DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Default PDF forms

Could people kindly share their experience in filling in PDF forms. I am an OpenBSD so Acrobat 8.0 and above is not an option for me. In general I use mupdf to see pdf documents. I do have xpdf installed on my desktops as Xfig dependency but non of these two viewers can edit PDF forms. I am looking for a
simple solution.

I do not use Scribus so I am curious how good is Scribus in creating those PDF
forms i.e. embedding Java Script into PDF.

Thank you.
OKO

P.S. Is PDFedit getting any better to use. I recall it was a nightmare couple a years ago. If they still use Qt3 libraries I can try to port it to OpenBSD but it would be a major project.

Last edited by Oko; 20th April 2010 at 06:17 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2010
Arp Constable

I believe that pdftk can fill forms (command line app), and I believe evince /or modern poppler may have some support for forms but have never used it. If you've got a suitable sample form to test with, I'll see what I can come up with later on my laptop.

While I use nether application, I can tell you that both PDFedit and Scribus are still using Qt3. The Scribus website is offline right now but Google shows a few articles on their wiki that might help: Your first PDF form with Scribus (cache) and How to enhance your PDF forms with JavaScript (cache). So at least Scribus can use JavaScript with PDF forms, in some form. I don't know if it's enough to support what you need to do though.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2010
Too dumb for a smartphone

Further to evince, yes it seems to support this. I have version 2.24.2 (far from the latest) here and to my surprize it works more or less.

Typing text into a field seems to be ok.

Clicking a check box also works, but the display that the box is checked is not very clear.

The "Clear Button" (clear the form) doesn't always seem to clear everything.

All that is just based on a very quick test with one form document. You may want to try a newer version of evince. Then again, it's gnome-related GPL software so you may prefer to avoid it like the plague.

ADDED: Tried evince 2.28.2 with similar results.

Last edited by IdOp; 21st April 2010 at 06:06 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd April 2010
ISO Quartermaster

I use Adobe Acrobat. Works really well.

/*ducks*/