DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th November 2011
New User

Default Need help with sidekick lx 2009

Hi

I read on wikipedia that the mobile phone sidekick lx 2009 has the DangerOS 5.1 which is built on NetBSD which eventually brings me here to this forum.
I am looking for help with installing applications on my phone.
If this is the right place please help else if u have any info on where i can get help please point the right direction.

Thanx
H2
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th November 2011
Tcpdump Spy

The source cited in wikipedia is this:
http://www.hiptop3.com/archives/side...ill-run-netbsd

Which in turn links to:
http://www.hiptop3.com/archives/what...d-mean-for-you

Quote:
OK, I felt the need to clear some things up regarding NetBSD being used for the m3/Sidekick Blade/Sidekick LX 2009.

What does it mean for you? Nothing. You still won’t see any Non-Catalog 3rd party applications, you won’t see a “Jailbreak”, you won’t see free rangt0n3z… none of this will happen with the Blade running NetBSD as it’s foundation. Sorry to burst any bubbles.

What you might and probably see however… is a more stable, reliable and powerful device. NetBSD/*nix is a rock solid foundation to build on top of (Bravo Danger for the choice) and I’m going to bet you as the end user will see a much more stable device that doesn’t crash and reboot nearly as much as previously (Although for us the LX was/is a very stable and reliable device).

So, let’s break this down again. No free applications or ringtones outside of the catalog on the blade.
I'm not at all familiar with these devices though, but it looks like this is not a very "open" mobile platform.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th November 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2DAZ View Post
I read on wikipedia that the mobile phone sidekick lx 2009 has the DangerOS 5.1 which is built on NetBSD...
Danger has customized the NetBSD kernel for their environment. The userland layer on top of it is not the same as a stock NetBSD installation, & I am sure that the display requires specific drivers not common to a generic NetBSD install. Whether these drivers are available to the public is unknown (to me). To find help with installing applications, you will need to search for Danger-specific mailing lists for further information. What little time I spent looking for one didn't yield any results, so I tend to agree with Carpetsmoker's assessment that this device may not be very open, but the amount of research either one of us has put into the venture is quite small. You should search further for more information.