DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th August 2012
New User

Smile FreeBSD in Macbook 3.1 Santarosa White

I have a macbook which currently use Linux Mageia 2 but I would like to migrate to FreeBSD to have more experience with Unix than Linux as one of the problems that there are too many Linux distributions is the same and many based in others, and understand me.

The fact is that the computer will use to create music with Ardour or Rosegarden + or with the same convinación Qtractor even considering using the I OpenOctave midi, well the thing is, my macbook has a Broadcom BCM wifi ka 43xxx which is not whether directly support the BSD kernel, the other thing is I have a Hercules Console Mk2 which drivers thought installing the binary support of the FC10 (fedora core 10), but do not know if these drivers.

Will work with the BSD kernel or will I have to use another specific driver nor I have very clear (what FreeBSD uses OSS4 and do not press or alsa), if I can make it work well or there will QJackCtl problems in that regard, I have seen a video that puts you in gnome up menus OSx style I want to know which application or applet is that, but that is secondary.

The main thing would be the broadcom wifi, near the Hercules Mk2 console to make it work with Mixxx (if this for FreeBSD) and try to run the HDJCPL (a control panel for Hercules Mk2)
Any suggestions?

MacBook Features
Intel Graphics XGMA-3100
-Wifi Broadcom bcm43xxx
-Intel integrated sound card (but I use the Hercules Mk2 by derecto)
-Monitor 23 "(I use it as a single monitor, I hope I BSD of problems having closed the lid of the laptop to use a USB keyboard and still use the external monitor)

Come to think I have the hd documents EXT4 good would it be migrated to Ext4 on BSD or FreeBSD system can understand the Ext4 file system?

Greetings and thanks.