DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd October 2017
Fdisk Soldier

Default dmesg wakeup devices?

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to determine what the wakeup device codes in my dmesg(8) mean and how to use this information to configure these devices.

The devices are exactly the same as those listed in this post on waking from sleep:

Code:

acpi0: wakeup devices LID_(S3) SLPB(S3) IGBE(S4) EXP4(S4) EXP7(S4) EHC1(S3) EHC2(S3) HDEF(S4)
I'm pretty sure S3 is suspend ($ zzz) and S4 is hibernate ($ ZZZ).

Since I want to find all possible ways to wake the computer from a suspended state, I need to understand the S3 codes.

The first S3 device (LID_) is obviously the laptop lid. The second one (SLPB) is the model-specific "sleep button", which I found by reading the laptop manual. Both of these devices work out of the box and need no configuration.

The last two (EHC1 and EHC2) are the unknown devices. They appear to be ehci(4) controllers that interface with USB 2.0 devices, but I can't figure out which pieces of hardware are involved.

Using the instructions in https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...ump-in-openbsd and acpidump(8) as a guide, I ran

Code:
$ cd /var/db/acpi
$ doas iasl -d DSDT.2
to disassemble the Differentiated System Description Table, then examined the output file, /var/db/acpi/DSDT.dsl. I found 'Device (EHC1)' and 'Device (EHC2)' followed, in both cases, by:

Code:
Name (_PRW, Package (0x03)  // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
{
    0x0D, 
    0x03, 
    \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.PUBS
})
This is another confirmation that EHC1 and EHC2 refer to wakeup devices.

According to the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Specification, '\_SB.PCI0' are Device/Bus Objects, 'PCI0' is the PCI bus, 'LPC' is the LPC bus (I think), and 'EC' is an embedded controller. The spec doesn't seem to say anything about 'PUBS'.

And it doesn't help me figure out which piece(s) of user-accessible hardware and/or peripherals (if any) are attached to these devices.

I also tried to organize the relevant lines in my dmesg(8) into a device tree order. Nothing really useful there either. My added comments are in green.

Code:
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
ehci0 at pci0 dev 26 function 0 "Intel 6 Series USB" rev 0x04: apic 2 int 16
usb0 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub0 at usb0 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
uhub2 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel Rate Matching Hub" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2
uhub3 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Standard Microsystems product 0x2514" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 3
uhub4 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "Genesys Logic USB2.0 Hub" rev 2.00/32.98 addr 4 // KVM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
uhidev0 at uhub4 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0 "Griffin Technology, Inc. iMate, USB To ADB Adaptor" rev 1.00/3.70 addr 5
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes // external keyboard (fully functional after starting X)

uhidev1 at uhub4 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1 "Griffin Technology, Inc. iMate, USB To ADB Adaptor" rev 1.00/3.70 addr 5
uhidev1: iclass 3/1
ums0 at uhidev1: 3 buttons // unused mouse

uhidev2 at uhub4 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "Dell Dell USB Optical Mouse" rev 2.00/43.01 addr 6
uhidev2: iclass 3/1
ums1 at uhidev2: 3 buttons, Z dir // USB mouse in use
======================================================================================================================
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
ehci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 0 "Intel 6 Series USB" rev 0x04: apic 2 int 23
usb1 at ehci1: USB revision 2.0
uhub1 at usb1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
uhub5 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel Rate Matching Hub" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2
uhidev3 at uhub5 port 5 configuration 1 interface 0 "Tablet ISD-V4" rev 1.10/1.39 addr 3
uhidev3: iclass 3/0, 17 report ids
uhidev4 at uhub5 port 5 configuration 1 interface 1 "Tablet ISD-V4" rev 1.10/1.39 addr 3
uhidev4: iclass 3/0, 16 report ids
So, in my dmesg(8), I have:
EHC1 and EHC2 are wakeup devices
ehci0 and ehci1 as "Intel 6 Series USB"
ehci0 eventually attaches to the external keyboard at ukbd0
ehci0 eventually attaches to the mouse at ums1
ehci1 eventually attaches to the Tablet ISD-V4 at uhidev3 and uhidev4

If I understand the output correctly, 'ehci0' is the external keyboard and mouse, 'ehci1' is the Tablet, and there are two wakeup devices that somehow correspond to these human interface devices.

Is there any way to determine how the wakeup devices EHC1 and EHC2 relate to user-accessible hardware and/or peripherals, and are there ways to configure these devices (especially the mouse and keyboard) to wake up the computer on demand?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd October 2017
More noise than signal

I can't help with your wakeup mission, but I can point to sysutils/dmassage as a tool to show the tree structure of device drivers in a dmesg.