DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2011
Package Pilot

Default "Can't check filesystem" error after installation

Hello people,I just installed OBSD 4.9 to an IBM Lenovo X60!My Laptop has no CD Drive so i inserted the laptop's hard disk to a case to make it external hard disk!I installed it by chosing "sd0"(installation completed succesfuly) and when i attached the hard disk to my lenovo again i get this error:

Code:
Can't open /dev/rsd0a: Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILESYSTEM.
/dev/rsd0a:UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
Automatic file system check failed; help!
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

Any ideas how to make it work?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
...i inserted the laptop's hard disk to a case to make it external hard disk!I
I can only assume that once moved back to the laptop, the hard drive is not identified in dmesg(8) as /dev/sd0. I assume the laptop identifies it as /dev/wd0.

If this hard drive was connected to the other system via USB, all USB devices are connected through the SCSI subsystem -- hence the references to /dev/sd0 found in /etc/fstab.

This can be fixed by editing /etc/fstab. Use the device node seen in the laptop's dmesg(8) output.

As a personal request, please limit the number of exclamation points (!) used in your messages. Exclamation points are meant to indicate emphasis. Using exclamation points for every sentence is frequently interpreted as shouting.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2011
Package Pilot

Thanx for the quick reply.How can i edit the /etc/fstab?I have not vi available as far as i can see.

I keep that in mind about '!' but rest assured; there's no shouting in my typing.

edit: the hard disk is identified as 'wd0'
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
How can i edit the /etc/fstab?I have not vi available as far as i can see.
I assume you are attempting to edit having booted with bsd.rd which is more than simply a kernel -- bsd.rd installs a limited system into memory for the purposes of installation. As such, only ed(1) is available in this environment. ed(1) is very simple programmatically (& it doesn't consume much space...) -- some might characterize it as primitive.

Assuming you installed the complete system onto the hard drive being transferred, vi(1) is available as it is installed in /usr/bin. In order to access vi(1), you will need to manually mount the partition containing /usr.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2011
More noise than signal

If you boot in single-user mode, no mounts will be made, though the root partition will be available read only (it will be the "a" partition on booted device, most likely wd0). To boot in single user mode, use "-s" at the boot> prompt.

Mount points vary. Once you reach the shell, issue the following commands (assuming wd0 is the device, and /etc is in the root partition):

# export TERM=vt220
# mount /dev/wd0a /
# cat /etc/fstab

(Look for your /usr partition, this example will assume you see it as /dev/sd0f. Change accordingly.)

# mount /dev/wd0f /usr

----

From here, you can use vi(1) or mg(1) or sed(1) to edit the file.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2011
Banned

As stated by jggimi, if you installed OpenBSD to the drive when it was in an enclosure it would be on the USB bus and hence be detected as a simulated SCSI drive.

Once installed back in the new system it would be on the native controller for that system, device names and numbering obvious may differ.. this should have been apparent to you.

At the boot> prompt you could pass '-a' along with '-s' as a flag to manually specific the root partition so that you're using the GENERIC kernel and not the RAMDISK kernel, the same thing applies.. you need to fix your fstab file to contain the right disk so that the partitions are mounted at boot time.

Fortunately with I believe in 5.0 the installer will ask if you want to use DUID's instead of device names in the fstab.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2011
Package Pilot

Yeap,Jggimi's suggestions did it.Thank you very much.