DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th August 2019
Port Guard

Thumbs down OpenBSD timed out connection

Trying to add kde-baseapps4, and in general connection is timed out after a time, pressing Ctrl-C, and again using pkg_add program name works sometimes.

But for packages that are relatively bigger, there is no way to install them, I've tried up to ten times, Ctrl-C, pkg_add..., always the same issue.

I have read the manual page for pkg_add, and it said that packages should be downloaded locally and after that, installed manually, simply using pkg_add program_name into a directory of the computer.

But it does not work anyway!

Anybody have an idea how to install packages manually after they were downloaded?

Thank you for your help.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2019
More noise than signal

Use a different mirror. Either a CDN, or a mirror close to you.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2019
parrot

If trying a different mirror does not work, and the OP wants to download the package, and install manually:

I just manually installed a small package " sl ", to confirm, it does work, there are a couple of ways to approach this. 1. https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html
You could use the method they show,
Code:
 # export PKG_PATH=
The path would be the correct path to where you have the package , where you downloaded it to.
I did not actually try that method.
What I did, first I downloaded the package, in my case I just used "sl" , it is a small package, easy to install I have no desire to try installing all the kde package, but any way:
After I downloaded it, I edited my /etc/installurl so that it looks like this:
Code:
file://home/garry/Downloads
Since installurl looks for some subdirectories , I did need to use "mkdir" and make the directories it looks for,
Code:
parrot$ pwd
/home/garry/Downloads/6.5/packages-stable/amd64
I copied the package. from Downloads, to the /amd64 dir:
Code:
parrot$ pwd
/home/garry/Downloads/6.5/packages-stable/amd64
parrot$ ls
 sl-5.02.tgz
sl-5.02.tgz installed just fine using the pkg_add command,
Contrary to
Quote:
What error messages do you get, when it does not work ? That would be the key to getting some idea what is wrong. For example, at first it did not work for me either, but I got a clear error message, saying it could not find the package, and it showed me the path it used, and that is what I used to make the directories needed to make that path work,.. hope that makes sense,..
======= edited ====
Years back, I had trouble with one package, no longer remember which one, but any way, it would install fine, up to a point, and for some reason, 1 dependency was not installing, and would bring the install process to a halt, so that is what I did, I downloaded the 1 file that was causing a problem, installed it manually, after that the rest of the package installed just fine using a mirror.
======== edited again ====
This works as well:
Code:
parrot# export PKG_PATH=file://home/garry/Downloads 
parrot# pkg_add -v sl-5.02.tgz                      
sl-5.02: ok
Extracted 29960 from 30207
parrot#

Last edited by PapaParrot; 9th August 2019 at 02:25 AM. Reason: posted same time as jggimi, add comment
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2019
Port Guard

Default The nearest to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Use a different mirror. Either a CDN, or a mirror close to you.
The mirror I'm using is the most near by to me. Thanks. I'll try to change to other site and test.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2019
Port Guard

Default Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaParrot View Post
If trying a different mirror does not work, and the OP wants to download the package, and install manually:
What kind of error?. Just nothing. Intaller stops, and when pressing Ctrl-C, appears something that tells... "partial installation recorded in .../.../...perl5/...."

If a resume using pkg_add program_name... sometimes finish all right, but others stop again.

When the package installation is completed, indicates that partial installation was deleted from the data base.

Last edited by ocicat; 9th August 2019 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added missing [/QUOTE] tag.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2019
OpenBSD language porter

So far, all you've explained is a network error on your side.
Change the mirror you're getting packages from. The magic file is /etc/installurl.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2019
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
The magic file is /etc/installurl.
Which may be overridden by PKG_PATH or PKG_PATH_TRUSTED environment variables.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2019
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Which may be overridden by PKG_PATH or PKG_PATH_TRUSTED environment variables.
True, but I see no evidence that either were used in this scenario.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2019
parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luarini View Post
Trying to add kde-baseapps4, and in general connection is timed out after a time, pressing Ctrl-C, and again using pkg_add program name works sometimes.

But for packages that are relatively bigger, there is no way to install them, I've tried up to ten times, Ctrl-C, pkg_add..., always the same issue.

I have read the manual page for pkg_add, and it said that packages should be downloaded locally and after that, installed manually, simply using pkg_add program_name into a directory of the computer.

Anybody have an idea how to install packages manually after they were downloaded?

Thank you for your help.
I am full quoting the Original post, because I have questions about certain parts, and it is easier for me, to have it right in front of me,..with that said:
It seems clear, the package : kde-baseapps4 is one that you are having problems with ?
What version ? and What version of OpenBsd ? Please show us the output:
Code:
sysctl kern.version
The current version : kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8.tgz is for OpenBsd6.5 I am willing to try to confirm if there is a problem with the package it's self, on a VM, but I need to know the exact version of OpenBsd, and the package that is a problem for you.

Quote:
---snips--works sometimes.

