Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Old 7th October 2021
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
You're very wise.
Not so much anymore, I'm afraid.

I haven't drank for 25 years, 26 this coming April, so I do still have that going for me. The longer you go without drinking the less a part of your like it becomes and the easier it gets. Six years is a long time and an accomplishment you can be proud of.

I don't know anyone who uses a computer besides my Sister, and she just knows the program she uses. When she gets off work she doesn't want to touch one and admits she couldn't follow my tutorial.

They all have smartphones and Facebook going constantly. Everybody wants to know what they had for breakfast. I wouldn't have Internet if I only had a phone, and I've never had a smartphone.

The only guy I've ever met personally who actually knew what FreeBSD was, turned out to live in the same building as me. Then died of an overdose in his apartment a few months ago before we really had time to talk. He had a degree in Computer Science - Communications and had drank it away by then.

You and I are doing pretty good when you think about it.

https://www.deviantart.com/trihexagonal
Old 8th October 2021
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihex View Post
Not so much anymore, I'm afraid.

I haven't drank for 25 years, 26 this coming April, so I do still have that going for me. The longer you go without drinking the less a part of your like it becomes and the easier it gets. Six years is a long time and an accomplishment you can be proud of.
Thanks for sharing your story! Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate that! It's wonderful to meet someone with long term clean time! My life was a write off when I was in active addiction. These days I sponsor several men and I try to carry the message in NA. I cleaned up May 23, 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihex View Post
You and I are doing pretty good when you think about it.
We're blessed, mate.
Too dumb for a smartphone

Facebook re-brands to "Meta" ... although keeping the Facebook name for that part of its service.
Old 30th October 2021
VPN Cryptographer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Facebook re-brands to "Meta" ... although keeping the Facebook name for that part of its service.
Interesting! Thanks for the link. I've been away from Facebook (meta) for a little over a month now.
Too dumb for a smartphone

You're welcome, and keep up the good work !
Old 24th November 2021
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
cynwulf,

Two years later and I made the mistake of creating an account on FaceBook. The platform is highly addictive and I didn't enjoy what I did there. I was on Facebook for about a year again. The platform is insidious.
Hopefully now that I have deleted my FaceBook account again I do not come back to it.
The various lock downs, etc may have triggered many to return to the "platform"... and of course big tech, (not to mention big pharma) have made billions (trillions?)... it is absolutely insidious by design.

You're not alone - I expect many fell back to old habits. I installed Windows 10...

I have never been "on it", so I can't really relate to it. I have only seen the continuously swiping zombies on the train, looking at photos and animated memes and then quickly tapping out some response or "liking" someone's new hair do or whatever...

For me it's all very banal and superficial - but to be clear, and for full disclosure: I'm a very anti-social person. Family excepted (well some family...), I've never liked other people, if I have to deal with them, then I prefer to deal with one person at a time, large groups annoy me - mainly because people stop behaving as individuals and I have to listen to trivial conversations and chit chat on subjects which I have zero interest in, but am expected to know all about. So this likely makes me "social network incompatible" (immune?).

Last edited by blackhole; 24th November 2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 9th January 2022
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
The various lock downs, etc may have triggered many to return to the "platform"... and of course big tech, (not to mention big pharma) have made billions (trillions?)... it is absolutely insidious by design.
Agreed. The addictive nature of all social media erodes mental health.

Quote:
You're not alone - I expect many fell back to old habits. I installed Windows 10...
Over the pandemic I have done my fair share of Window installations and other operating systems. Technology therapy can be soothing.

Quote:
I have never been "on it", so I can't really relate to it. I have only seen the continuously swiping zombies on the train, looking at photos and animated memes and then quickly tapping out some response or "liking" someone's new hair do or whatever....
You're not missing a damn thing. I've been away from all forms of social media for a little over 3 months; I don't miss it. It's refreshing to be away from the mindless drone of conspiracy theory whackjobs.
Administrator

It all depends where you use it for.
I am a member of the Worm Farming Alliance, and although they have a discussion forum, only their Facebook Group is active. But it is a private group, the postings are not viewable by the general public, so it is not too bad. But I hate the lack of being able to browse by subject or section.
Marveled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevet View Post
I stopped watching TV a long time ago and don't miss it either. I highly recommend it.
Agreed. I stopped TV a long time ago, I just use my TV as a computer screen.
Old 17th January 2022
Shell Scout

Default It's a cold day in Hell...

