DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2010
Administrator

Default NTFS enabled by default in -current

Given a number of disparaging comments made about OpenBSD's NTFS support of late, the following commit caused me to chuckle:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=128396194505847&w=2

I have noticed in the last few weeks a number of commits made related to NTFS. Maybe its day has arrived.

Currently in -release & -stable, users have to manually enable NTFS support within GENERIC followed by recompiling the kernel. What the commit above does is enable support without need of recompiling.

This is a typical practice by OpenBSD's developers. Several new features under development may already be present in any given release, but not enabled because sufficient stability has not been attained.

Note to those salivating: this is work done in 4.8-current meaning that whatever refinements are taking place now will not be available in November's official release of OpenBSD 4.8-release. Work taking place now will be publicly available in May 2011's release of OpenBSD 4.9-release.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2010
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Work taking place now will be publicly available in May 2011's release of OpenBSD 4.9-release.
Don't want to nitpick, but the work is of course publicly available, but only as untested and more or less unsupported snapshots.
If you want a proper release, you will have to wait for 4.9 ...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
...and more or less unsupported snapshots.
Actually, the developers are quite interested in the behavior exhibited by snapshots.

However, the reason I downplayed -current in my original messsage was due to the information found in a poll conducted some time back:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=3518

...as most of our OpenBSD readership runs -release or -stable.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2010
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
most of our OpenBSD readership runs -release or -stable.
Being a follower of -current, I would've never guessed that (being ego-centric, I suppose).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357 View Post
Being a follower of -current, I would've never guessed that (being ego-centric, I suppose).
It is not a guess We had a pool sometime ago about it. I am sorry it has been a while so I can not provide you with the link but you could look around.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
It is not a guess We had a pool sometime ago about it. I am sorry it has been a while so I can not provide you with the link but you could look around.
I already have.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2010
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Yeah I saw the link...(thanks ocicat)...I just figured most people running OpenBSD would be running -stable or -current, but -release is a bit of a surprise. Every time I upgrade to a new snapshot/build it's like christmas to me...I guess I figured other people would feel the same haha =)