DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2009
Port Guard

Default Can not install MySql5.1 because FreeBSD shuts down!

Hi everyone,

I am coming accross something very weird.
The installation of the mysql51-server port on my FreeBSD 7.2 box triggers the... system temperature alarm and the system shuts down!

I know it is weird... no I am not drunk... .. I have some doubts still but.... I am pretty convinced now.

Theese are the events:

The system was on for reinstallation. I am taking care of this and making guidelines for each step. So it had been on for two and a half days (it is a server) when I started the installation of mysql51-server ("make install clean" inside the port folder).
Some minuts later, a bip was sent by the system, with, among the compilation lines, the following message :

Code:
Message from syslogd@TestServer at Jun 18 16:44:25 ...

TestServer root: WARNING: system temperature too high, shutting down soon!
Time for me to read it, it desappeared between the other lines, the monitor went black and silence was there. The server was off.

It was surprising as this machine used to run for months non-stop!
But i thought ok, it may need to rest a while.

The next day (24h later!!!!), I booted the system, launched a couple of services then started the installation again. Same thing happened!! Complete time on : 32 minuts!!!
That was suspicious! how could the machine resist 2.5 days before reaching temperature limit in one case and 32 min in the over case??
I booted it again, straight away, launched the services, then executed a bunch of commands in a row:
- Move 50+ Gb of data
- Update port tree and all installed ports (350+ patches available at the time)
- Install postgresql83
- Clean port tree
Everything went smoothly, no alarm. I let it on a couple of hours, installed a couple of other things, 4h+ with no issues.

Then I tried again mysql51-server.... same bip, same message, same silence...

I let it off for about 5 hours. Then booted it and hands on the keyboard, as fast as i could:
- ssh login
- su root
- portinstall databases/mysql51-server
Total uptime between boot and shutdown, less than 10 min!!!!

I rebooted straight away and tried to install mysql60-server. It complained about 5.1 client being installed (so the installation of the client, included in the one of the server, had succeeded). I deinstalled it and tried to install the 6.0 again. Everything went fine and the machine is still running, more than 24 hours later.

So... my last doubts are because:
1 Missing information:
- I don't have the records of the exact temperatures of the different sensors. If someone knows are to get them, please tell me how.

2 Potential reasons:
- Hardware failure : One or more parts are agonizing... but symptoms are visible only when installing mysql51-server
- This could, eventually, possibly, surprisingly... (you got my point) happen if this specific port (mysql51-server) was requiring, at compilation time, a specific operation that would physically raised the system temperature to the limit.
- This limit could, as well, be set too low and only this port brings the system to this point.

The two last possibilities would be quite surprising for me as the server worked before with this port, under FreeBSD 7.0 with no issues.

If anyone has an explaination to this or has already seen this, please share. Workaround are welcome too.

Thank you
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
Port Guard

Is the restart taking place approximately at the same point during compilation? Can you monitor the load in another console using top?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
1 Missing information:
- I don't have the records of the exact temperatures of the different sensors. If someone knows are to get them, please tell me how.
This depends on your CPU, post the output of:
% dmesg | grep CPU

Quote:
2 Potential reasons:
- Hardware failure : One or more parts are agonizing... but symptoms are visible only when installing mysql51-server
- This could, eventually, possibly, surprisingly... (you got my point) happen if this specific port (mysql51-server) was requiring, at compilation time, a specific operation that would physically raised the system temperature to the limit.
- This limit could, as well, be set too low and only this port brings the system to this point.
I've never experienced a ``false positive'' with temperature/heat problems, but it certainly is odd that you can install 400 ports and not this one specific port.

You can also use a command such as:
% make > ~/log 2>&1
To see where things are going wrong exactly.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th July 2009
Port Guard

Sorry for a very late reply.
I could not perform the required test as the server was already in use.

But when I tried to update it, the same thing happened. But this time, it was not mysql port.

By monitoring the cpu temperature with:

Quote:
sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
I found out that the alarm was fired as soon as the cpu (I don't know which one) was reaching 60° C. I don't know if there is a problem with the material but a limit of 60°C for 2 XEON 3.2 GHz I have the feeling that it is pretty low!

Is there a way to set the limit of the alarm higher?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th July 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Usually this in done in the BIOS setup. On x86 PC's this usually means connecting a monitor and keyboard, rebooting, and going into the BIOS to change the option. Some server boards also support serial connections, but you usually will need to set that up first (With a monitor and keyboard...)
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th July 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsawe View Post
...limit of 60°C for 2 XEON 3.2 GHz I have the feeling that it is pretty low!
According to http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL72Y.html the maximum case temp is 71. As the temperature readings from the thermistor underneath the CPU will be lower, 60 is probably the appropriate forced shutdown temperature.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2009
Port Guard

Well,

It seems that the material was the cause. I looked into the settings of the bios and... yes.. the voltage of the cpus as been set to 1.6V causing the temperature to climb crazily. I switch it to 1.5V (the bios doesn't allow more precise changes) and now, the temperature does not go over 54° in full charge.

Thank you for your help and once again, the weird thing turns out to have the simplest explanation.