But for packages that are relatively bigger, there is no way to install them, ---snip--
Which other packages , specifically ? Same thing, no one can check this out with out knowing the exact packages, it seems odd to me, one of the reasons I find OpenBsd the perfect and the best OS for my Desktop PC, is the simple and reliable package installation.
The only problem I ever have, and it is not at all the fault of OpenBsd, my ISP (Internet Service Provider), is very poor, and slow, some times I also get timeouts, and just have to try again later. I generally try to avoid large packages when possible because of this.
A alternative would be to go some where, that has a good fast ISP, and download the entire package, put it on a usb device, or something. Then install it manually, as mentioned earlier.
If you have a bad internet connection, yes it could make installing large packages difficult, but this is not a fault of OpenBsd, it is the internet connection. Fortunately, it is relatively simple to install a package from a storage device, manually. When necessary I use a internet cafe, to do the downloads, or the internet connection at a friends office, (actually Ex employeer, where I used to work).

Quote:
When the package installation is completed, indicates that partial installation was deleted from the data base.
Well, yes , if and when the package installation is completed, there would be no need to keep the partial installation data. How ever, that is another feature I like about OpenBsd, when I have had time outs, or aborted a installation, it picks up where it left off, and uses the partial installation, so eventually, even large packages get partially installed, and each time I try again, it is less that needs to be downloaded, etc. Patience goes a long ways.
parrot

I decided to try with kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8.tgz on a OpenBsd6.5 VM, wow, it really is a big package, over a hour, it actually seems to be hung here:
Code:
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:adwaita-icon-theme-3.30.1 (extracting)|******************************    | 87%
No timeout though, I am going to give it a while longer though. Note to the OP, notice I also keep a console window open, sometimes that will show error messages that are usefull.

Sometime back, as I mentioned, on another package, I had a similar problem, and it would "hang", stop installing at a certain point,.. so I downloaded the specific package , only the one where it hung, for example in this case it is the:
Code:
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:adwaita-icon-theme-3.30.1
that seems to be hanging. So I will only download that, and install it manually, if need be. Then try to continue with the installation again, it will skip that, if it all ready has been installed. Hope that makes sense.
parrot

I decided to abort and this is what I get:
Code:
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:adwaita-icon-theme-3.30.1 (extracting)|******************************    | 87%

Interrupted
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:adwaita-icon-theme-3.30.1Adjusting sha for /usr/local/share/icons/Adwaita/cursors/pkg.x7m6aaQ1Dc from D+v4gLZ9ph1vfjiEpcthG9UEGI5A94EKrtrE7ldm0jU= to EFNdMX2PhCp2/GgmrcLWEDMem2cfaU/vWTLnqLmmBCY=
Running tags: ok
New and changed readme(s):
	/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/ffmpeg
	/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/gnupg
	/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/gtk+2
	/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/sdl2
Fatal error: Caught SIGINT. Installation of adwaita-icon-theme-3.30.1 failed, partial installation recorded as partial-adwaita-icon-theme-3.30.1
 at /usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgAdd.pm line 796.
@OP, if you can provide these kind of details, it would help us help you, maybe , I will get back on this later.
=====edit======
So I try again, this time "kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:adwaita-icon-theme-3.30.1" installs ok:
Code:
  pkg_add kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8.tgz  
quirks-3.124 signed on 2019-04-15T12:10:16Z
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:upower-0.99.9p0: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:mozilla-dicts-en-GB-1.3p1: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:hunspell-1.6.2p0: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:enchant-1.6.1p1: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:exiv2-0.26p0v0: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:clucene-core-2.3.3.4p3: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:libtheora-1.1.1p3: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:lz4-1.8.3: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:zstd-1.3.8: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:libarchive-3.3.3: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:partial-adwaita-icon-theme-3.30.1->adwaita-icon-theme-3.30.1: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:at-spi2-core-2.30.1p0: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:at-spi2-atk-2.30.1: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:gtk+3-3.24.7: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:gcr-3.28.1p0: ok
kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8:gvfs-1.38.2: ok
=====
Seems to be moving along, now.

Last edited by PapaParrot; 9th August 2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 9th August 2019
parrot

Finally, but it fails to install:
Code:
Can't install kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8 because of conflicts (kdebase-3.5.10p59)
Running tags|**********************************************         | 83%Error in file "/usr/local/share/applications/kde/kfontview.desktop": "fonts/package" is an invalid MIME type ("fonts" is an unregistered media type)
Error in file "/usr/local/share/applications/kde/printers.desktop": "print/manager" is an invalid MIME type ("print" is an unregistered media type)
Running tags: ok
Read shared items: ok
The following new rcscripts were installed: /etc/rc.d/nmbd /etc/rc.d/samba /etc/rc.d/samba_ad_dc /etc/rc.d/smbd /etc/rc.d/winbindd
See rcctl(8) for details.
New and changed readme(s):
	/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/consolekit2
	/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/gtk+3
	/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/samba
	/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/upower
--- +hunspell-1.6.2p0 -------------------
Install mozilla dictionaries for extra hunspell languages.
e.g.
    # pkg_add mozilla-dicts-ca
--- +kde-runtime-4.14.3p15 -------------------
KDE apps actively use shared memory and open many file descriptors.
So you'll need to tweak sysctl values like that:

sysctl kern.shminfo.shmall=51200 kern.shminfo.shmmni=1024
  sysctl kern.maxfiles=20000

Remember to save those values in /etc/sysctl.conf after successful testing.

