DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2009
Port Guard

Default Annoying message during install

So I booted up the 4.4 CD, and starting from when it asks me (I)nstall, (U)pgrade or (S)hell, it keeps repeating "pckbcintr: no dev for slot 1" going down the screen randomly. Sometimes it stops, but other times it repeats for like 5-10 lines. But I can still move along with the installation just fine, nonetheless. It just distorts my typing vision because I'm typing something on one line, and suddenly it displays this message repeatedly a few times, and I forget if I made a space after a letter or not. But it still works, except this message is annoying and I don't know what it means.

Also, during the Network Configuration stage, I have to configure manually because I use wireless. So I can do "ifconfig ath0 up" and it works fine (my wireless card starts blinking) but I have WEP enabled and my SSID is set to invisible so it does not broadcoast publicly. So I did "ifconfig ath0 up mode 11g nwid myinvisiblessid nwkey 0xHexKeyHere" (The hex key is 26 characters or something). But it gives me a couple lines of error message, but I forgot to write it down so I'll have to try to install OpenBSD again (I needed internet to post this question so I switched OS on the computer). But I don't see any blinking lights on my wireless card like I did with just "ifconfig ath0 up".
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2009
More noise than signal

1. The error you are constantly seeing has to do with an ISA connected PC/AT keyboard controller. See the pckbc(4) man page for a description. I do not understand the error, but it seems to indicate a keyboard controller problem of some kind. The man page describes two slots, one for keyboard and one for mouse. Perhaps you need to unplug your mouse, or .... plug it in. Since you can type commands and answers to prompts, whatever the problem seems to be does not interfere with your use of your keyboard.
  2. The ath(4) man page shows examples of ifconfig(8) configuration commands. If you've already read it, and seen the examples, and the page doesn't help, you'll need to record the error messages if you want our help with this.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

So for the second problem I tried it after I fully installed OpenBSD first. I logged in as root, and did startx and in the terminal that showed up in the X environment, I typed in "ifconfig ath0 up" just to test it. Everything froze immediately. I could not type anything, I could not move the mouse, and I could not switch the console/terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2/F3,etc. I had to manually shut down by pressing the power button which I hate to do since it messes with the hard drive. I started again and this time I did not go into X, instead I stayed in the raw terminal that shows when you first boot it up and don't do anything. I logged on as root again and did "ifconfig ath0 up" as a test once more, and you know how usually when you type in a command, it kind of looks like this:
Code:
# ifconfig ath0 up
#
And it shows a new line where you can type a command into? Well, it would not show up and it would just hang at the new line without the symbol denoting that you can type in a new command. I could not Ctrl+C it (it would just show the raw command, something like ^C or something) and I could not switch raw terminals with Ctrl+Alt+F2,F3,etc. again. Whatever I typed, it would show, but if I typed a command or something and pressed Enter, nothing happens and it just stays on the same line even though I can type anything, nothing happens. I had to shut down once again with the power button
But both times I did the command, the lights in my wireless card started blinking (even though everything was frozen).

Last edited by JohnHicks; 11th February 2009 at 12:55 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
More noise than signal

Arrow

Recommendations:
  1. Obtain a dmesg. Since you do not have a network connection, you'll have to place the file on external media, per FAQ 4.15. That FAQ doesn't tell you that you can use a USB stick as another method for obtaining it. When you insert a stick it you should see blue kernel messages that tell you which virtual SCSI device it is. If it is formatted for a FAT (windows) filesystem it will automatically be assigned partition "i" on the SCSI device. To obtain your dmesg, just mount it and send the dmesg output to a file you can copy and paste while in another OS. If you're using Windows, make the text file type ".wri" so that the file does not require Microsoft's ancient CR/LF bytes at the end of each line. (You can open it with WordPad, which is included with Windows.)

