DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Port Guard

Smile freebsd mailserver

So, I have bought a domain name and have put up a webserver (apache13 and php5) on my FreeBSD7.0 server.

Now I want to build a simple mailserver for my family. Do you have any tip on a good guide that is up-to date?

I saw this guide http://freebsd.qmailrocks.org/ that uses qmail and squirre mail for webaccess but don´t know if it´s outdated? Has anyone tried it or found some better?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
New User

I personally use Postfix (mail/postfix) as I found the configuration files much easier to use than Sendmail. It works really well for me, and I've never had any issues with it.

It is very easy to setup, the configuration file is very well documented, and normally works straight out of the box.

For IMAP, I use Dovecot, which again is very easy to setup. I use a self-signed certificate for security and I am able to get my mail from Mac OS Mail and my iPhone without issues.

There is a slightly dated tutorial on www.freebsddiary.org (Which works well), however the best documentation I have found is the Postfix book from www.nostarch.com. It will have you up and running very quickly, and it will describe exactly what is going on and how to setup antispam, virus protection and secure SMTP.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

QMail is okay if you know the ins and outs of SMTP, know how to patch software, know how to compile software, and don't mind searching around the Internet to find all the patches for the features you want to enable in QMail. IOW, it's generally not worth the time to use.

Postfix is very nice, has a simple (yet powerful) config file syntax that's written in plain English, and can be configured to do just about anything you can think of. It also interfaces very nicely with various IMAP, AV, and Spam filtering engines (amavisd-new, spamassassin, dspam, clamav, etc). You really can't go wrong using Postfix.

For IMAP, the current trend seems to be to use Dovecot. It's a nice, simple, easy-to-configure IMAP server that has good performance and lots of features. Be sure to configure it for Maildir storage and not mbox.

Adding Squirrelmail into the mix is very simple. I find the best method is to install it from source into /usr/local/share/squirrelmail-x.y.z and then symlink (or use an Apache Alias) it into /usr/local/www/data/webmail. That way, you can do upgrades by just installing the new tarball into /usr/local/share/squirrelmail-a.b.c, create a new symlink (or Alias) for testing, and then just point the webmail/ link (or Alias) to it when you are ready.

There's lots of documentation on Postfix, Dovecot, and Squirrelmail available on their respective websites, and quite a bit of it gets installed on your system along with them.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodog View Post
I saw this guide http://freebsd.qmailrocks.org/ that uses qmail and squirre mail for webaccess but don´t know if it´s outdated? Has anyone tried it or found some better?
This guide uses qmail, but the experts in the qmail community frown upon this guide. They always recommend to follow the setup as outlined in http://lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html.

I have played a lot with qmail but I would not recommend it for a beginner, if he/she doesn't have the willingness to invest some serious quality time in it

If you want to use qmail your only way out of the qmail patching hell, Phoenix warned you for, is the unified Spamcontrol patch set from http://fehcom.de/qmail/spamcontrol.html
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2008
Port Guard

Okay I will go for postfix dovecot and squirrel then. I don´t have that much time to put into this right now and I´m only going to use it for my family so there is absolutely no demands on high power.

can I just install them all from source and get it work? I guess I have to exchange sendmail to postfix?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

If you install postfix as a port (mail/postfix) this will be done automatically for you.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

@ OP
the tutorial here is very good and easy to understand. it will get yourself a postfix+dovecot(+mysql+squirrelmail+++) in no time. goodluck with it.

/v

Last edited by mtx; 31st May 2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: link corrected
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2008
Port Guard

okay so I first need to install mysql?
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Ehm, no?
If it's needed them the ports system will install it automatically for you ... But for a mail server you don't need MySQL...
Port Guard

okay well it installed mysql automatically when I installed postfix. im using the guide you posted and let you now what happens.. if anyone is interested lol :-)
Old 27th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

You can use make config to turn off the MySQL option for postfix...
Port Guard

okay I turned it on because the guide told me to :-) anyway

the guide tells this:
Create and edit /usr/local/etc/apache22/Includes/postfixadmin.conf file:

Alias /postfixadmin/ "/usr/local/www/postfixadmin/"
<Directory "/usr/local/www/postfixadmin/">
Options Indexes
AllowOverride AuthConfig
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

but I have apache 1.3 installed and I cant find this include folder, can I create it or do I need to install apache 22?
Old 27th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

You can just add it to httpd.conf.
New User

Default Tutorial URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx View Post
@ OP
the tutorial here is very good and easy to understand. it will get yourself a postfix+dovecot(+mysql+squirrelmail+++) in no time. goodluck with it.

/v
I checked out that tutorial, but it only covers postfixadmin. There's another article on the site for FreeBSD-Postfix-MySQL-SpamAssassin-Maia-Virtual Setup. Is this the one you were thinking of, mtx?
Old 31st May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv View Post
I checked out that tutorial, but it only covers postfixadmin. There's another article on the site for FreeBSD-Postfix-MySQL-SpamAssassin-Maia-Virtual Setup. Is this the one you were thinking of, mtx?
yes jimv that's exactly the one. wrong link. my bad. sorry

/v
Old 1st June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I have personally used the www.freebsdrocks.net tutorial and it is flawless. w0ls0n also provides support for it also for free/paypal donation. I have 110 users on mine and it is working great! Spam Assassin is great too on it (also in the how to)
Old 4th June 2008
Port Guard

I have completed the whole guide at purplehart.org up to postfixadmin. in the last step that says the following:

#telnet localhost 110
Connected to host.domain.tld.
Escape character is ‘^]’.
+OK ISP Mail Server Ready.
user user@domain.tld (Use the account you created via the web interface)
+OK
pass password (Use password you just created for above user)

When I enter the password I entered in postfixadmin I get the following error:
-ERR Temporary authentication failure.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Any tip on where to look?

Last edited by Demodog; 5th June 2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 5th June 2008
Port Guard

I get this error in /var/log/maillog:

15:37:44 isabelle postfix/proxymap[892]: warning: connect to mysql server localhost: Access denied for user 'postfix'@'
Jun 5 15:37:44 isabelle postfix/trivial-rewrite[946]: fatal: proxy:mysql:/usr/local/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf(0
Jun 5 15:37:45 isabelle postfix/master[720]: warning: process /usr/local/libexec/postfix/trivial-rewrite pid 946 exit status
Jun 5 15:37:45 isabelle postfix/master[720]: warning: /usr/local/libexec/postfix/trivial-rewrite: bad command startup -- thro
Jun 5 15:37:45 isabelle postfix/qmgr[891]: warning: problem talking to service rewrite: Interrupted system call
Old 10th June 2008
Port Guard

i have a copy of freebsd 6 unleashed and i just looked up the mail server section. after a quick glance it looks like this book really favors sendmail and that sendmail should work pretty much out of the box (just by adding sendmail_enable="YES" to the rc.conf)
Old 10th June 2008
Risen from the ashes

Of course it would favour sendmail, since sendmail ships with FreeBSD.

However, unless you are going to take the time to learn all the funky 2-letter codes that sendmail uses in the config file, or are going to take the time to learn all the funky m4 macros that "make configuring sendmail simpler", then it's not worth trying to use sendmail.

Back in the day, sendmail was great. Now, there are much nicer, simpler, easier-to-use alternatives.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.