Per-process open files limit should be at least 4000 due to the kded4
file monitoring technique.
--- +nepomuk-core-4.14.3p3 -------------------
If you want to use Nepomuk, install Virtuoso (databases/virtuoso).
--- +python-2.7.16 -------------------
If you want to use this package as your default system python, as root
create symbolic links like so (overwriting any previous default):
 ln -sf /usr/local/bin/python2.7 /usr/local/bin/python
 ln -sf /usr/local/bin/python2.7-2to3 /usr/local/bin/2to3
 ln -sf /usr/local/bin/python2.7-config /usr/local/bin/python-config
 ln -sf /usr/local/bin/pydoc2.7  /usr/local/bin/pydoc
--- kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8 -------------------
Can't install kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8: conflicts
Couldn't install kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8
parrotvm#
@ OP, if kde is something really important to you, then maybe contact packagers and also report bugs, to me it is not at all essential and like I mentioned earlier, normally I would not even consider installing it, OpenBsd is a very robust,reliable system, and works quite well as a Desktop OS on both my daughters Laptop, and my PC, however I do understand others might not feel the same, and that is why they work at trying to develop this type of software, but after all said and done it is not needed ,and I have no reason to go any further with it my self. Sorry I could not be of more help
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaParrot View Post
Finally, but it fails to install:
[code]Can't install kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8 because of conflicts (kdebase-3.5.10p59)
Garry, you can't install KDE4 if you have KDE3 already installed. Your error is not related to Luarini's reported issue.
Old 10th August 2019
parrot

Ok, sorry about that, interesting and I probably should have waited until we had more details from the OP, but as far as that goes, we don't know what version of OpenBsd they are actually using, and maybe they do have KDE3 installed ?
All though like ibara said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
So far, all you've explained is a network error on your side.
Change the mirror you're getting packages from. The magic file is /etc/installurl.
It probably is a network issue any way. I did manage to get KDE3 working though, but I suppose that is another topic, again I apologize if I caused any confusion. The main point though, we need better details from the OP, as I demonstrated,... and quite quickly you spotted why I could not install the kde-baseapps-4.14.3p8 , I still was confused on that. Thanks.
Port Guard

Smile MY OpenBSD is the last version...

OpenBSD 6.5... the last version.

My internet is slow, I know. But I found a way to install packages that end up timed out.

I opened two text consoles, in one I have PKG_PATH=OpenBSD_site_of_packages, in other I have PKG_PATH=/root

When a packasge is timed out, I press Ctrl-C, go to the second console, I downloaded, asnd then installed wia pkg_src.

But still is a long and heavy work to install, in example, kde4.
Old 11th August 2019
parrot

Well, that is good , you managed to get it installed. Yes, it is a very large package. I tried again, but on a new VM, with out KDE3. I ran into some other problems, apparently one needs to be sure the
Code:
/dev/sd0h   /usr/local
has over 2gb space available. The VM I was using was only 20gb,
and at the end on the installation, it failed, telling me there was not enough space.
===edited====
out of date

Last edited by PapaParrot; 11th August 2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11th August 2019
More noise than signal

Garry, please don't direct people to that 3rd party "howto." It was last updated twelve (12) years ago, and is very much out-of-date.

OpenBSD users who want to install the KDE framework and application suite should use the KDE meta-packages, which have been available since OpenBSD 5.5. Here's an excerpt from the README:
Code:
The KDE4 desktop can be installed using 2 different meta-packages:
    * kde4-minimal, for a base KDE4 SC installation
    * kde4, for a full KDE4 SC installation
They are focused on standard usage; i.e., development packages are left
out on purpose and can be installed via kdesdk and kdebindings packages.
Also, there is a kdegames meta-package which will install all games from
KDE4 SC.
Note that at this time, KDE5 is not available for OpenBSD, and it is my understanding that there is no roadmap for deployment.
Old 11th August 2019
parrot

Thanks, and I edited to remove it, sorry
More noise than signal

Thank you!
Old 12th August 2019
Administrator

From pkg_add(1):
Quote:
-n
Don't actually install a package, just report the steps that would be taken if it was. Will still copy packages to PKG_CACHE if applicable.
So if you would set the PKG_CACHE and PKG_PATH environment variable to the same directory. You could do first do a # pkg_add -n to fetch all packages before you actually install them.