DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2009
New User

Default Uncompatable BSD programs and drivers

I wasn't sure which would be the most appropriate forum for this question, so I just decided to put it in BSD general. Please feel free to move it if there would be a better place for this thread.

I wanted to try BSD, but after a little but of research comparing linux to BSD. From what I found, BSD is generally faster than linux, and a few other pros, but cons I found include BSD needing to use linux emulation for certain programs which is sometimes and usually unstable.

I am a desktop user, I would like to use enlightenment, firefox (unless i find a lightweight browser i like AND gives me great performance), flash player, webcam (the one build into the dell mini 9's), wireless (Broadcom BCM4312 built in wireless), amsn, pidgin, cheese, evolution (or thunderbird, or possibly a more lightweight alternative), and rhythmbox. If any of these programs (or dirvers) aren't natively available for BSD , please let me know.

Also, what programs are NOT natively available for BSD? I would like to know before I make the switch so Im not surprised when something doesnt work like I expected.

Thanks