DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Port Guard

Default From 5.8-current to 5.8 Release

Hi All,
one my server is still running current
Code:
OpenBSD 5.8-current (GENERIC) #1278: Mon Sep  7 06:55:09 MDT 2015
    deraadt@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC
real mem = 520081408 (495MB)
avail mem = 500461568 (477MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0
acpi0 at bios0: rev 0
acpi0: sleep states S5
and I would like to upgrade to release.
Can I expect that OpenBSD 5.8-current will be tagged on 18.10.2015 and becomes -release? http://www.openbsd.org/58.html
Can I still upgrade my 5.8-current till 18.10.2015 not to have newer kernel than 5.8-release?
Thanks
Valus
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
More noise than signal

No, your current system is a couple of months past the next -release. Releases are settled several months earlier, in order to prepare for CD production and package building for all architectures.

You will need to re-install if you want to "downgrade" to 5.8-release.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Port Guard

OK, and how do I know that current is tagged and becomes release when I do not build from source?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
More noise than signal

1. Follow ports@. There are announcements when the ports tree is locked and later unlocked. Locking of the ports tree happens earlier than the base, and unlocking happens after the base, but it is a clear indicator of the transition.
  2. The CVS log for src/sys/conf/newvers.sh will show you when the source is being prepared for release, then revised again once the release has been set. As with ports@, this is broader than the actual date of tagging.
  3. The cvsweb portal will show OPENBSD_X_Y_BASE tags within hours of the release being tagged.
  4. Keep a local CVS repository with CVSync, and log updates daily. When your daily log is very large, because every file gets tagged, you'll know the transition has occurred.
I happen to use #4. I have a local CVS repository because I maintain both -stable and -current systems.

Last edited by jggimi; 5th October 2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added cvsweb link
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valus View Post
OK, and how do I know that current is tagged and becomes release when I do not build from source?
  • For the past few years, the spring release has been tagged around mid-February -- early March.
  • The fall release has been tagged late-August -- mid-September.
Given the lead time needed to get the official CD sets pressed to disc, take the general release dates (1 May & 1 November), work backwards, & this will gives a window when tagging is likely to occur.

This is only a heuristic, & watching CVS is far more accurate.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
  1. Follow ports@. There are announcements when the ports tree is locked and later unlocked. Locking of the ports tree happens earlier than the base, and unlocking happens after the base, but it is a clear indicator of the transition.
  2. The CVS log for src/sys/conf/newvers.sh will show you when the source is being prepared for release, then revised again once the release has been set. As with ports@, this is broader than the actual date of tagging.
  3. The cvsweb portal will show OPENBSD_X_Y_BASE tags within hours of the release being tagged.
  4. Keep a local CVS repository with CVSync, and log updates daily. When your daily log is very large, because every file gets tagged, you'll know the transition has occurred.
I happen to use #4. I have a local CVS repository because I maintain both -stable and -current systems.
Thanks for information.
So if I want to see date of OPENBSD_X_Y_BASE is it enough to check it via http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cv...onf/newvers.sh
like here OPENBSD_5_8_BASE on Thu Jul 23 16:26:57 2015 UTC
Code:
Revision 1.139 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Thu Jul 23 16:26:57 2015 UTC (2 months, 1 week ago) by deraadt 
Branch: MAIN 
CVS Tags: OPENBSD_5_8_BASE 
Branch point for: OPENBSD_5_8 
Changes since 1.138: +3 -3 lines
Diff to previous 1.138 (colored)

remove -beta tag.  take that as a hint.
And at this time to stop upgrade and then just wait for release?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
More noise than signal

Yes, that would be a good point to stop if if you want to later upgrade to -release.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Port Guard

This time I missed the upgrade to 5.8 release and will continue with upgrading of current.
Quote:
bash-4.3$ dmesg | head -10
OpenBSD 5.8-current (GENERIC) #1330: Sun Oct 4 12:23:41 MDT 2015
deraadt@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC
real mem = 520081408 (495MB)
avail mem = 500297728 (477MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.4 @ 0x1ffffec0 (10 entries)
bios0: vendor Seabios version "0.5.1" date 01/01/2007
bios0: Red Hat KVM
I hope that I do not miss upgrade to 5.9 and stop upgrading of current on time .
Thank you for your time.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
More noise than signal

Consider re-installation at 5.8 if you wish to leave the -current branch. It is not that difficult if you reinstall and then restore local data from backup.
Old 7th October 2015
Port Guard

Thanks for this. I also missed that the snapshots are made from -current and are ahead of the upcoming release. Waiting for 5.9 now
Old 19th October 2015
Port Guard

I did actually install 5.8 release over the -current snapshot I had using bsd.rd and the upgrade option. Everything worked fine except for installed packages that had to reinstalled from scratch. I also had to trace down some leftover files such as the newer libc.so and delete them.
Old 19th October 2015
More noise than signal

Be careful. Your "downgrade" via the upgrade script may still have unexpected -current components remaining, even after your manual deletions. It's an unsupported process for valid reasons.

The supported process to downgrade from -current to -release is to install the -release, then restore selected components from backup, such as:
  1. /home
  2. /root
  3. local /etc provisioning
  4. application data stored in /var.