DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2018
New User

Default ~1 MB/s write and 4KB/t ntfs-3g on OpenBSD 6.3

Hello everybody,

I'm using ntfs-3g to share data between a Windows external (USB) hdd and my OpenBSD laptop.

Using iostat I noticed however that transaction size is 4KB. For that ntfs-3g(8) mentions big_writes option. However, even after mounting using -o big_writes it still does only 4KB per transaction and about 300 transactions per second hence ~1.2MB/s.

I also noticed that mount command did not show the big_writes option for the ntfs partition. I was wondering if others have the same problem or if its something on my end?

Many Thanks,
Ed
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2018
Port Guard

Default ntfs-3g is very slow on OpenBSD for me

That would explain why i get so low speed while copying files to my external ntfs usb drive everytime, i installed the version from ports, and i mount it as usual, with no argument at all:

$ doas ntfs-3g /dev/sd2i /mnt/usb

And everytime the copying is so slow, and also when i get to the computer again, i need to umount it because if i try to access it in any way, the entire system hangs so bad, giving some fuse errors in the TTY console that i need to power it off to use it again. But the files are copied OK, si i never complained, but its far for working good actually.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2018
More noise than signal

The ntfs-3g application uses FUSE and while the FUSE library and kernel interface function on OpenBSD, there are limitations to its capabilities and performance.

In the event you have a read-only requirement for NTFS, mount_ntfs(8) has superior performance as it does not require FUSE.