DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2011
New User

Default pf.conf label question

Hello

I have the following rule in my pf.conf (on OpenBSD 4.3)

Code:
rdr pass on $new_if proto tcp from any to 123.123.123.33 port {80,443}  -> 10.0.0.99
now I want to add a label to this rule. I use the label for later traffic analysis. I tried out a lot of variations, but I think this one should work:

Code:
rdr pass on $new_if proto tcp from any to 123.123.123.33 port {80,443} label test -> 10.0.0.99
But when I try to load the config, I always get the error:
pfctl: Syntax error in config file: pf rules not loaded

Any ideas how I can set the label to this rule. I don't want to split it to a rdr and a pass rule. That works, I want to have it in the same rule.
Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro7 View Post
I have the following rule in my pf.conf (on OpenBSD 4.3)
OpenBSD 4.3 was released in May 2008, & official support ended May 2009 -- nearly 2.5 years ago. Is there a reason why you are using such an old version?

If you are using information from the current PF Users' Guide, recognize that pf(4) has undergone radical changes in the intervening years. Using information from the current 5.0 Guide will likely not work on OpenBSD 4.3 & vice versa.

If you must use OpenBSD 4.3, your best bet is to resurrect the PF Users' Guide from the 4.3 era which can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/www/faq/pf/

Last edited by ocicat; 13th December 2011 at 06:52 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2011
Administrator

In normal pf rules labels come last. An example from my workstation pf.conf
Code:
pass out quick on egress inet proto tcp from egress to any port www label "$nr:$proto:WWW"
pass out quick on egress inet proto tcp from egress to any port imaps label "$nr:$proto:IMAPS"
pass out quick on egress inet proto tcp from egress to any port https label "$nr:$proto:HTTPS"
pass out quick on egress inet proto tcp from egress to any port smtp label "$nr:$proto:SMTP"
In the BNF at the end of the 4.3 pf.conf man page label is a definition of filteropt and a filteropt-list:
Code:
     filteropt-list = filteropt-list filteropt | filteropt

filteropt      = user | group | flags | icmp-type | icmp6-type | tos |
                      ( "no" | "keep" | "modulate" | "synproxy" ) "state"
                      [ "(" state-opts ")" ] |
                      "fragment" | "no-df" | "min-ttl" number |
                      "max-mss" number | "random-id" | "reassemble tcp" |
                      fragmentation | "allow-opts" |
                      "label" string | "tag" string | [ ! ] "tagged" string |
                      "queue" ( string | "(" string [ [ "," ] string ] ")" ) |
                      "rtable" number | "probability" number"%"
The BNF for a pf rule states:
Code:
     pf-rule        = action [ ( "in" | "out" ) ]
                      [ "log" [ "(" logopts ")"] ] [ "quick" ]
                      [ "on" ifspec ] [ "fastroute" | route ] [ af ] [ protospec ]
                      hosts [ filteropt-list ]
So the label is one of the last things in a pf rule.

Now look at the BNF for the 4.3 rdr statement:
Code:
     rdr-rule       = [ "no" ] "rdr" [ "pass" [ "log" [ "(" logopts ")" ] ] ]
                      [ "on" ifspec ] [ af ]
                      [ protospec ] hosts [ "tag" string ] [ "tagged" string ]
                      [ "->" ( redirhost | "{" redirhost-list "}" )
                      [ portspec ] [ pooltype ] ]
Neither a filteropt nor a label to be seen

PS: The 4.3 pf.conf manual can be found at http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...86&format=html
No need to resurrect an old pf.conf faq
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2011
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
OpenBSD 4.3 was released in May 2008, & official support ended May 2009 -- nearly 2.5 years ago. Is there a reason why you are using such an old version?
I know that is very old, currently a bit afraid of upgrading the system as it is just working more then perfect. But it's a task for next year to upgrade that server. So in that case I assume that i first need to upgrade and then come back here in case it does not work ;-)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2011
Administrator

Quote:
So in that case I assume that i first need to upgrade and then come back here in case it does not work ;-)
Recognize that OpenBSD's upgrade policy is incremental to the next version only -- meaning that to upgrade OpenBSD 4.3 to OpenBSD 5.0 requires upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4, followed by 4.4 to 4.5, etc. all the way up to 5.0. While you can do all the individual upgrades if you so choose, I would simply suggest doing a fresh install of OpenBSD 5.0.

...& given that pf(4) has gone through major revision itself, study both the User's Guide & manpage as previously mentioned, & build a new pf.conf(5) file from scratch. You will learn from the process & better understand how to modify it later.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2011
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
meaning that to upgrade OpenBSD 4.3 to OpenBSD 5.0 requires upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4, followed by 4.4 to 4.5, etc. all the way up to 5.0.
thanks for that information, it's very helpful... as you can assume, I never upgraded openbsd, but i just got thorugh the upgrade info from openbsd. I think it's fastest do install a fresh 5.0 and copy over the relevant config files ;-)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2011
Administrator

Quote:
I never upgraded openbsd, but i just got thorugh the upgrade info from openbsd. I think it's fastest do install a fresh 5.0 and copy over the relevant config files ;-)
When doing upgrades, it is also advised to study the Upgrade Guide to see if there are further issues which need to be considered.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2011
More noise than signal

@toro7, the main differences between an upgrade and an install are:
  1. No disk gets formatted; all filesystems are left in place.
  2. Configuration files are not touched; the etc*.tgz and xetc*.tgz filesets are not utilized.
  3. Updating of /etc and /var configuration files is left to the user to conduct manually following each release's upgrade guide, or with sysmerge(8).
  4. The upgrade guide for each release includes additional considerations for specific configurations or applications that may require manual steps.
Some things to consider regarding configuration files in /etc and /var:

• You must not merely copy your 4.3 configuration files onto a 5.0 system. Many of these files have had significant change, in similar fashion to pf.conf(5). Instead of copying files, you must integrate your local customizations into 5.0 configuration files.
  • I referred to sysmerge(8) above. It does not exist in your system, it was added at OpenBSD release 4.4. It makes the integration of local customizations in updated configuration files automatic or semi-automatic, depending on complexity. (It is based on mergemaster, a FreeBSD tool that used to be in the OpenBSD ports tree. It is no longer needed.)
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2011
Administrator

As a final comment, studying the information in Section 4 of the FAQ is also paramount to understanding the install process. Upgrading is nominally discussed there as well.

There is a wealth of information to be found in both the FAQ & Upgrade Guides. Studying these beforehand with alleviate aggravation & prevent blunders. Many of the questions/situations we deal with here are from those that don't take the time to understand the information contained.
Old 5th January 2012
Port Guard

since 4.3, bridge file syntax has changed, among other things in pf.... if you can build out your new version 5 firewall in parallel to the production one, and put one non-important host behind it, its not a bad way to debug/test your new ruleset.