DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2009
Complete BSD nubcake

Default Box shuts itself down

I'm scratching my head on this one.

I have a FreeBSD 7.1 server that is running my company's CRM, help desk ticketing system, and a few other web-based products.

It's a virtual server running on a VMWare ESX cluster.

Every once in a while, the box will just halt. As if someone sent a plain jane shutdown command.

Although there is no record of anyone sending such a command. VMWare shows that nobody logged in and shut the box down via VMWare or logged into the console and initiated shutdown that way. SSHD shows no logs of anyone logging into the box.

I have no clue where to begin looking for an answer to this. Most of the resolutions I've found to this problem are all hardware issues... which don't apply to this situation since the OS is running on a virtual hardware platform provided by VMWare.

Additionally, I've cloned this virtual machine and set it up elsewhere and that clone is not having a single problem such as this.

Any and all help is much appreciated because one of the company officers is using this issue as fuel for the fire in his war against the CRM and ticket tracking... he's an email junkie and wants EVERYTHING in email and to use email for everything... document management, ticket tracking, work documentation, time clock, and everything else under the sun.

Last edited by Yuka; 19th May 2009 at 01:50 PM.