DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2011
New User

Default Update problem with .xz file format

My troubles started when the video card on my basement server bought the farm. I could not find the exact replacement for a Nvidia GeForce 7100GS so I selected a GeForce 8400 thinking that the drivers could be the same. After installing the new card and trying to bring up Xorg and KDE the screen went blank. The only way to kill the offending process was to use telnet from another machine. It is nice to have access to the Internet when I have need for it.

Searching for drivers from Nvidia for FreeBSD I found this NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-260.19.36.tar.gz. So I downloaded it and tried to run make and it told me that I need version 7.1 or later. I am running 6.2 because there has been no need to upgrade until now.

So it’s update time. I have an extra hard drive that I use to try stuff on before I try it on something important. Good place to try the latest version. After I downloaded 8.2 from the FreeBSD sites I find that there is a file FreeBSD-8.2-RC3-amd64-dvd1.iso.xz that has yet another compression algorithm.

Here we go again! I downloaded from the FreeBSD fresh ports xz.tar.gz that will decompress the .xz file or so it says. However when I try it I get the following error;

Prometheus# pwd
/usr/ports/accessibility/xz
Prometheus# make install clean
===> Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
=> xz-5.0.0.tar.gz is not in /usr/ports/accessibility/xz/distinfo.
=> Either /usr/ports/accessibility/xz/distinfo is out of date, or
=> xz-5.0.0.tar.gz is spelled incorrectly.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/accessibility/xz.
Prometheus#

The CD version does not have the ports collection on it. It only has the DOCS.

Any idea what I am doing wrong other than buying cheap junk made in China?

Keith
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2011
Administrator

All these FreeBSDers with their fixation on using ports

Why don't just install the pre-compiled binary package from say ftp://ftp.nl.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD...s/xz-5.0.0.tbz ?

RE: cheap junk made in China

IIRC more than 90% of all computer hardware is manufactured in China. Your iPhone too, only that is sold expensively by Apple. All big names in the computer industry shop in China, where the Taiwanese motherboard manufacturers have their factories. These companies also buy cheap and sell expensive.

And in case you are in the USA, you better be nice to China. Remember without China buying up US government bonds the USA would be declared bankrupt
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2011
Banned

The Chinese make some pretty damn fine hardware, I wouldn't buy American.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2011
New User

J65nko,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to do a package add but it could not find the file for ver 6.2. I have not touched the system for a couple of years and things tend to get fuzzy. The system just keeps running and never breaks.

Thanks again.

Now for a quick comment. You can't buy anything made in the USA because anything of value has been sold to the highest bidder and any talent has been exported to the lowest wage source. The US is already bankrupt only the powers that be keep putting a spin on it.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2011
Administrator

I was still wondering, how come that video cards can buy farms, that I forgot you are still on 6.2

You still can use the CD to do a network install. Then it will get the missing sets through the internet.

Alternatively download the sets to a local box, acting as ftp server. Then install from that local ftp server. To download the sets you can use the script I posted http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=4212

BTW why you are still using a RC3 version of 8.2.?The 8.2 release is already out, no need to bother with Release Candidate 3
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2011
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
I was still wondering, how come that video cards can buy farms, that I forgot you are still on 6.2
"Bought the Farm" is an old American idiom that dates back to the Barnstormers after WW I when the pilot crashed his plane and died in a farmer's field in doing so destroyed the crops. His estate was liable for the damage to the farm. So the expression "Bought the Farm" means that he, she, or it has died. The idiom "Gone South" has the same meaning, that has died. When I took the video card out it was hot enough to burn your skin and had a couple of melted electrolytic capacitors.

All kidding aside I really appreciate you help. The RC3 version I downloaded on Friday from ftp10.us.freebsd.org. It was the only one there. I have found the RELEASE version on ftp.5.us.freebsd.org and attempting to download it.

There is one thing that I want to point out is that the xz program that you pointed me to does not work. Running it an error occurs;

$ xz
xz: 33: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

The download file size is 236 KB.
I downloaded the same file from ftp.us.5.freebsd.org and the size was 251 KB.
When I run it I get this.

$ xz
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libthr.so.3" not found, required by "xz"

I need to find the missing piece. It appears that all the sites may not be up to date????

I can't get man to work so that is something I need to look into. No manual entry. I might go the way of the network install and forget creating a DVD for the update. I have never done it and that should be exciting. I need to find some time in the next few days. As I said it is a server and is working just fine with the new card without any Xorg and KDE working.

Thanks again!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th February 2011
Administrator

Man pages can be found on the Internet. See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?q...ts&format=html

BTW Thanks for updating me about American idioms