DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Programming

Programming C, bash, Python, Perl, PHP, Java, you name it.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2008
Arp Constable

Default What's your relashionship with C#?

Well, I think after having this thread, it is only fair to have this one. So I will ask the same question for this language:

What's your relashionship with C#?

Love to hear your comments, experience with C#, its's pro's and con's ... almost anything except flaming.

----

My personal experience, has only been a 'groaning' whenever Gnome pulls in gtk# and associated stuff as dependencies.

Never bothered to learn it either, since I've never seen much purpose to it after having already picked up Java, unless someday, by some blind cursed twist of fate, I end up in .NET land lol. Yes, you could say I consider C Sharp to be the MS+CLI equivelent of Suns Java, which ain't exactly my favorite language in of itself.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Feel the same. Have no use for it whatsoever.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

We're just good friends and that incident with the sheep was totally blown out of proportion by the media.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

My next door neighbor claims he is an uber programmer in it, but his yard looks like you could tee up on it and he OCD's about the dandelions in my yard.

*sigh*
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2008
Banned

I have no relationship at all with it, in fact, I demand a restraining order now!
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
We're just good friends and that incident with the sheep was totally blown out of proportion by the media.

I've been forced to learn it for my day job.

I don't like the .NET part of the language as in all the bloat that you have to install. But I like the language syntax and construction. So in all we have an amicable relationship but at times it gets on my nerves. kind of like a long marriage.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

As a veteran C and Perl programmer, I'm just beginning with C# and mono over the past few days. Despite a few bugs cropping up in monodevelop (including one where it crashes and loses changes... ugh) I'm actually rather liking the language itself. Once I become more familiar with the classes available, I think it will be a rather powerful tool. It seems to lack the annoying little quirks that kept me away from Java and C++, so if the performance turns out to be vastly superior to that of a Perl or Ruby script, it may end up becoming a language I use an awful lot.

I certainly hope to see more FreeBSD & mono love in the future. Novell is pretty invested in their [SuSE] Linux, so it'll likely fall to us in the BSD community to make the best stuff happen.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I'm awfully suspicious of any language that requires me to install a framework (Mono) to work. I understand C# may be nice but that's just no right. It also bothers me that Mono is, essentially, a framework for a different operating system, so it's all just a little strange.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
I'm awfully suspicious of any language that requires me to install a framework (Mono) to work. I understand C# may be nice but that's just no right. It also bothers me that Mono is, essentially, a framework for a different operating system, so it's all just a little strange.
Well, lots of languages require you to install a "framework" to work. In this case, mono is a suite including a compiler (just like GCC is for C), a set of libraries (like libc and other standard system libraries for C), and a virtual machine (OK, this is a bit different than C, but it's the same as, say, Java or Perl6). So it is, in fact, not dissimilar from other languages that have existed for a very long time. You need a compiler, libraries, and a VM. You don't need an interpreter, such as would be needed for ruby, python, et al.

As far as mono being a framework for a different operating system, I'd have to disagree. While Novell has strong ties to Linux due to their ownership of SuSE, Mono works just fine on FreeBSD, and there's a bsd-sharp development group which seems to be formally sanctioned by Novell. A lot of other open source projects are primarily developed on Linux, too, so it's nothing we aren't used to. This is why the ports system has support for lots and lots of patches per port.

In addition to Mono, there's also the DotGNU suite, though I'm not at all familiar with it personally. Might be worth looking into if you want to experiment with .NET development in C# on FreeBSD without using Mono, however.