The last year has been a year of change for me.

Here's the new Facebook page for my website:
https://www.facebook.com/Trihexagona...6446281934566/

My Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Trihexagonal-105783295334026/
Just put that up.

Last.fm page:
https://www.last.fm/user/Trihexagonal
Had one before, got another one.

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUe...IsdnRZ1eL5Cb6g
I only have playlists to keep my Google webmaster account out of Copyright danger.

able2know.com page:
https://able2know.org/user/izezi/
I'm World Champion at Alliteration. Nobody will even play me.

It all started when last summer when I got a YouTube account so I could comment on this girl playing guitar. I already had a Google account for webmaster tools and they keep me jumping through hoops.

In August T-Mobile was set up outside a Dollar Store giving away free Android Service tablets so I grabbed one. I had never had one, or a smartphone, and didn't know what I would do with one if I had it.

In a few days I had it figured out. Run aops. YouTube Music was the best thing I found and it found a lot of new music for me. You can listen free or pay $10 a month for no ads, have music offline and they gave me 3 months free trial.

That Android opened me up to Google, but once I got a good look at it I recognized a good thing when I saw it.

I could put it to work for me and reach a much larger audience if I went with it, so I went all the way. I corrected my building location of Google maps. They gave me a Hero icon by email and invited me to join the Tour Guide Group. Which I have not, but they've been very nice to me.

I initially screwed up my Facebook page and told them It was too much headache and I was ready to delete it. They had fixed it for me the next time I logged on.

That was a real plus since when I registered it disabled my account as soon as I made it for non-compliance of Terms. That before I had posted anything. So Introduced myself and we got to know each other a little better.

Last summer I changed over a couple of my boxen to Kali Linux. Now I'm more able to reach out to that community and them be more receptive to what I say.

In short, I decided to be little less infamous in exchange for a little more mainstream famous and know what I'm doing.

Last edited by Trihex; 20th January 2022 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Website facebook page
Old 17th January 2022
Shell Scout

One app I do want to recommend you not be without is NetGuard firewall:

https://netguard.me/

You don't get any logging with the free version, but I got the Pro version for a one time payment of $7.50 and it makes all the difference.

It's application based but uses IPv4 and IPv6 rules in the log you can see as it blocks and use those to allow or block specific traffic. With the free version it handles traffic as it deems appropriate, and will continue to do so till you say differently if you upgrade.

It has its own local VPN and you do not want to run another VPN while you're using NetGuard.

Old 13th January 2023
VPN Cryptographer

I re-engaged with Facebook in March of 2022. It wasn't any better this time around, still a complete waste of time. I deleted my account *again* today. Hopefully this time I stay away.

https://www.addictioncenter.com/drug...dia-addiction/
Open Source Software user

I'm on FB because that is where groups with my interests are, (they don't create forums much these days, unfortunately), so I more or less had to re join, to get & pass information, but I stick to 'private' groups, in the main, only occasionally posting to 'open' groups.
VPN Cryptographer

I really am an addict. Thankfully I've been clean since May 23, 2015. I re-engaged with Facebook. I deleted my account less than a week ago. Digital addiction is real. Going forward I hope to remain free of social media.
Shell Scout

I've got a FB account. My average time as a member of a group, from a couple days to a couple weeks. As soon as the BS starts I'm outta there.

I'm drawn to and attract conflict, try as I might not to be.

I did join a United Linux group but the only things they were united in was don't say the word Kali and ignoring me in hopes I would leave. Petulant pizza delivery boys...

Old 22nd November 2023
New User

I've, unfortunately, had people twice my age ask me questions such as, "How do you live without a cellphone?" or "How do you live without GPS?" My response is always straight to the point, "Without disrespect, you are older than me so how did you before they were invented?" The reactions to that question are always a pause in deep, considerate thought.

