DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2015
Shell Scout

Default What do these messages from pkg_add mean?

When I update -current and then run "pkg_add -u" I get many messages of this form:

lyx-2.1.4->2.1.4: ok
pwgen-2.07p0->2.07p0: ok

This seems to indicate that the packages in question have been updated to the same versions that already exist on the system. which doesn't make much sense. Then I thought perhaps it meant that there has been no change in the packages, but if I rerun "pkg_add -u" all the packages are now shown as "no change". So evidently the messages I see on the first run do indicate updates. There is certainly a lot of downloading and "extracting" going on.

I seem to be missing something elementary about the update process but I can't find it explained anywhere. This isn't a practical problem but I'd like to understand what the messages mean. Any pointers to relevant documentation?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2015
More noise than signal

These updates occur because the package signature changed. Typically, an underlying library was revised and these rebuilt packages point to, and use, the revised library. A package which does not get such an update will still point to the old library.

If it's a system library (/usr/lib), and you've upgraded with bsd.rd either from -release to -release or perhaps from -current to -current, the bsd.rd upgrade script doesn't ever remove old libraries.

If it's a third party library (/usr/local/lib), the pkg_add(1) tool will delete old libraries during an update only if no other package depends upon it. But more often, because there are packages depending on libraries, it won't delete it -- it renames it to a .lib-* package, so there can be multiple versions of the library in /usr/local/lib. These old libraries will be deleted only after you've updated packages so that nothing depends on the old library, and you've issued pkg_delete(1) with the -a option to delete any automatically installed package (such as dependencies) on which nothing now depends.

If you run # pkg_delete -a now, you may see a few .lib-* packages being deleted.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2015
Shell Scout

Thanks very much - that's extremely clear and helpful.