DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th October 2013
Administrator

Default for all who love suspend/resume

Tweaks are being made changing how SMBIOS code is parsing ACPI over APM in -current. This may adversely effect how well suspend/resume works on older hardware. More information can be found in Theo's check-in:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=138193091005160&w=2

FYI.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th October 2013
More noise than signal

Thank you for pointing this out. I don't follow cvs changes -- I will typically only review the change logs in $CVSROOT when searching for something specific. I'm going to have to return to reviewing these daily.

This change doesn't affect me. The only machine I suspend/resume uses acpi(4).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st October 2013
Administrator

Short anecdote.

I installed the October 15 i386 -current snapshot on my Dell R210 last night, & quickly noticed that the fans began running at a faster rate than normal -- indicating that the temperature monitoring of the CPU was not quite right. After building new kernels (& releases...) to match what is at the head of CVS today (October 20), fan management seems to be back to normal.

The point here, although I cannot claim to have tracked this down to exact lines in the code, is that perhaps some of problems posted to misc@ on these AML/power management issues may have been resolved. Other issues on other hardware may still remain. This is only a single data point using my Dell R210.

YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Last edited by ocicat; 21st October 2013 at 04:39 AM. Reason: add clarity