DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Port Guard

Default Looking for a Canadian server vendor

I am looking for a good Canadian, FreeBSD-friendly server vendor. I have searched internationally (read: USA) and came across Iron Systems, which had some props from the members of WebHostingTalk.

Iron Systems has a server that fits our needs, and is fairly cheap, however the shipping, brokerage fees, and potential duty fees would raise the price significantly (by at least $100).

So, now I'm looking for vendors in Canada, preferably in Vancouver or Victoria BC. Also, if anybody has experience with cross border shopping for servers, I would appreciate any anecdotes on the brokerage/duty fees, specifically does "Assembled in USA" count towards the whole "Free Trade" thing?

Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

When we did our searching for FreeBSD and Linux friendly server vendors, we found a lot in the Vancouver area. That was 3 or 4 years ago though. We didn't go with any of them. Instead, we researched FreeBSD and Linux friendly chipsets and hardware, and had a local computer computer custom build our servers. We were able to get hardware we know works with FreeBSD/Linux, with support/warranty coverage right here in town. Plus, the costs were lower than going with a pre-built server. YMMV, of course.

We just did google searches. Sorry, don't remember any of the names.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Package Pilot

What about dell.ca?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2008
Port Guard

First off, thanks for the replies. I checked with the COO and he said go for it, so I ended up going with Iron Systems anyway.

Stukov, I have looked into dell.ca before. One thing I noticed is that they really like Broadcom for on-board network. Our current server (Tyan GX28 B2881) has on-board Broadcom gigabit ethernet which caused the server to hang every 24 hours or so. I had to actually disable it via jumpers to cease the hanging. Plus, I just checked out dell.ca and they didn't have anything as low-end as I would have liked. Perhaps I should have mentioned better what I was looking for...

Phoenix, I think this would be the route I should take next time. Did you go barebone+parts, or just select everything (eg: case, motherboard, etc)?

The biggest concern for me were the power requirements. With just over an amp left in the rack, I had to be careful. Iron Systems did have an answer for me regarding power usage, so that ultimately won in my mind. In the future though, it would be nice to have a Canadian company to rely on.

Tags
canada, freebsd, server, vendor