DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2015
Semper deinceps corda

Default Automatic heat shutdown.

Under heavy load NetBSD shutdowns to protect the hardware from heat. This make me wonder about power and frequency management. Powerd is active (I guess it is who shutdowns the system), and I know about machdep.est.frequency.target. Is there a way to dynamically lower the system's performance to keep the machine running?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2015
Semper deinceps corda

I have installed estd as well, but frequency sets to the lowest in the interval and does not scales up.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2015
New User

You may want to verify that the system is actually overheating using a liveCD/DVD linux disc. I've had at least one NetBSD system exhibit what you've described and it turned out to be buggy sensor reporting - a "255" value for temp - which triggered the powerd shutdown script. After verifying that in fact the system temp rarely fluctuated I simply tweaked the powerd script to do nothing (very light system load; seemed pretty safe to do).