DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2011
Port Guard

Default Strange internet connection issue

Hello,

I seem to have a pretty wierd issue. I cannot connect to the internet or even reach my gateway with a ping.

But i can connect through it (nat gateway), i can connect to it remotely with ssh.

Are there any logs or something else i can check? been a while since i was using openbsd.

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2011
More noise than signal

Hi, and welcome.

Unfortunately, we're not mind readers and have no clue what your network configuration looks like, what release you are using, what hardware architecture you are using, or how you are conducting your tests. See this thread's opening post for some suggestions of what we need in order to help you.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2011
Port Guard

Hello again,

yh thats pretty obvious isnt it :P sry about that, ill look through the post you linked to and get all that information and post a reply.

Thanks
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by schh View Post
Hello,

I seem to have a pretty wierd issue. I cannot connect to the internet or even reach my gateway with a ping.

But i can connect through it (nat gateway), i can connect to it remotely with ssh.

Are there any logs or something else i can check? been a while since i was using openbsd.

Thanks
This sounds like a bridge or nat router, combined with a good firewall setup,
i.e. your setup is probably working as intended
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2011
Port Guard

i have no blocking out. only two open ports in. everything else works fine. but ill get back with system details. had open bsd many times before. never had this problem.

and yes its a nat router.

thanks for replying
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th June 2011
Port Guard

Hello again,

Well ill post my dmesg, pf config and if config since its network related, as instructed by the perfect newbie ill attach it as a txt file instead of flooding the post.

I think i got the most relevant things. And removed my external ip If theres anything else pls let me know.

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: txt OpenBSD_DeamonForums_attachment.txt (16.0 KB, 55 views)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2011
More noise than signal

Things I found:

1) You have no outbound pass rules in your PF configuration file. That explains your reported symptom. The only traffic permitted outbound will be from any state session established by an inbound pass rule.

2) OpenBSD 4.7 is no longer supported, as of 1 May 2011. The most recent release is 4.9.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2011
More noise than signal

To clarify, your nat-to rule is a pass, but does not apply to packets where your OpenBSD router is the source.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2011
Port Guard

Thanks for your answer, didnt think of that since it passes out from int:network wich my gateway is a part of.

But if the rule only would apply to packets in need of network translation and external traffic i guess would have the ext if as source wich is not in the rule. Probably should be obvious. Works fine now :P

Thank you very much. Guess i learned something, wont be making that mistake again. The hard life of a newbie

/Robert
Old 6th June 2011
More noise than signal

You're welcome.

Personally, I use the "match" PF filter command on my NAT rules to avoid confusion, as recommended in the PF User's Guide chapter on NAT.

In the future, if you ever want to know if PF is blocking or passing packets, you might consider logging your block (and pass) rules with the "log" option, then monitoring pflog0 with tcpdump.

See:
The logging chapter of the PF User's Guide
pflog(4)
tcpdump(8)
pflogd(8)
Old 6th June 2011
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
if you ever want to know if PF is blocking or passing packets, you might consider logging your block (and pass) rules with the "log" option, then monitoring pflog0 with tcpdump.
That's probably the best advice anyone could give for pf troubleshooting...you can see how pf "thinks" when you take the ruleset and actually test it. Once you correlate theory and practice, the rest is easy =)
Port Guard

Im all about learning so i will certailny look into that..in fact..im gonna do it right now..i downloaded the openbsd official pf faq pdf. but im at my gfs house so not really that much sympathy for me doing bsd :P But now shes asleep so im gonna dive right into it.

Thanks for all the advice