An overwhelming amount of the things we do and use today are without any legitimate use. We do these things because everyone around us does the same, and because we live in a time where people are no longer required, and in fact encouraged, to not ask any questions. Don't think, just do. If you are one of the lucky few to know me in real life, or even on an online forum, I will absolutely question what you do, what I do, and I will find reason in it, but I certainly won't play a part in contributing to such an absurd and low-effort environment.

I am the only person I know that doesn't own a cellphone and therefore does not participate in any "apps", no social media, no YouTube account, no Discord account, no Reddit, I have no online account except for 2 online retailers, banking, and this account on daemonforums created just yesterday. I've quit the web almost entirely. My online activity now exclusively takes place over SMTP, IRC, ssh, and gopher. What do you think happens with friends and family when someone like me takes such a step to lead a life of deliberate and purposeful action as opposed to mindless habits?

Nothing.

No one stopped being my friend. No one stopped talking to me. No one disappeared.

The net isn't a replacement for the real world, nor is it a supplement. Strip away every material possession, the clothes on your back, everything man made, and what you're left with is each other. As someone who loves computers, programming, technology more than anyone, enough to spend every second of the day in front of a text editor running in a framebuffer, I am not convinced any of this modern, proprietary "solutionism" crap solves any problem that hasn't already been solved with the advent of the electron computer, network protocols, and voice communication; I'm also not convinced we should be spending more time with computers than in the real world, as much as it hurts me to admit it. So if someone couldn't be bothered to reach out and spend time with me because I don't use any of the "apps" that they use, it would seem to me they are the one with a rather serious problem of neglecting the real world, not I.

Have you ever noticed how many people around us feel the need to do something "productive", to contribute to the world around them? It's a curious observation, but one that makes sense. The plants, the birds, the chimpanzees, the fungi, every living organism every single day does their part to put nature in order. Should it really be of any surprise that we feel an inherent need to do the same?

Trust your gut, trust your intuition. I know what you struggle with so I am familiar with what a delicate balance it is. Incredibly easy to slip back into the mind-numbing habits. Do yourself a favor, get angry, and start making serious change. Dump everything and find out who you actually are and actually want to be. Question things, including your own ideas, refine them, improve them, then question them again. There is nothing wrong with questioning the things around you, though I would argue there is something wrong with not questioning anything and allowing someone else to do the thinking for you.

The bottom line to this, and many other similar topics, is this:

Quote:
"Until we have begun to go without them, we fail to realize how unnecessary many things are. We've been using them not because we needed them but because we had them." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Letters from a Stoic
I struggled with the same, I got pissed off, and I'm proud to say I've conquered it. If you ever need to have a conversation about anything, reach out. You can trust I'll respond.
Old 23rd November 2023
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas
Default Bravo

Refreshing Post!
"A man's wealth is not determined by what he has, but by what he can do without!"

An observation,,,many times i am speaking with a family member and or customer.
During that time my phone may ring. Immediately the people i am with stop talking. They look at me expecting that i also stop the conversation and answer the phone.
I tell the customer, i will deal with that call later after i complete my business with them. They are usually astonished. Likewise my family does the same. I tell them that it is disrespectful to terminate a conversation with loved ones to answer in most cases a call from a stranger. I now tell family members to turn OFF their devices when they visit me. I also do not sit/visit with family members or friends who are continuously on the phone while we are supposedly visiting each other. Put a few together and you have a Zoo of electronic static!

ty so much for your insight! hackexe & trihex

Last edited by frcc; 23rd November 2023 at 02:15 PM.
Old 23rd November 2023
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcc View Post
Refreshing Post!
"A man's wealth is not determined by what he has, but by what he can do without!"

