DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2016
Package Pilot

Default gnome is very slow

Gnome windows manager is very slow. It has been from the very beginning. I am just getting around to try to address it.

All actions are a few seconds behind before keyboard input.

For example:

When I use the windows key to enter information in the search box, it is up to a few seconds behind. Graphics intensive web pages are slow, to render, and to scroll up and down. Video playback skips.

I am not certain if this an X issue or video driver. How could I begin to diagnose this problem?

Last edited by jjstorm; 21st March 2016 at 07:49 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2016
Arp Constable

Quote:
I am not certain if this an X issue or video driver. How could I begin to diagnose this problem?
My suspicion would be that it is the Gnome Desktop Environment rather than the video driver/X-windows. Gnome needs video capable of 3D acceleration.
How did X run with fvwm or twm? Both fvwm and twm are in the base install, nothing else needs to be installed in order to test.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2016
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
My suspicion would be that it is the Gnome Desktop Environment rather than the video driver/X-windows. Gnome needs video capable of 3D acceleration.
How did X run with fvwm or twm? Both fvwm and twm are in the base install, nothing else needs to be installed in order to test.
Prior to installing gnome, I did used fvwm for a couple of days, and it appeared to be running O.K. Definitely did not have these lag issues.

Is there anything to tweak then or should I just switch Windows Managers? Maybe I could try kde?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2016
Arp Constable

You have alot of choices. My bias is that of the full featured Desktop Environments, Xfce4 runs the best on the BSD's. One of the Xfce4 developers is well placed in the OpenBSD ecosystem.

Xfce4 also does not need video with 3D acceleration.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2016
More noise than signal

First: 3D acceleration is a drop-dead requirement for Gnome. So video settings are unlikely to be a root cause of the performance problem.

I went looking for a recentlly posted dmesg from you, and found this. You posted a dmesg from a uniprocessor kernel. Your Core i3 processor has two cores, and can run 4 threads (appear to have 4 CPUs).

Try booting the GENERIC.MP kernel. The GENERIC kernel will only use one core.

Edited to add:

At install time, if more than a single CPU is found, the bsd.mp (GENERIC.MP) kernel is installed as /bsd and the bsd (GENERIC) kernel is installed as /bsd.sp.

Last edited by jggimi; 21st March 2016 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added kernel file names, clarity
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2016
More noise than signal

Ah. You were hand-building -stable, and missed the discussion of GENERIC.MP in FAQ 5. Build and install the GENERIC.MP kernel.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2016
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
First: 3D acceleration is a drop-dead requirement for Gnome. So video settings are unlikely to be a root cause of the performance problem.

I went looking for a recentlly posted dmesg from you, and found this. You posted a dmesg from a uniprocessor kernel. Your Core i3 processor has two cores, and can run 4 threads (appear to have 4 CPUs).

Try booting the GENERIC.MP kernel. The GENERIC kernel will only use one core.

Edited to add:

At install time, if more than a single CPU is found, the bsd.mp (GENERIC.MP) kernel is installed as /bsd and the bsd (GENERIC) kernel is installed as /bsd.sp.
I checked / and all I see is bsd and bsd.rd. However, I remember during the install, I un "x"ed the GENERIC.MP, <-(I think that was the name) because I had read in the faq that you need this only if you have more than one processor. I did not realize that openbsd sees 4 processors. I do remember the dmesg where the processor shows up 4 times. If this is the case, could I just stick the install CD in and install it?

Last edited by jjstorm; 21st March 2016 at 07:25 PM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2016
Arp Constable

Jggimi mentioned you built a custom kernel which would mean that you have the kernel source code. You can just repeat the process for GENERIC.MP in /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/conf. I would take this route particulary if you have applied patches for your release.

Another option is download bsd.mp, from and ftp site, to your root directory. Reboot and when prompted select bsd.mp to test. If it works then rename /bsd to /bsd.sp and /bsd.mp to /bsd.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2016
ISO Quartermaster

There are commands for checking OpenGL acceleration:
Code:
vblank_mode=0 glxgears & sleep 16 ; pkill glxgears
glxinfo | grep -i -e direct -e opengl | grep -i -e direct -e string
but I don't remember which package provides this commands.
You can also check:
Code:
sysctl machdep.allowaperture
I also figured out that I need read and write access to /dev/drm* files for user, which is running session.

I personally use Openbox window manager with compton compositor. Both are in ports and packages.
Modern Gnome is quite fussy/finicky (Google translated this word) in acceleration because not only requires acceleration (by OpenGL or OpenGL ES, I don't know which of them is required), but on Gnu/Linux also requires EGL and not supports GLX. I don't know if Gnome on OpenBSD needs EGL, but I guess yes.
EGL in Gnome is part of process of porting to Wayland, but even in Gnu/Linux distributions this process taken long time and not completed yet, so I don't expect Wayland in OpenBSD anytime soon (unfortunately).

Last edited by e1-531g; 21st March 2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 21st March 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstorm View Post
... I did not realize that openbsd sees 4 processors....
CPU is an acronym for Central Processing Unit. A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, the vast majority of computers had only one of these. Systems with more than a single CPU were called multiprocesors. The companies that made them would more often sell configurations with only a single CPU, and the market called those far more common single-CPU variants uniprocessors.

When manufactures began to market multiprocessor systems-on-a-chip, the industry began to use the term "core" to count the CPUs on the same chip. Your computer has two CPUs on one chip, as it is an Intel Core i3 4030U.

