DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2015
Spam Deminer

Default connecting servers via wireless

Well there has been an interesting development.

I am putting together a server of sorts, from old parts. An old Pentium III motherboard with 256MB of RAM and some PATA disks - it will probably be a RAID5 NFS server of sorts (that's the plan anyway - time permitting).

I need to get a wifi adaptor for this and had resolved to buy another PCI card with an Atheros AR9227 chipset. Then I remembered the USB device, plugged in, loaded firmware - working...

This device still does not work on my main system, but it works without complaint on this ancient system. I will look into this further and post more info and also the dmesg for the working system.

I suppose delaying the firmware loading would not be as big an issue on an older and slower system?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
...it will probably be a RAID5 NFS server of sorts (that's the plan anyway - time permitting).....I need to get a wifi adaptor for this...
We interrupt this discussion for a very important message. I'm going to quote from Michael W. Lucas -- specifically, from Networking for Systems Administrators.
Quote:
Try very, very hard not to to connect servers to the local network via wireless. (No, try harder than that.) Wireless is very prone to datalink layer errors and interference, and can be overloaded by forces beyond your control or even your awareness.
Please use wired Ethernet. You will not enjoy the experience of serving NFS via radio.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2015
Spam Deminer

I know, but I don't have that option/luxury (or I wouldn't use wifi at all or struggle with wifi adapters).

//edit: I should add that this is not in a production environment.

Last edited by blackhole; 6th July 2015 at 11:43 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2015
More noise than signal

If you must do this ... don't. (Sigh.)

Consider using a wired, commercial Access Point (a bridge between wired and wireless Ethernet) rather than any sort of USB dongle designed for workstations. An external AP device should have one or more external antennas and a maximum output wattage which may improve datalink connectivity. It won't eliminate errors and their resulting problems, but it should produce better results. Your odds of being able to get a client to read and write any files will be significantly greater then if you try to use a USB dongle on your server.

An external AP won't make NFS function well. But it might make NFS functional.

--

Additionally, be sure to test NFS over TCP as well as over UDP. Since you will have continuous errors, timeouts, and retransmissions, you may obtain better results moving retry operations into the network protocol stack.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2015
Spam Deminer

Thanks for the advice, point taken. I will consider other options.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2015
Administrator

Discussion on connecting servers to a home network through a wireless interface has been separated from its parent thread:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=7927

...because that thread's topic centered on an athn-ar9271 chipset which appeared to be incompatible with the athn(4) driver.

We ask members to honor the intent of the initial post in any thread, & stay on the topic instigated there. Digressions are fine, but spawn a new thread when doing so. We have members here who are at all levels of comprehension. We also have members here whose primary language is not English. To help the understanding of discussions by all, please limit threads to a single topic. It also helps searches by later readers.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
We ask members to honor the intent of the initial post in any thread, & stay on the topic instigated there. Digressions are fine, but spawn a new thread when doing so.
Mea culpa.

Thank you very much for forking the digression.