DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd November 2010
Arp Constable

Default porting Firefox 3.5.15 to OpenBSD 4.8

I'm interested in trying to build firefox 3.5.15 on a just installed 4.8 amd64 system.

I am familiar with basic compiling and Slackware build scripts but the OpenBSD system looks to be more complex.

I'm thinking about renaming the firefox35 port to a backup and reconstructing an updated port using the cvs makefile, patches, files etc and using pkg_create. Although there has been mention of reviving binary updates I have yet to find any so I am assuming you need to compile

I found http://www.openbsd101.com/updating.html#u6. It looks like I would need to update the base system then proceed with ports. At this time there are no patches for 4.8 so a full cvs update doesn't seem necessary - do I need maintain the same revision?

Is this a good approach? Any pointers appreciated

Last edited by shep; 3rd November 2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added openbsd101 link
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd November 2010
More noise than signal

I recommend you use FAQ 5 and FAQ 15 rather than a 3rd party "how to" document.

As is typical with such things, not all environments and situations are covered in the one you reference. In particular, cvsup is only for i386 architectures, and won't work for you.

FAQ 15 section 3 is all about working with ports.

In general, start with a -stable ports tree (yes, firefox35 has a -stable update in it), as described in FAQ 5.3.3, then update just www/firefox35 to -current, and begin building. You may find "make install" is all you need, but you should anticipate running into problems with dependencies

If you have never used the ports tree before, start by practicing with some other, simple ports, until you get the hang of building packages.

Or wait for a -stable update to firefox35 for the version you desire.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd November 2010
Banned

While indeed backporting newer versions of Firefox is tempting, it is not something that should be done by a novice.. you will run into dependency issues eventually, and if you're unwilling to resolve them yourself you'll be unable to continue.

If bleeding edge packages are your primary concern, consider following snapshots as an alternative.. binary packages are made available on several mirrors.

One major problem with this is eventually packages will not work for an older snapshot, usually this happens when base libraries are bumped (..API/ABI change in libc) and you'll need to upgrade/reinstall a newer snapshot.

A lot of this is in the FAQ, and you can decide what more fits your usage requirements.. if maintaining stable backports is something you wish to do, then that is your prerogative.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd November 2010
Arp Constable

I took a crack at it and did accomplish an update of the 4_8 patch branch with the following out of date ports
Quote:
archivers/bzip2 # 1.0.5 -> 1.0.6
archivers/gtar # bzip2-1.0.5 -> bzip2-1.0.6
archivers/libarchive # bzip2-1.0.5 -> bzip2-1.0.6
converters/rpm2cpio # bzip2-1.0.5 -> bzip2-1.0.6
devel/libgsf,-main # bzip2-1.0.5 -> bzip2-1.0.6
editors/openoffice3,-main # -> gperf-3.0.4
graphics/ImageMagick # bzip2-1.0.5,ghostscript-8.63p13 -> bzip2-1.0.6,ghostscript-8.63p14
graphics/evince,-main # ghostscript-8.63p13,poppler-0.12.4 -> ghostscript-8.63p14,poppler-0.12.4p0
graphics/ffmpeg # bzip2-1.0.5 -> bzip2-1.0.6
graphics/gimp/stable # poppler-0.12.4 -> poppler-0.12.4p0
graphics/inkscape # poppler-0.12.4 -> poppler-0.12.4p0
lang/python/2.5,-main # bzip2-1.0.5 -> bzip2-1.0.6
multimedia/gstreamer-0.10/plugins-good,-main # bzip2-1.0.5 -> bzip2-1.0.6
net/wget # 1.12p0 -> 1.12p1
print/foomatic-filters # ghostscript-8.63p13 -> ghostscript-8.63p14
print/ghostscript/gnu # 8.63p13 -> 8.63p14
print/libspectre # ghostscript-8.63p13 -> ghostscript-8.63p14
print/poppler,-main # 0.12.4 -> 0.12.4p0
print/transfig # ghostscript-8.63p13 -> ghostscript-8.63p14
x11/gnome/vfs2,-main # bzip2-1.0.5 -> bzip2-1.0.6
Some I do recognize as having security issues that were addressed at the NetBSD, FreeBSD and Slackware sites. So the next question is how to sort through this. Is there a way to give a command like in FreeBSD to crank through the lot of them or do you do it manually using 'make update' starting in bzip2 and those packages that depend on bzip2?

Also I notice that the Firefox35 update has not made it yet into the patch branch. If there is a single command to do the lot of them I will probably hold off until the firefox35 update shows up - how long does it typically take?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd November 2010
Administrator

Hijacked discussion moved to its own thread.