This example assumes a USB stick formatted FAT is assigned SCSI device #0 (sd0):

# mount -t msdos /dev/sd0i /mnt
    # dmesg > /mnt/dmesg.wri
    # umount /mnt

We may, or may not, see something of value within your dmesg. But it will be required should you wish to formally make a bug report, and may prove valuable here. Hopefully, there will be something in the dmesg (such as a chipset involved with your Atheros-compatible NIC) that leads to a solution.
  2. Hanging systems can be forced to enter the ddb(4) kernel debugger, from which diagnostic data can be obtained. The diagnostic data can sometimes point to the specific problem. This is not recommended for the newbie, unless the newbie is already comfortable with *nix kernel debugging.

Pre-planning is required: One needs sufficient swap space and space in /var. One must set the sysctl "ddb.console" to 1 in advance. Then after the hang, either typing a kernel break sequence or issuing a BREAK from a serial console, then issuing a series of ddb commands to collect backtraces, then forcing a crash dump, then on reboot obtaining a good copy of the dump in /var/crash, then using dmesg(8) to examine the backtraces in the dmesg in the dump, followed by using gdb(1) to diagnose the kernel operations. A custom kernel compilation with symbols is necessary to make the gdb(1) output understandable. Some additional help can be found in crash(8) for gdb(1) use, and FAQ 5 describes kernel build procedures. If you feel comfortable with all this, you will be able to conduct your own diagnosis.

Last edited by jggimi; 11th February 2009 at 04:07 AM. Reason: clarity, typo
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

So I took a dmesg during the OpenBSD install, and also one after I installed. For some reason, the dmesg I took after the install, is in weird characters:

Code:
åøLõzmeV©U©P€Ï™¹„‚¼cP¹,È´ù´R)Ãkbœ\©ZËҝȔ¶3)Ò|wŒ�*�*G‹–OÁÎÊwΛ%ökŵœ6®Üó|+Üï|Õó^qUGO^™0êDmm·ˆPþ¾È £f¬›¤•BcéÈ~\Ê”‰0_¨‹¶î¸ušÚÇB”LdåH“-»“ K‡J¡A;EåykkK®¦üs+AÔ²÷‘¼Ž¢ñ£Œ=pܾµ
ÀÌ)õbš¸ýY4õ„ÿþl.OS碍ù|Q"&GŸ)WîKÎÐøpSê�*
"ez‘)gÉÂÿC�*'æÈ܍#Ëᕲ/idû*Ƙc˜½»‰¤1ÅÅÊðŽ¬7°¨×*+²WQc»Û#œÑßÖÏ!�*ÇsGÄ<ÀŸâ<Kã"]å3wþf'Mu.vô-$/Ðtš@‡EK’>h±Ñ;…ˆ«}öB™k¤e£µ‡z_v¾hèÓ„GJbg?´ÊñLW;ID¶rZ’ƒR<ŽãßR�*Ë!÷RdÏ\f_G’/)cIkêéim
'IÊÞâÜ|–ödqrW¥·ÑVË‹ìõ,.)¥s	¨¬;ÍSœ¹Z
æÇ%ZqÑ1ö9FÓ!š§Zá<[â¶öãõ\Ôö,1	C�*¡V§£r•XÞ^
©øN"¶¦îLp’ïßæ6xë¦fe·(0ößµÇ9}g(P`CqÌHÕ®+¨�*UMnW-×f
7múßÿ³úhr•ª@¨EC‚Æ0#z�*�*ŒÔ}š×P9Ôîì4§r aÕ"+y)¥Uìä8ÒA’‡
•…DBtÚl³–‚ÊùvšJ�*ÓÕS:Ïì¢^Ì�*Ã/bö”¿Ü8®d¢7
Èú`BN¦Uk1/€d \€ÂÀØ:¢±6vO²'ÉÛÇ ç¾'T%"{*ÏÛÑî©R'ê2`‘~w¤Î¢HUJs	(±¿a.,é\`òf_˜	’æܪŽ¤YE¨éº$È*€ñP-¬mÕSâ"yóæ,²Õî3©˜p¥š™‡ñJÉzAb¼ð€§L)ÉÑq÷4Pbï€ÝS·<:ÃIˆ)¨¦eÇ&jªªªªªªªªªªªªÿûâ`
I also tried "ifconfig ath0 up && dmesg > /mnt/dmesg3.wri" but nothing was recorded to dmesg3.wri because the system froze up.