An observation,,,many times i am speaking with a family member and or customer.
During that time my phone may ring. Immediately the people i am with stop talking. They look at me expecting that i also stop the conversation and answer the phone.
I tell the customer, i will deal with that call later after i complete my business with them. They are usually astonished. Likewise my family does the same. I tell them that it is disrespectful to terminate a conversation with loved ones to answer in most cases a call from a stranger. I now tell family members to turn OFF their devices when they visit me. I also do not sit/visit with family members or friends who are continuously on the phone while we are supposedly visiting each other. Put a few together and you have a Zoo of electronic static!

ty so much for your insight! hackexe & trihex
Indeed I have observed the same. It's happened to me many times before, mid-conversation someone looks down and does something else on their phone. Initially I used to keep talking. Now I either call the other person out on it outright, highlighting how it's a ridiculously ill-mannered thing to do, or I become a smart-ass and "quiz" them, asking them what I just spoke about so that they themselves see how senseless their actions are.

It's even more frightening how universally accepted it is, as you pointed out. I've made similar remarks to my friends and family, if you're here to hang out, put your phone away and do so. Otherwise, why did you come here only to spend time with yourself, mindlessly consuming garbage on your cellphone? It doesn't bother me in the slightest if I anger someone by saying these things or if I give them anxiety about using their cellphones around me. I know for a fact you're not using it to do anything important and there's nothing objectively wrong about what I'm asking. If you believe otherwise then you have to argue for it and believe me I am more than willing to have a discussion about it.
Old 28th November 2023
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackexe View Post
I am the only person I know that doesn't own a cellphone and therefore does not participate in any "apps", no social media, no YouTube account, no Discord account, no Reddit, I have no online account except for 2 online retailers, banking, and this account on daemonforums created just yesterday. I've quit the web almost entirely. My online activity now exclusively takes place over SMTP, IRC, ssh, and gopher.
Quote:
As someone who loves computers, programming, technology more than anyone, enough to spend every second of the day in front of a text editor running in a framebuffer,
I have a Linux boot that weighs in at around a 7MB vmlinux and 9MB initrd, both xz compressed, loads into around 50MB ram. Repeated iterations of refining the .config file that is used to compile the kernel that is highly specific to my laptop/hardware, all modules built into the kernel. Primarily kernel + busybox, but with some additionals such as, wpa for wifi net connection, OpenSSH, framebuffer vnc, squashfs-tools, alsa and sndio ...etc. Boots in a second or two, textual framebuffer as yourself. I also spend time in SMTP, IRC .. ssh/tmux (I use screen), as well as telnet into some BBS's (friendly communities). ssh also opens up access to my android phone (within which I've installed termux (f-droids version) which simplifies typing into that (rather than using the phones on-screen keypad) and transferring over photos/videos from the phone to the laptop.

The framebuffer is underrated IMO, for instance I create a ssh tunnel and framebuffer vnc into our 'server' (a desktop i5 within which I run a kvm/qemu instance for my own personal access/use, that runs a jwm/chrome/libreoffice type gui session), so that 16MB boot system has chrome surfing experience at the servers (hard wired) speed, despite the laptop being (old) wifi connected.

Usually when you ctrl-alt-Fn to another tty you first ctrl-alt-space the gui (vnc) session in order to prevent bleed-through, gui desktop updates layered on top of your cli/tty session, however I often like to leave those updates running, as that way for instance a playing youtube is still visible within the cli session. vnc with sound also forwarded (sndiod) works well IMO, just position the gui/youtube to a region that best fits with being overlaid with the cli.

Not really a smartphone user myself had a old phone/sms only type phone for years, topped that up infrequently. But then land lines became expensive to rent, so ditched that and was given a smartphone by other family members. I just have the base as-is system along with termux app installed and that meets my needs (camera/video recorder/phone/sms'ing). Also serves as a hotspot (internet access) when I'm out and about.

I just quickly snapped three images of my laptop, scaled them down so the quality is (quick and dirty) low. The first is the kvm/qemu gui desktop I vnc into, for chrome/libre office (and editing photos) etc. The second is where I've ctrl-alt-fn to a tty session leaving the vnc session updating - so the video (youtube) continues to be seen/heard, with the cli session running bmon (network activity). The third is the same, but with the youtube position adjusted and running htop in the cli session, showing around 50MB of ram being used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i1.jpg (69.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg i2.jpg (99.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg i3.jpg (93.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by rufwoof; 28th November 2023 at 09:02 AM.