When you have the urge to change topics within a thread, please create a new thread. Hijacking is so uncool.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd November 2010
Arp Constable

Sorry, it was not my intent to hijack the thread and actually the original post was on "Firefox and stable ports" and the link you posted in your reply actually pointed to the Makefile that I understand was tagged with Revision 1.40.2.1.

Quote:
Basically correct. Sometimes, updates are pushed down to the -stable & even the -release branches. You can determine if updates have been pushed down to these branches by looking at the CVS tree. As an example for Firefox 3.5 (Firefox 3.6 is currently unavailable due to the impending release of OpenBSD 4.8...), the project's Web interface for the ports tree shows that the Makefile was updated a few days ago:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...www/firefox35/

Clicking the link for "Makefile" shows the individual check-ins & more importantly for this discussion, the CVS tags. Note that Revision 1.40.2.1 has the tagname OPENBSD_4_8. This is the tag associated with the -stable branch. If additional updates are pushed to -stable, this tag will move to a newer revision.
My goal is still to update firefox35 for the 4_8 patch branch and I basically posted my out of date ports to show that I had followed FAQ's 5 and 15 successfully.
Quote:
If you have never used the ports tree before, start by practicing with some other, simple ports, until you get the hang of building packages.
I was looking at the next step and as suggested by Jggimi, I asked about the process of updating a more simple port and also about the time line for the firefox35 update to show up.

I appreciate trying to make searches more efficient but the new thread is still about updating firefox35 while staying in stable/patch branch. Just because I responded to some advice to used a less complex port does that make it an uncool hijack of a thread?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
My goal is still to update firefox35 for the 4_8 patch branch...
Yes, this is why your change in discussion topic warranted splitting the thread.
  • The original poster was asking whether a -stable port of Firefox could be run on -release.
  • Your thread asked how to build Firefox 3.5 on OpenBSD 4.8.
Yes, the thread titles might be the same, but that is where the similarity ends. I am the one bringing up Firefox 3.5 only as an example to explain how to mine CVS for the answer asked -- "How do I determine if a newer version of Firefox is available for -stable?". The OP is most likely interested in Firefox 3.6 or newer versions as he specifically expressed concern over taking advantage of recent security updates.

Your question, while valid, went in a different direction & most likely discussion was going to continue to diverge from that of the OP. If discussion were to get further mired into building details, the OP might give up thinking everything is way too complicated, where building was not really part of his question at this point.

Yes, my decision was based in part on where I anticipated discussion was likely to go, & I wanted to minimize any growing confusion already taking place. Perhaps you (or others) don't agree with my action. That's fine. Let us then agree to disagree.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2010
Arp Constable

I am always impressed with how quickly the daemonformums administrators/moderators respond to posts and realize that they read and process large quantities of text on a daily basis. Again, I appreciate your efforts and will restate it was not my intent to hijack the thread.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2010
More noise than signal

Quote:
...Is there a way to give a command like in FreeBSD to crank through the lot of them...?
You have already discovered out-of-date, which produces the report you posted. That report can be used to create a personal SUBDIR makefile, placed in the top of the ports tree, and used to generate your packages. You can either automate the process with a tool like sed(1) or edit the report manually. See any of the Makefiles in any of the ports tree "branches", such as www/Makefile or languages/Makefile to see the format of the SUBDIR += statement and the necessary .include file in the last line. And regarding backports:
Quote:
...How long does it typically take?
Either "as long as it takes" or "it depends", depending on the maintener(s) availability and interest level. Porting is a volunteer effort. Every port that has a single maintainer will have a $MAINTAINER variable in the Makefile. That contains their Email address. If a group maintains the port, there will be no $MAINTAINER variable, and your only path to annoying them will be the ports@ mailing list. "make show=MAINTAINER" will echo either appropriately.

As I see it, you have four choices:

a) While waiting, attempt to backport the -current port yourself. If you are successful, you can contact $MAINTAINER and let him, her, or they know you've got a working backport, and ask them to review what you have done and make recommendations and corrections so that your work can be commited to the patch branch.

b) Send an Email to $MAINTAINER and demand they drop whatever they are doing and get this done, because for you, it is the most critical thing in the world.

c) Wait patiently, in the hopes that $MAINTAINER will get around to it before the next set of security fixes for Firefox are published.

d) Use the version of FF available to you, and don't worry be happy.

----

I recommend a,c, or d. Option b is considered rude.