DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 10th February 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciderous View Post
Had you read my reply to that suggestion above, you would not reiterate the point. OpenBSD people are very scrupulous about their rules, FAQs and manpages. The rules say that bugs@ are NOT for mere problem reporting and NOT for beginning users, UNLESS I can provide the fix along with my bug report. Obviously I can't, therefore it is suggested that I post to misc@ instead. And that I did, twice, with detailed, dmesg and xorg logs, all according to the rules. Not a single answer was given. Zilch. Therefore I assume no one cares at the moment. It's ok, I understand and don't hold a grudge. But please, don't try to blame me for doing something wrong.
I apologise, wasn't trying to blame you at all. Sometimes bug reports don't get answered, or it might take longer than you might expect to get a response.

Quote:
Did I say it was disabled in BIOS setup? Perhaps you should re-read my bug report more thoroughly.
Correct again, I confused the last thread-jackers post with yours.

This is the entire problem. xorg is trying to configure the nvidia GPU. Did you try manual xorg configuration?
Old 10th February 2015
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Sometimes bug reports don't get answered, or it might take longer than you might expect to get a response.
That's what I've guessed, and it's because of that I remain relatively calm, given the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
This is the entire problem. xorg is trying to configure the nvidia GPU. Did you try manual xorg configuration?
No, actually I didn't. It's because Xorg does not try to configure the Nvidia GPU, contrary to what you assume. Have a look at those logs I reported. The problem seems to be with AGP Aperture and Intel DRM changes, as jggimi suggested earlier in this thread. And for the time being, I just keep snatching those latest snapshot builds in hope that somebody will finally get a fix for this issue.
Old 10th February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
[snip]
Unfortunately, the developers ignored my report - they seem not to care about this issue at the moment. Therefore I had to switch to DragonFlyBSD for now - at least it works for me. Perhaps you should try it as well.
In http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=8902#post53414,
Ibara, who BTW is an OpenBSD developer, has recommended to post this to the bugs@ list. You opted to ignore his advice by posting to the misc@ list instead

It is common knowledge that many developers don't subscribe to or read the misc@ list. IMHO that is the only reason why nobody has responded to your report on misc@.
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
Ibara, who BTW is an OpenBSD developer, has recommended to post this to the bugs@ list
With all due respect, how would I know he was an OpenBSD developer? He didn't announce himself as such explicitly, and at the moment I had a 'someone's' suggestion against clearly laid out rules on OpenBSD website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
It is common knowledge that many developers don't subscribe to or read the misc@ list.
And where would I get that common knowledge? I am a newcomer to OpenBSD, I tried to be as polite as possible, reading the manpages, the FAQ etc. as thoroughly as possible, so that no one of the devs would get angry with yet another 'ignorant user, who wouldn't RTFM'. Therefore you should understand why I feel a bit confused and frustrated here. It is quite an inconsistency between the rules and the practice being followed, according to your words.

And BTW, I've checked the lists, and it seems that the devs responsible for this particular subsystem do read and post to the misc@ list.

Last edited by luciderous; 11th February 2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11th February 2015
Port Guard

Quote:
As I already posted above - this seems to be a bug, not a configuration issue.
Unfortunately, the developers ignored my report - they seem not to care about this issue at the moment. Therefore I had to switch to DragonFlyBSD for now - at least it works for me. Perhaps you should try it as well.
Just installed 5.5 and X works fine with intel driver (didnt worked with 5.6/7)
so it does looks like a bug as mentioned here
xvinfo output

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
Adaptor #0: "Intel(R) Textured Video"

Last edited by ramib; 14th February 2015 at 09:47 AM.