This is the dmesg from during the install:

Code:
OpenBSD 4.4 (RAMDISK_CD) #857: Tue Aug 12 17:31:49 MDT 2008
    deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/RAMDISK_CD
cpu0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 1.71 GHz
cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,TM,SBF,EST,TM2
real mem  = 787902464 (751MB)
avail mem = 754720768 (719MB)
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 08/30/04, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xf0010, SMBIOS rev. 2.3 @ 0xf8440 (49 entries)
bios0: vendor American Megatrends Inc. version "080010" date 08/30/2004
apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
acpi at bios0 function 0x0 not configured
pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 @ 0xf0000/0x10000
pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 @ 0xf4160/176 (9 entries)
pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:31:0 ("Intel 82801DBM LPC" rev 0x00)
pcibios0: PCI bus #2 is the last bus
bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0xcc00! 0xcd000/0x1000 0xce000/0x1000
cpu0 at mainbus0
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (no bios)
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82855GM Host" rev 0x02
"Intel 82855GM Memory" rev 0x02 at pci0 dev 0 function 1 not configured
"Intel 82855GM Config" rev 0x02 at pci0 dev 0 function 3 not configured
vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel 82855GM Video" rev 0x02
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
"Intel 82855GM Video" rev 0x02 at pci0 dev 2 function 1 not configured
uhci0 at pci0 dev 29 function 0 "Intel 82801DB USB" rev 0x03: irq 11
uhci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 1 "Intel 82801DB USB" rev 0x03: irq 5
uhci2 at pci0 dev 29 function 2 "Intel 82801DB USB" rev 0x03: irq 9
ehci0 at pci0 dev 29 function 7 "Intel 82801DB USB" rev 0x03: irq 10
usb0 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub0 at usb0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
ppb0 at pci0 dev 30 function 0 "Intel 82801BAM Hub-to-PCI" rev 0x83
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
cbb0 at pci1 dev 3 function 0 "TI PCI1410 CardBus" rev 0x02: irq 11
"TI TSB43AB22 FireWire" rev 0x00 at pci1 dev 10 function 0 not configured
rl0 at pci1 dev 12 function 0 "Realtek 8139" rev 0x10: irq 5, address 00:03:0e:15:16:6f
rlphy0 at rl0 phy 0: RTL internal PHY
cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 2 device 0 cacheline 0x0, lattimer 0x20
pcmcia0 at cardslot0
ichpcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0 "Intel 82801DBM LPC" rev 0x03: 24-bit timer at 3579545Hz
pciide0 at pci0 dev 31 function 1 "Intel 82801DBM IDE" rev 0x03: DMA, channel 0 configured to compatibility, channel 1 configured to compatibility
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <SAMSUNG MP0402H>
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA48, 38204MB, 78242976 sectors
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 5
atapiscsi0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0
scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets, initiator 7
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <Slimtype, COMBO LSC-24082K, JKU5> ATAPI 5/cdrom removable
cd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
"Intel 82801DB SMBus" rev 0x03 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 not configured
"Intel 82801DB AC97" rev 0x03 at pci0 dev 31 function 5 not configured
"Intel 82801DB Modem" rev 0x03 at pci0 dev 31 function 6 not configured
usb1 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub1 at usb1 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
usb2 at uhci1: USB revision 1.0
uhub2 at usb2 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
usb3 at uhci2: USB revision 1.0
uhub3 at usb3 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
isa0 at ichpcib0
isadma0 at isa0
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
biomask fffd netmask fffd ttymask ffff
rd0: fixed, 3800 blocks
ath0 at cardbus0 dev 0 function 0 "Atheros AR5413" rev 0x01: irq 11
ath0: AR5413 10.5 phy 6.1 rf 6.3, FCC1A, address 00:16:bf:5b:4f:34
uhidev0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse" rev 2.00/18.00 addr 2
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
uhid at uhidev0 not configured
softraid0 at root
root on rd0a swap on rd0b dump on rd0b
umass0 at uhub0 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "Prolific Technology Inc. Mass Storage Device" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd0 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <CSD CAT0, 20H, > SCSI0 0/direct fixed
sd0: 19470MB, 2482 cyl, 255 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 39876480 sec total
pckbcintr: no dev for slot 1
uhidev0 detached
uhidev0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse" rev 2.00/18.00 addr 2
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
uhid at uhidev0 not configured
ar5k_ar5212_nic_wakeup: failed to resume the AR5212 (again)
ath0: unable to reset hardware; hal status 3223349734

