DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2018
New User

Default Recommended configuration for a VM server

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone could recommend the "best" way to configure a
11.1 machine based on the following

x4 ssd's
x2 nics
no 99.99% requirement as this is a build/project
access to another freebsd nas

Drive Configuration:
what would be the best drive configuration..

a stripe with a snapshot rotation / replication to the nas or just stick with a rz1 or mirror?

For encryption : is full disk encryption preferable? or should I encrypt just the /zroot/jails/vm vdev?

In sysctl.conf
are there and vfs.zfs options that should be considered for ssd's or bhyve performance?

I was also toying with the idea of requiring the servers be deployed as a pair for HA / self healing via zfs replication.

Host configuration:

Is it best to leave bhyve installed on the host? and then create vm's directly on the host with images in say /zpool/opt/virtual/vm1

or should I be installing bhyve in a jail on the host and running all of the vms in that?

what is the best way to take advantage of 2 nics... or should I only use one and bridge a tap device? or two bridges .. or combine them? etc.

the device will serve the internal network and will be protected by an openbsd machine.

Final Thoughts

Ideally the purpose is to create a salable automated host with a configuration manager. IE: run a openbsd relayd vm with 3 freebsd web servers behind it.

I understand there are already some tools like cbsd that have automated puppet and vm's / jails ect.. but the purpose here is to learn the best way to do it myself as a project.

Any advice, thoughts or additional comments would be great.

Thanks