy root and used ext4 and I have no issues. But this is not a high stress/demand environment.

From my reading ext4 is currently read only in OpenBSD and certain versions of ext4 do not work well. I feel if ext4 is not supported it is like pushing a string uphill. No need for me to work against the tide here

ocicat Thanks for the link

Right now it looks to me that upgrading to a BSD operating system is going to be a slow process

Thank you for your responses
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st March 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoinsbay View Post
Actually 1024 is not listed.
I can't tell from the limited information provided in your first post just what the source of uid 1024 might be. Best practice on OpenBSD is to assign daemons uid numbers below 1000, and user uid numbers of 1000 and higher. If a user is deleted and any owned files remain, ls(1) will report the uid number of the owner, because it doesn't have a userid to map to the file.

When files are created, they are owned by the uid of the process executing the creation. Utilities like install(1) which set an owner when they create a file do so after creation, with chown(2).

Your top post regards NFS. OpenBSD supports NFSv3 and NFSv2 only. Your post above refers to foreign filesystem mounts. Linux foreign filesystem support is limited. EXT4 is read-only, as you have discovered. EXT3 can be used read/write with journaling disabled, while EXT2 can be mounted read/write also.

If OpenBSD is not meeting your requirements, but you still need a BSD, consider one of the others. FreeBSD supports NFSv4, for example.

---

This information may not be helpful. If so, I'm sorry.

Unfortunately, we aren't sitting over your shoulder and can only provide assistance based on the details you are able to share, and how clearly you articulate those details.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st March 2016
New User

Hi jggimi
No problem, although with you sitting over my shoulder and watching me thrash about would be a painful experience for you.
I did try FreeBSD but there was url error in the pkg command for both 10.2 and 10.3 so I gave up. I developed little patience for these types of issues two strikes and I am out of here.
I very rarely go onto forums for help over the last ten years. Most answers are within google or the docs. However it never dawned on me until after the first post that nfs and ext4 are essentially a ext4 file system. And yes I did read OpenBSD faqs but correlation never jumped out at me.
Anyway this is a long term project, so I will probably start with a new server in the next couple of months and then change the rest of the machines
I appreciate your help
Thanks
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2016
More noise than signal

You're not alone. Here's an informal problem report that was posted yesterday:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=145944980831400&w=4