Last edited by JohnHicks; 11th February 2009 at 04:26 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
Banned

Can you try disabling apm?.. or can you try booting a 4.5-BETA snapshot kernel?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Can you try disabling apm?.. or can you try booting a 4.5-BETA snapshot kernel?
What is apm? I'd prefer to use something stable, so I think I'll wait for the 4.5 release if no solutions work for me at this time
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
More noise than signal

Your ramdisk-kernel dmesg tells me several things:
  • You're using the i386 architecture -- this wasn't mentioned before, though I knew you were using one of the archs available on CD.
  • The BIOS on your PC is from 2004.
  • You have 768MB of RAM and an Intel CPU.
  • Your PC hardware supports either APM for power or ACPI for power and hardware management. More on this below.
  • Your wireless NIC is connected via Cardbus, and uses the AR5413 chipset.
Your bad dmesg from the installed system is disconcerting, as it points to a memory overlay. Check the contents of /var/run/dmesg.boot, and see if you can find a valid dmesg in that file. It is created by rc(8) shortly after the system boots into multi-user mode.

Support for your AR5413 chipset was added to OpenBSD in 2006. There have been no bug reports (or complaints on the misc@ mailing list) for the software supporting the chipset, and there have been no patches to the chipset driver in six months.

--------------------------

APM = "Advanced Power Management"
ACPI = "Advanced Configuration and Power Management"

APM is an an older, and a better-followed standard by hardware manufacturers. It is used to manage power consumption. ACPI is newer, has significantly more capabilities and functionality, but has varying interpretations by hardware manufacturers.

• Some PCs only have hardware for APM, some only have hardware for ACPI. Due to the weak-standards-interpretation of ACPI, the default OpenBSD kernels will use APM and not use ACPI if the hardware has both.
  • Sometimes, proper operation of an individual PC requires ACPI be enabled and used.
  • Sometimes, proper operation of an individual PC requires that ACPI be disabled.
In your case, we would like to see if enabling ACPI (by disabling APM) solves one or more of your problems.

To disable APM in the kernel:

At the boot> prompt, type:

boot> -c

This will boot the /bsd kernel, but bring up the User Kernel Configurator before the kernel does much hardware probing. At the UKC> prompts, type:

UKC> disable apm
UKC> quit

You should see a somewhat different dmesg, due to ACPI being used. Let us know if your keyboard controller problem, dmesg(8) output, or ifconfig behavior changes. If things change for the positive, you can make the change permanent by using the config(8) tool, e.g.:

# config -euf /bsd
UKC> quit

Last edited by jggimi; 11th February 2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: clarity
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

So I almost forgot I can still connect to the internet by direct line to my router which I did after I installed OpenBSD and I'm on it right now.

When I try any ifconfig ath0 command, it says "ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: Device not configured" every time. (ifconfig ath0 up, ifconfig ath0 nwid myssid nwkey 0xhexkey, etc.)

I attached the dmesg because I don't know how to copy paste from the file. But this time dmesg > /mnt/dmesg command worked
Attached Files
File Type: conf dmesgf.conf (9.9 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by JohnHicks; 11th February 2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11th February 2009
Banned

The Cardbus/PCMCIA device isn't detected after you enable ACPI, this is indicated in the dmesg output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmesgf.conf
cbb0 at pci1 dev 3 function 0 "TI PCI1410 CardBus" rev 0x02: irq 3, CardBus support disabled
At this point, I'm not sure what else we can recommend.. you do have have an Ethernet controller available, rl0.