Compounding this, Intel deploys virtual CPUs, which they market as "Hyper-Threading Technology." Your computer has two physical CPUs, but will present 4 CPUs to the OS when Hyper-Threading is enabled.

---

OpenBSD has two standard kernels: GENERIC and, on architectures where multiprocessors are supported, GENERIC.MP. The GENERIC kernel will only ever manage a single CPU: cpu0.
Old 21st March 2016
Package Pilot

Quote:
CPU is an acronym for Central Processing Unit. A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, the vast majority of computers had only one of these. Systems with more than a single CPU were called multiprocesors. The companies that made them would more often sell configurations with only a single CPU, and the market called those far more common single-CPU variants uniprocessors.

When manufactures began to market multiprocessor systems-on-a-chip, the industry began to use the term "core" to count the CPUs on the same chip. Your computer has two CPUs on one chip, as it is an Intel Core i3 4030U.

Compounding this, Intel deploys virtual CPUs, which they market as "Hyper-Threading Technology." Your computer has two physical CPUs, but will present 4 CPUs to the OS when Hyper-Threading is enabled.

UPDATE:

I just checked the specs for my processor on intel's site and it does have 3D support. Not sure if this is the same as 3D acceleration.

---

OpenBSD has two standard kernels: GENERIC and, on architectures where multiprocessors are supported, GENERIC.MP. The GENERIC kernel will only ever manage a single CPU: cpu0.
Where I was confused is, where I thought GENERIC.MP to be for 2 physically separate CPUs, as in motherboards that have 2 separate sockets for 2 CPUs. Obviously I was wrong, and this is probably the problem. Live and learn I guess. I will try to fix this as soon as possible and report back.

Last edited by jjstorm; 21st March 2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 21st March 2016
Package Pilot

Quote:
Ah. You were hand-building -stable, and missed the discussion of GENERIC.MP in FAQ 5. Build and install the GENERIC.MP kernel.
I am not sure what you mean by hand building? I have used anoncvs to download the source code for -stable and then followed the instructions on faq 5 to build the kernel and the user land. I have also done the same with xenocara.
Old 21st March 2016
Arp Constable

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by hand building?
Building your own kernel vs using one built by the project.
Old 21st March 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstorm View Post
I am not sure what you mean by hand building?
Not using M:Tier's services. https://stable.mtier.org
Quote:
I have also done the same with xenocara.
To my knowledge, there were no 5.8-stable updates to the xenocara tree.
Old 21st March 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
The Project doesn't build -stable; the Project members (and other staff) at M:Tier do.
Old 21st March 2016
ISO Quartermaster

It seems like glxgears(1) and glxinfo(1) are part of Xenocara:
code:
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cv.../app/glxgears/
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cv...a/app/glxinfo/
manual pages:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...th=OpenBSD-5.8
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...th=OpenBSD-5.8
Can you provide stdout (output) of commands in my post:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=9730#post58386
line with glxgears should terminate after 16 seconds automatically without manual intervention.
Old 21st March 2016
Package Pilot

Quote:
Every time you update your source tree from anoncvs, don't you have to recompile the kernel and the user land, as outlined in sections of the faq, 5.2.4. and 5.2.5 respectively?

Last edited by jjstorm; 22nd March 2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 21st March 2016
More noise than signal

Only if the working directory receives changes from the repository.

Consider the value of cvs -q. If you use $ cvs -q up -Pd, you will more clearly see any changes applied.
Old 21st March 2016
Arp Constable

Quote:
Once you update your source tree with anoncvs, don't you have to recompile the kernel and the userland?
The full answer is complex and takes on different aspects depending on the users needs and prior choices.

I run my main system on the latest release with security patches I apply myself and M:tier package updates. So, for the latest ipv6 patch, I compiled my own kernels (both *.mp and *.sp) Other patches entail rebuilding part of the userland.

I also run a current system and never compile anything, I just use snapshot binaries.

Your goals in OpenBSD (release, stable, current) actually will help guide the advice you get.
Old 21st March 2016
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1-531g View Post
Can you provide stdout (output) of commands in my post:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=9730#post58386
line with glxgears should terminate after 16 seconds automatically without manual intervention.
Code:

# vblank_mode=0 glxgears & sleep 16 ; pkill glxgears
glxinfo | grep -i -e direct -e opengl | grep -i -e direct -e string

[1] 25162
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
10095 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2018.891 FPS
10748 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2149.481 FPS
10732 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2146.320 FPS
When I entered the above command, a dialogue box with rolling gears popped up on the screen, and stayed there for a few seconds.

Code:

# sysctl machdep.allowaperture
machdep.allowaperture=0
[1] + Terminated           vblank_mode=0 glxgears
from your other post:

Quote:

I also figured out that I need read and write access to /dev/drm* files for user, which is running session.

I personally use Openbox window manager with compton compositor. Both are in ports and packages.
Modern Gnome is quite fussy/finicky (Google translated this word) in acceleration because not only requires acceleration (by OpenGL or OpenGL ES, I don't know which of them is required), but on Gnu/Linux also requires EGL and not supports GLX. I don't know if Gnome on OpenBSD needs EGL, but I guess yes.
EGL in Gnome is part of process of porting to Wayland, but even in Gnu/Linux distributions this process taken long time and not completed yet, so I don't expect Wayland in OpenBSD anytime soon (unfortunately).
the intel spec page, under graphics specifications for my processor shows that OpenGL is supported, as well as 3D technology

Last edited by jjstorm; 22nd March 2016 at 12:01 AM.