DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st August 2011
Port Guard

Default new system - recommend chip sets / motherboards

I would like to put a new AMD64 4.9 system together. My current computer is 4-5 years old. I figure should replace it before it dies. Normally, I just buy a motherboard and assemble the system myself.

I am wondering what the best approach is to getting hardware that is compatible. I saw the ' hardware support' thread by rgb_cn. It said to avoid newer chip sets, on board graphics and nvidia vieo.

My guess is that a lot of the motherboards that are in the stores are probably not supported because the chip sets are within the last 6 months. Does one need to buy motherboard now and tuck away for a year or so?

I am looking at AMD motherboards because I remember seeing various threads about how intel did not implement W^X correctly. I also have the impression that AMD is open source friendly as they donated hardware a ways back. Several of the motherboards that I looked at have AMD 850 or 880 chipsets. I see the following mentioned in the change log for 4.9:

ChangeLog.34:PCI id is shared between the SB600, SB700 and SB800 chipsets.
ChangeLog.34:mention the AMD SB700 and SB800 chipsets.
ChangeLog.34:- rename some SATA entries which are shared between the ATI SB700 and SB800 chipsets
ChangeLog.34:- add some new SATA entries for the ATI SB700 and SB800 chipsets

I tried:

1. man -k on several terms, it did not find anything usefull for various terms that I put in for chip sets. (On 4.9)

2. I also looked at the 'Your OpenBSD Hardware', but there is not a lot there that is recent.

3. Various searches on the web.

I am not looking for super fast video or latest hardware. My current system dual core AMD 64 3800. I certain do not need a video card with fan because that is just a waste for me as my current embedded (hate to say it) nvidia had enough performance for me. I am looking for a system that works reliably and does not have issues. For example, I saw a thread about some hardware that had a very high interrupt rate that causes a bit of a performance issue because it was a bit too new.

Would intel motherboard be better than AMD?

Anyway, just looking for some guidance to get to some specific. If I am not reading something that I should have read, feel free to flame me.