Can you try removing the card and inserting it again? not sure if it will pickup on such an event or not.. If this was one of my own systems, I'd take a look at the BIOS configuration. (Or update it, for that matter.)

You can test a 4.5-BETA kernel, at least you would be able to determine if things have improved since the 4.4-RELEASE in November.

As a side note, patience really is a virtue in the Unix work..
Old 11th February 2009
Banned

Note; I have one more recommendation... try booting the bsd.mp kernel, at least in 4.4 it offers slightly different interrupt routing support. (APIC/ioapic)

So, download it from a mirror.. move it into /, ensure it's owned by root:wheel.. with the permissions 0644.
# mv bsd.mp /bsd.mp
# chown root:wheel /bsd.mp
# chmod 0644 /bsd.mp
The boot instructions were posted by jggimi above:
boot> boot bsd.mp -c
UKC> disable apm
UKC> quit

Hope it helps.

Last edited by BSDfan666; 11th February 2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

I'm using rl0 to connect to the internet right now on OpenBSD.

But wouldn't you know it, I unplugged my wireless card and put it back in, and I could not do anything! Everything was frozen once again.

I'll try the bsd.mp suggestion right now. (bsd.mp from ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.4/i386)

Okay that didn't work either
Still same error message as before

Last edited by JohnHicks; 11th February 2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11th February 2009
Banned

Can you try bsd.mp without disabling apm?.. or disabling it if you forgot.

Also, can you post the dmesg of both?

If you're feeling brave, can you go into the BIOS configuration panel and look for an option similar to "Plug and Play OS?", set that to "No".
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

There's nothing in the BIOS like that, I'm afraid

But I'll reboot again and get the dmesg of when apm is left enabled (I'm on bsd.mp disabled right now, so I'm attaching the dmesg file
Attached Files
File Type: conf dmesgdis.conf (9.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

Here is the dmesg with apm left enabled (still boot into bsd.mp)
Attached Files
File Type: conf dmesgen.conf (13.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 11th February 2009
More noise than signal

It's hard to keep things straight, as there are 3 dmesgs attached since I posted.

In post #9, this is a uniprocessor kernel (/bsd), with ACPI enabled, where the "cardbus bus" (cbb0) fails to enable.

In post #14, this is the same kernel, with APM enabled, and where cbb0 uses IRQ 11.

Post #15 has the same kernel and probe as #14, with APM enabled, etc.

I haven't seen a GENERIC.MP (/bsd.mp) dmesg, yet.

I'm going to look at these (effectively) two dmesgs and see if I can see why cbb0 fails to come up when ACPI is enabled.
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

Maybe I did something wrong...I followed the instructions BSDfan666 gave above
I downloaded bsd.mp from the mirror link I posted above (main one in Canada), put it into / (I just copied the command) and did the chown and chmod (once again just copy-pasted commands) then I rebooted and at boot> I typed in boot bsd.mp -c then in UKC> I did disable apm then quit like I did before. Then when it booted into it, I did dmesg > dmesgdis to paste the current dmesg into the file.
Old 11th February 2009
More noise than signal

I believe you, but *something* is wrong.

As root, try issuing:

# config -ef /bsd.mp

This will display the top lines of the kernel, that we see in dmesg output, then drop into the UKC. Does it show GENERIC or GENERIC.MP? If the former, perhaps you grabbed the wrong remote file. If the latter, there's no obvious explanation.

At the UKC> prompt, you can just type "quit".
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

# config -ef /bsd.mp
OpenBSD 4.4 (GENERIC.MP) #844: Tue Aug 12 17:24:39 MDT 2008
deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sy...ile/GENERIC.MP
Enter 'help' for information
ukc> quit
Kernel not modified
Old 11th February 2009
More noise than signal

This confirms you have the correct file.

All I can think is that one of two things happened. Either you did not boot this particular OS, or you saved the dmesg under a different name. I'm going to guess the latter, but you can check:

You can confirm you are running that kernel by watching the dmesg as it scrolls by (if you use -c, it will stop for UKC> and you can inspect it without having to be a speed reader), or, you can confirm it after logging in with:

$ sysctl kern.version