DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2023
Shell Scout

Smile Howto Make OpenBSD Look Like Ubuntu

OK,

Here's my latest blog post: https://functionallyparanoid.com/imi...m-of-flattery/

Many of you will ask "why?!?!?!?!" but I've just gotten used to using Ubuntu for my day job and it is less visually jarring to me when I use OpenBSD after work if it looks like this.

Don't worry, I didn't do anything nutty like setting bash as my default shell or something truly crazy!

Last edited by bceverly; 18th July 2023 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added link
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th July 2023
Port Guard

1) I can't see your blog link
2) I am also forced to use Ubuntu based distros on edge devices like Pi and Jetson for work. Basic commands like ifconfig don't work out of the box. Would be great to have tips on how to make Ubuntu look like OpenBSD :-)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th July 2023
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

Have you read and or responded to "Shep's" configuration files and information here under "GUIDES"?

Just a side note and possible more importantly:
If your looking for pure simplicity and security OpenBSD is the choice. It can be configured to be easier on the eyes without much security issues. (See Shep's Guide). It will take a bit of understanding and patience to do so.

If your looking for a fast appealing Desktop for general interaction at the office or home that you do not need to
spend lots of time configuring and or thinking about howto's (i.e. mounting an external device etc) go with a major linux distro. But be aware that the same tools in linux that make that experience easy also adds in some cases Security risks. (Convenience almost always increases risk) In addition use and configuration of OpenBSD in time increases your general knowledge of operating systems and security issues. You will become a much more capable user as well as enjoying high levels of security. Further, there is superb help here on this forum for technical issues that are usually free of Trolls and or extraneous info.

If you host websites and or your system is exposed to the internet 24/7, you cannot beat in my opinion the
packet filtering configuration options in OpenBSD.

Last edited by frcc; 18th July 2023 at 11:40 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th July 2023
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudostem View Post
1) I can't see your blog link
2) I am also forced to use Ubuntu based distros on edge devices like Pi and Jetson for work. Basic commands like ifconfig don't work out of the box. Would be great to have tips on how to make Ubuntu look like OpenBSD :-)
Sorry, the URL is https://functionallyparanoid.com/imi...m-of-flattery/
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th July 2023
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcc View Post
Have you read and or responded to "Shep's" configuration files and information here under "GUIDES"?

Just a side note and possible more importantly:
If your looking for pure simplicity and security OpenBSD is the choice. It can be configured to be easier on the eyes without much security issues. (See Shep's Guide). It will take a bit of understanding and patience to do so.

If your looking for a fast appealing Desktop for general interaction at the office or home that you do not need to
spend lots of time configuring and or thinking about howto's (i.e. mounting an external device etc) go with a major linux distro. But be aware that the same tools in linux that make that experience easy also adds in some cases Security risks. (Convenience almost always increases risk) In addition use and configuration of OpenBSD in time increases your general knowledge of operating systems and security issues. You will become a much more capable user as well as enjoying high levels of security. Further, there is superb help here on this forum for technical issues that are usually free of Trolls and or extraneous info.

If you host websites and or your system is exposed to the internet 24/7, you cannot beat in my opinion the
packet filtering configuration options in OpenBSD.
Believe me, I'm 110% sold on OpenBSD. I just found it mentally jarring to switch from Ubuntu (which I have to use for my day job because, well, I work for them LOL) to OpenBSD for evenings and weekends. I had been running Gnome 3 on OpenBSD for quite a while now but by syncing up the little things like colors, themes, terminal prompt, it made it smoother for me.